MozillaZine

Pre-Quantum other than Waterfox with July 2018+ updates?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
c627627

Post Posted May 31st, 2018, 12:05 pm

After the last security update to Fx ESR 52 in June, will there be anything else with July 2018 and beyond updates on which pre-Quantum extensions will still work?

It has been posted on the forums that Waterfox will be the only browser where we could still use pre-Quantum extensions on, and have it security patched with July 2018 and beyond updates.
Just making sure nothing else exists in preparation for FX 52 ESR End of Life.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.

Frank Lion

Post Posted June 1st, 2018, 12:44 am

c627627 wrote:It has been posted on the forums that Waterfox will be the only browser where we could still use pre-Quantum extensions on, and have it security patched with July 2018 and beyond updates

Maybe for a month or two until it bases, as planned, off Firefox 60.

In fairness to the Waterfox guy, he's been upfront about plans, albeit sufficiently vague that some people just fill in their own blanks and believe whatever they wanted to believe.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

c627627

Post Posted June 1st, 2018, 7:19 am

I see thank you.

So since Fx60 is Quantum, old extensions incompatible with Quantum would be killed... Thank you.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.

JodyThornton

Post Posted June 1st, 2018, 5:56 pm

@c627627

Well the Pale Moon guys have that Basilisk browser.
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/29/re-ba ... -released/

It's a reworking of Firefox ESR v52. I had some issues getting it to run, so I gave up on it quickly. However, the MSFN team (a fellow named Roytam1) has been working on an XP/Vista compatible version of Basilisk (in x86 and x64) that work equally well on newer systems. It's received some praise.

So there is another option. It appears it's better than a hit-and-miss chance that Basilisk will run your XUL add-ons. Something to try I guess.

I'm gearing up to go Quantum on my new system, so my sights are set in a different direction. I wish you luck though
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

Return to Third Party/Unofficial Builds