MozillaZine

Seamonkey 2.49 update disabled my mail.com account

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bobziesmer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 11:54 am

Post Posted December 12th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Hello!

If this has been covered elsewhere, I could not find it, so I'll post and see what happens.

A few days ago, I saw that SeaMonkey wanted me to update to 2.49 so I did. (I started to use SeaMonkey years ago after Netscape ended.) After updating, when I checked my email, my Mail.com account gave me a message about a bad certificate and the option to make an exception and save it, which I did. Following that, the message kept returning at each mail check, and no new emails were being downloaded.

I looked for answers online and saw that this had happened in the past with SeaMonkey and Thunderbird, but nothing recently.

After a day and a half of trying different things, including installing Thunderbird which gave me the exact same problem, I tried a different program, eM Client, which worked fine. In desperation to keep my email accounts together and working as well as they have for many years, I downloaded and reinstalled the old 2.46 release, which installed smoothly right over the 2.49 with no questions or glitches. YES!! Now my email is working fine again, and the messages that were stopped up on the server are now where they belong.

This is a good temporary fix, but sooner or later I will have to update, if for nothing else but my peace of mind over security. Anyone who has faced this problem and has a solution, or who can shed ANY light on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Bob

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 18474
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted December 13th, 2017, 10:51 am

Is this webmail, POP or IMAP?

a message about a bad certificate and the option to make an exception

That doesn't sound right & is not to be expected.
Might your A/V be interfering?

Does SeaMonkey Mail / TB have a log of actions taken on mail check/failure?

Creating accounts in Thunderbird for popular email providers

https://support.mail.com/premium/index.html
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

bobziesmer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 11:54 am

Post Posted December 14th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Thank you for the interest. This is checking a Premium POP3 account at Mail.com with the SeaMonkey Mail client.

This is the setup I use which worked and still works fine in SM 2.46, in fact everywhere I tried except SM 2.49/TB.
Server pop1.mail.com
Port 995
Security SSL/TLS
Normal Password

A/V is Avira Free

Now, it may be that the Mail.com certificate IS really improper (I honestly doubt it), and the version 2.49 caught it, but when I tell it to make an exception and save it, SeaMonkey (and TB) totally ignore the request. I guess why ask to override if you can't?

Also, I really don't know about any logs, but am willing to look if pointed in the right direction.

I guess I'm getting too old for this crap. At least headstones aren't digital, YET!

BTW, I usually scan and cull my email with Pop Peeper before going to SeaMonkey, and it has had no problems, and was updated during the past week.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 18474
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted December 14th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

bobziesmer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 11:54 am

Post Posted December 15th, 2017, 11:16 am

therube:

I looked at the video and am blown away. Thank you for the link.

bobziesmer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 11:54 am

Post Posted December 16th, 2017, 10:24 am

PROBLEM SOLVED

I talked to someone who had experienced the same issue with a different provider and solved it, and his solution worked for me.

When the notification popped up asking to make an exception, it listed the server certificate as 1pop.mail.com 595, and a button to check on it. When I clicked, it said it could not find the certificate. So what the hell do I know? I knew the 595 was the port, and this message was generated by the program, so move on.

So my friend said recheck my server settings and at the exception popup, replace the 1mail.com 595 with just the server name alone: pop.mail.com and check it. I still had Thunderbird installed giving me this error, so I opened it and found that the server name was showing as 1pop.mail.com. I dropped the "1", and saved, and at the exception popup made the change and checked the name. The message popped up that the certificate was found, no exception needed and closed the window. I asked to check the mail, and it asked for my password for the account. Why?? I don't know, but I entered it, selected save, clicked, and down came the mail.

Really encouraged, I reinstalled SeaMonkey 2.49, and did the exact same sequence of steps. SM 2.49 is now working just fine.

I don't know why the extra characters showed up on the server name and exception popup, and just on this account, but they did, and that error was the issue. I imagine that someone who knows more about these certificates (like my friend) would have seen the problem at the first popup.

I would suggest that if someone has the same issue with another email provider after making the upgrade, check your server settings to make sure they are correct, correct any errors, then try this when asked to make an exception.

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests