User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
I have installed Seamonkey 2.40 (the US version) in Puppy Tahr linux. When I click on it in the desktop menu, it immediately goes to the Seamonkey home page where there is a message saying that I have an unstable version installed - 2.29.1. It also suggests a couple of fixes to try if you are getting this message despite having installed the latest version. I have already tried these and they haven't worked.
I tried clicking on 'Help' then 'about Seamonkey', and even there it shows as Seamonkey 2.29.1. I do not have any other versions installed but this one.
Also, when I go into Preferences and then 'manage search engines', Yahoo UK shows up instead of just Yahoo, which seems odd if it's supposed to be the US version. I have reinstalled this version of Seamonkey several times and this keeps happening. Is there some other solution I can try?
Moving to SeaMonkey Support.
The SeaMonkey 2.29.1 version that is running may be the package version the old Puppy Linux 6.0 tahrpup from Oct 28, 2014 comes with. Makes sense as the old SeaMonkey 2.29.1 was released Sept 24, 2014.
If you used the SeaMonkey 2.40 tarball archive from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ then the desktop menu you are using to run SeaMonkey is pointing to the SM 2.29.1 and not the 2.40 script.
Just create a desktop or menu launcher to the SeaMonkey 2.40 script file in SeaMonkey 2.40 folder. There is a seamonkey.png icon you can use in the seamonkey/chrome/icons/default folder.
Hi James - I reinstalled Seamonkey with the link you provided in your post, and it works perfectly now. I'm not sure what happened here. I was going to the Seamonkey website via the Pale Moon browser (provided by default in Puppy Tahr - I'm using PT version 6.0.2 which came out early in 2015) and at the top of the page was always the English/British download. I would then go to the downloads page and select the English/US option and download that. Maybe the British version was placed there by accident, I don't know, but your link had the US version at the top of the page, so I figured I'd give it one more try, and if I still had problems I would then try your suggestions. It was the correct version, apparently. Thank you for your suggestions - if I have similar problems with future updates of Seamonkey I may still need to use them.
Make sure the SeaMonkey folder has read/write permissions for the user as a easy way is to put it in /home so you can get SeaMonkey updates.
Since you are using 32-bit Linux this was easy. If you had 64-bit then you would need to get it from say https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.40/contrib/ in which there is only a en-US version.
OK James - thanks again!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests