MozillaZine

Eudora vs Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Donald Empson

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 10:35 am

Having used Eudora for years, I had to recently switch to Thunderbird for technical reasons relating to my ISP. It has taken me about a month to learn the ins and outs of Thunderbird, but I have to say, I think Eudora was, overall, a better mail program. I think Thunderbird is great for the casual user, probably better than Eudora, but for the person (Like myself) who relies on their email for a business, Eudora was better. (sigh)

SK.

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 10:36 am

Is there a question or suggestion hiding in there somewhere? Which specific aspects of Thunderbird are you finding lacking?

This discussion belongs in the Thunderbird General forum. However, you need to be registered to post there. Please register, return to this thread to let us know and we can move this thread to that forum. Please don't just cross-post this topic there.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13

ardvaark65

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 11:06 am

Donald Empson wrote:Having used Eudora for years, I had to recently switch to Thunderbird for technical reasons relating to my ISP. It has taken me about a month to learn the ins and outs of Thunderbird, but I have to say, I think Eudora was, overall, a better mail program. I think Thunderbird is great for the casual user, probably better than Eudora, but for the person (Like myself) who relies on their email for a business, Eudora was better. (sigh)

Let me see? $50+ Eudora with the same functionality vs. Thunderbird $0! Nothing I have in my retail sales online business prohibits my use and I am happy withThunderbird.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 1:29 pm

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Eudora

Eudora 8 is free and based on Thunderbird. Its still in beta test, Eudora b4 was released October 31st. It appears to be based on changes added to the alpha 3 builds of the unreleased Thunderbird 3 rather than Thunderbird 2.0.0.17. There is also a Penelope extension that adds some of the Eudora features to Thunderbird which you could use with 2.0.0.17.

Can you identfy a few core features from the old Eudora that are missing in Thunderbird? Somebody might be able to point you to an extension that adds similar functionality, though the look and feel will be different.

hello_folks

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Yes. Whole of the features of Eudora is missing in fact.

Most renowned feature of Eudora is MDI-GDI. I do not like to open a millions of windows on my taskbar (which is the case if you spend 10 mins in TB) and have them all lost once the program closes / crashed.

TB is nothing near. Just very recently some tabbing support was added... but it is not the same thing.

To do a single click job i Eudora takes me 10+ clicks in TB (search entire mails for example).

TB is Outlook Express clone. And if i wanted to use Outlook Express, i would have used it 10 years before TB.

Unfortunately, Eudora is dead. And Eudora 8 is TB plus Eudora icons.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 3:05 pm

"To do a single click job i Eudora takes me 10+ clicks in TB (search entire mails for example)."

Perhaps you need to spend more time playing with different ways to do things. I keep the quick search control at the right end of the toolbar set to "entire message" so I'm able to search the contents of all of the messages in the current folder with a single click. I also like to create a virtual folder that combines all of the inboxs of my accounts using http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search , so that I can search them using two clicks. I could also create a custom view (need to enable the view list box control in the toolbar if you want to do that) and switch to that if its something I search for regularly, such as certain tags.

Some things may require a lot more clicks but if you're not willing to experiment then yes, Thunderbird will never be anything more than a Outlook Express clone as far as you're concerned.

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 4:44 pm

"Perhaps you need to spend more time playing with different ways to do things. I keep the quick search control at the right end of the toolbar set to "entire message" so I'm able to search the contents of all of the messages in the current folder with a single click."

No, you are not able to search all of hte messages. You just search the contents of the message with "entire message". If the phrase you are looking for is in Subject, you are missing it. If it is in To: you are missing it. If it is in From: you are missing it. Can check "Subject and To:" ... or "Subject and From:" and you will still be missing the one on the left out To/From. Suppose you did those 4 clicks... But it was in Message-ID... you still missed it. Whatever kind of search that is...

That is a feature i was accustomed to using since 15 years... long before before IE! even before Netscape! let alone Mozilla.

I don't want these "-- " seperators screwing up the layout of my signatures. Since 2 years, it is the same thing. I spent days reading the forums... no solutions. Yet in 15 years, i am yet to see those lines in somebody's email before their signatures! Please!

I have been a systems administrator long before people knew what computers were let alone what internet is... so please do not assume everyone coming here is techo-challenged soccer moms. I respect everyone's time and appreciate it, that is why i take my time to search/browse before posting anything. I do my homework in order not to waste anybody's time, so please respect my intentions.

Thanks!

Maria

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Its not a question of how long ago somebody first implemented that feature - its a question of what they think is the best mix of features for typical users, and what is the best use of their resources. You aren't a typical user so some things you value and are used to won't get implemented or may even get dropped.

I've had the same issue with searching the "body" of IMAP messages in remote folders. At one time you could use that criteria in a search window to search the entire message (including all headers and attachments) regardless of whether it was a local or remote folder. Then it stopped working with remote folders for several releases, and now it works but they've redefined "body" to only search the message body (none of the headers or attachments).

Out of curiosity what are the "technical reasons relating to my ISP" that forced you to switch?

hello_folks

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 7:56 pm

tanstaafl wrote:Its not a question of how long ago somebody first implemented that feature - its a question of what they think is the best mix of features for typical users, and what is the best use of their resources. You aren't a typical user so some things you value and are used to won't get implemented or may even get dropped.

Please... this is not an extraordinary feature... this is one of hte most basic tenets of searching. I do not want to copy paste 5 times to find something. I have been doing it the way it was supposed to be done over the last decade: one click, Search EVERYWHERE.

I also do not want to have "-- " added to my signature. This is my choice and any sane program must be able to give me the option. I do not message to newsgroups... i do not use usenet... and i dont know anyone who does and i do not correspond with one either. For whatever the reasons developers are concerned, we are not in Nazi Germany, the end user must be allowed to choose. I am not the only one, i see tons of people requesting it. Make it default, and give the user opportunity to choose. Are they too concerned i might break internet mailing systems? I hexed tb dll's now. God knows what is broken. What if my hexed dlls explode usenet? or cripple email infrastructure of the world? How will they will live with this in the conscience? Jesus!

I am not even going to dignify this buggy piece of software by comparing to my beloved Eudora. Since 4-5 years, every time i try, it is the same story. It crashes on the most basic operations. Every time i hoped it would get better, but it is still the same buggy piece of manure. I do nothing. Close the program. Ups, crash boom bang!

Can someone show me how to remove the LABEL column... and not to have it reappear again after restart? I found it! Needed to use mheny plugin... but that plugin came with its own load of bugs! Headers cannot be arranged any more coz of that! And it marks my incoming mail randomly with the first label!

I have never used such a buggy piece of software in my entire existence.

Unfortunately, the UI in Eudora 7 looks outdated now. Even though it is functional and kicking, time has come for a change since Eudora is discontinued. I already use OE and i need to use a seperate program so i am trying to make tb work. I never had a single crash or problem on OE by the way. It works nice and clean.

This program makes me nauseated every time i use it. I am sorry, this is worlds apart for someone who is used to the functionality of Eudora.

You will have hard time convincing any Eudora user to use TB. Because if they wanted to abandon MDI-style, they would have gone with OE long time ago... and would not be looking for a new mail client.

You can ask why i am here... That is because Eudora developers decided to put few icons and boxes on top of this manure and call it Eudora 8... open source.. and all that.

And also please do understand that my criticism is not directed personally at you... It is rather an expression of my frustration from not being able to find a SINGLE mail client to replace Eudora!!! Eudora has been running 2 decades and I tried no less than 50 mail clients!

hello_folks

Post Posted November 11th, 2008, 8:00 pm

tanstaafl, I am not the OP.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 12th, 2008, 12:29 am

hello_folks:

We're not run by or formally associated with Mozilla despite the similarity in names and the fact thier support page links to us. We're a independent user community. If you want to complain about Thunderbird I suggest you use either https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ or http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ . If you want help with Thunderbird please create your own thread, and focus on one problem at a time.

If you haven't already looked at PocoMail you might investigate it. I don't know much about its search capabilities other than its supposed to be fast but it has the best filtering support I've found so far and has its own scripting language.

notadeveloper

Post Posted February 18th, 2009, 9:45 am

Nightmare..
I used outlook express for years but with a new HP laptop and without the option to have windows xp.. I had to use windows vista 64.. (from bad to worse) Then Outlook Express died.

It seems that the developers don't understand how we were using outlook express and why we liked it.
Until now there is not any program that can substitute it. Thunderbird is ok but it lacks the identities.
With outlook you never had the address book of one identity mixed with the address book of another identity. You could close complete one identity and open then the other. I had more than 5 identities.
Now I'm using an email client for each identity. It is my silly solution because I don't have other option.
I thought that installing eudora 8 I could work with an extra (identity) but for my surprise I open eudora OR thunderbird AND they both work with the same commands, emails, storage folders, .. etc. It is like having a duplicate program but I can not use it. If I add an account in eudora, it automatically add the account in thunderbird. If I delete an account in Thunderbird, the account is deleted in EUDORA. Well I wanted to use BOTH with different accounts/emails.

A suggestion for developers... it would be great if we could manage/import/export the message filters (rules in outlook) in a file like access or excel. The possibility to organize the message filters (sort them) would be great too.
That's all for now.. I have to uninstall eudora 8 and continue serching an email client that can really substitute outlook express.

Daifne

Post Posted February 18th, 2009, 10:05 am

As to the identities, use separate profiles. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
JE SUIS CHARLIE
“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.” ― Harlan Ellison
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Post Posted November 12th, 2009, 8:34 am

I have to agree with Guest Maria.

I tried Eudora 8 as a replacement for Eudora 7. It was like trying to replace a 250 hp ski boat with a rowboat, with no oars.

I punched Fortran programs into cards in the 60's, and using a TB rip-off is like going back to that! The search program is one of the most important software modules in my consulting business.

Enginer / Enggr / whoever

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 14th, 2009, 7:35 am

Thanks for your input but you have posted to a thread that died out nine months ago. It's unlikely that any of the original participants is still monitoring this to see your message.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.
Vista Home Premium 64 - FX 37.0.1 & TB 31.6.0 Win 8.1 - FX 37.0.1 and TB 31.6.0

Return to Thunderbird Support