MozillaZine

Force Automatic Compacting of Folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rgeary

Post Posted September 27th, 2006, 8:43 am

Hello,

I use Thunderbird on an IMAP account.

I find myself constantly compacting all my folders just to "process" all of the deleted items in each of them. I don't want the old ones lying around on the server.

Is there a setting to atuomatically do this? I know there is an option to expunge the inbox on exit, but is there an option that takes care of all folders, not just the inbox? Or to imediately process the delete on the server side when I delete it in the client ?

Or can you suggest a better way of using Thunderbird. I guess I want Thunderbird to act like I'm not using IMAP :) I want everything I do to immediately be replicated on the server.

Thanks!

Rich Geary
rgeary {at} runbox {dot} com

Old Egidio

Post Posted September 27th, 2006, 9:08 am

The extension Xpunge (http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~tegos/mozilla/tb/index.html) allows for an automated schedule of emptying trash and compacting folders.

Daifne

Post Posted September 27th, 2006, 9:30 am

How about in Tools>Account Settings>*each account*>Server Settings checking the box to cleanup on exit?
“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.” ― Harlan Ellison
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

rgeary

Post Posted September 27th, 2006, 10:12 am

Daifne wrote:How about in Tools>Account Settings>*each account*>Server Settings checking the box to cleanup on exit?

Thanks, but that only cleans up the inbox, not all folders.

Return to Thunderbird Support