MozillaZine

(Solved)-About TBird mail folders

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
La Tronche

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 10:39 am

Hello

Actually all emails are stored somewhere in the main System HD C:\
Is it possible to have Thunderbird to default email savings in another partition?
Thanks.
Last edited by La Tronche on October 18th, 2021, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never be mean with a nerd...He could eventually be your next employer!

LIMPET235

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 10:42 am

Off to Thunderbird Support with you...
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-79.0-93.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

La Tronche

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 10:58 am

Hello LIMPET235

Thanks for fast reply!
Don't quite understand what you mean...
Do you mean I have to reinstall TBird and chose custom install?

LIMPET235

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 11:03 am

Hi,
No. I just moved your post to the Support forum.
Check the forum menu.

All the "stuff" under the .....................................line is my Sig.
Nothing to do with the post.
Similar to yours....."Never be mean.....etc."
I just have a few more "entries/links."
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-79.0-93.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.

La Tronche

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 11:10 am

Ok I got it!
Thanks.

La Tronche

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 11:41 am

And so...about my post...
Is it a valid question, with a solution ?

LIMPET235

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 11:47 am

Sorry, but I am not up on Thunderbird options/prefs etc.
Wait for a "guru" to come on-line, although I suspect it's possible. :)
W.M.Y.C.

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 1:15 pm

Each account has a "local directory" setting which specifies where its files (mail and message filters) are stored. Its in the accounts server settings, next to a Browse button. Mail is normally stored within the profile, but you can change each accounts "local directory" to a different drive/folder. You need to create the destination and move the existing contents of the "local directory" (using something like Windows Explorer) there first. All changing the local directory setting within Thunderbird does is tell it where to look, it doesn't move the data.

You don't have to move all the data for all of the accounts if you move one accounts data. You need to be careful not to change the location to a directory that Thunderbird might view as a unsafe place to store data such as c:\program files. In general any location not on the boot drive would be "safe".

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/da ... t-settings

You can also move the profile to another directory/drive. Only the profiles.ini file (a small text file in a fixed location used to specify where your profiles are) has to be on the boot drive. Your profile has all of your data (address books, add-ons, configuration files, stored passwords, calendars etc.), not just your mail. How you move a profile depends upon what version of Thunderbird you are using.

Which do you want to move? The non-mail portion of a profile is typically less than 50MB and doesn't grow much unless you install a lot of add-ons.

La Tronche

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Hello tanstaafl and thanks for help.
OK. If I move my profile to another partion or disk, how do I "inform" TBird about this change?

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 2:13 pm

What version are you using? Please don't say latest as that's ambiguous.

La Tronche

Post Posted September 29th, 2021, 4:12 pm

tanstaafl wrote:What version are you using? Please don't say latest as that's ambiguous.

Before, few months ago, I had 38.5.0
Now it's 68.1.1

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 2nd, 2021, 11:09 pm

Version 68 makes it harder as that's when they added a Lock= statement in the profiles.ini file that ties a profile to a installation of Thunderbird. That's what they are talking about in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/de ... stallation

1. Go to help -> troubleshooting information and click on the about:profiles link . This is an equivalent of the profiles manager. It will list what profiles you have and have a Open Folder button next to the default one that you can click on to open windows explorer at the profiles location. Click on the one for your profile by "root directory". The location specified in "local directory" doesn't have your data, its mainly just a couple of caches.

2. Write down the profiles location.

3. Click on the create a new profile button and specify where you want it. All that it is doing is registering the location of the profile in profiles.ini . Its not actually creating one.

4. Exit Thunderbird.

5. Move the contents of the old profile to the new location. Be careful not to copy or move the directory itself. i.e. if you used to have a profile at C:\Users\windows_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xyz.dir and you see a xyz directory at the new location you made a mistake.

6. Start Thunderbird. It should use the moved profile. If it gives you some error message verify that the profile is still listed by about:profiles and click on the set as default profile button next to that profile.

profiles.ini will know about two profiles, one of which is empty. As long as the old profile directory exists you shouldn't have problems. Thunderbird doesn't look at the contents unless you explicitly tell it to use a profile. If you want to safely remove that old profile use the remove button by its listing in help -> troubleshooting information -> about:profiles . Thunderbird won't tolerate any errors in profiles.ini , even for profiles it doesn't use.

You could remove the old entry by editing profiles.ini instead but we've found (the hard way) that is very error prone.

La Tronche

Post Posted October 3rd, 2021, 9:05 am

Hello tanstaafl and thanks for your reply

I won’t be able to apply your suggestion now but in the next days.
I’ll come back to tell you how it went.
I’m sure it will give positive results.
Thanks very much for competence and have a good day1

La Tronche

Post Posted October 14th, 2021, 9:45 am

tanstaafl wrote:Version 68 makes it harder as that's when they added a Lock= statement in the profiles.ini file that ties a profile to a installation of Thunderbird. That's what they are talking about in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/de ... stallation

1. Go to help -> troubleshooting information and click on the about:profiles link . This is an equivalent of the profiles manager. It will list what profiles you have and have a Open Folder button next to the default one that you can click on to open windows explorer at the profiles location. Click on the one for your profile by "root directory". The location specified in "local directory" doesn't have your data, its mainly just a couple of caches.

2. Write down the profiles location.

3. Click on the create a new profile button and specify where you want it. All that it is doing is registering the location of the profile in profiles.ini . Its not actually creating one.

4. Exit Thunderbird.

5. Move the contents of the old profile to the new location. Be careful not to copy or move the directory itself. i.e. if you used to have a profile at C:\Users\windows_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xyz.dir and you see a xyz directory at the new location you made a mistake.

6. Start Thunderbird. It should use the moved profile. If it gives you some error message verify that the profile is still listed by about:profiles and click on the set as default profile button next to that profile.

profiles.ini will know about two profiles, one of which is empty. As long as the old profile directory exists you shouldn't have problems. Thunderbird doesn't look at the contents unless you explicitly tell it to use a profile. If you want to safely remove that old profile use the remove button by its listing in help -> troubleshooting information -> about:profiles . Thunderbird won't tolerate any errors in profiles.ini , even for profiles it doesn't use.

You could remove the old entry by editing profiles.ini instead but we've found (the hard way) that is very error prone.

Hello Tanstaafl

Sorry for not replying earlier 'cause I was away on a trip.
I finally just had time to apply your suggestion.
And it worked beautifully....just perfect!
So simple.
Now I have what I wanted for years but was affraid to ask!
Thanks very much for your competence and kindness!
Have a good day.

La Tronche

Return to Thunderbird Support