MozillaZine

How to move cache folder from SSD disk

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
HEGOM

Post Posted January 13th, 2021, 10:42 am

hi,

i was checking for growing C volume size in my windows 10 desktop.
I found a LOT of little cache files in cache directory, under thunderbird folder.

Since i use a SSD disk as C: , i would like to avoid all these write/rewrite on it, but i was unable to migrate this cache folder from C to another service HD.

I was successfull in migrating MAIL directory, but not this.

Please somebody can suggest me the way?
thank you in advance.

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 13th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Why not set the cache size to zero in tools -> options -> general -> disk space? There is also a adjacent clear now button. I use a SSD and have never noticed a performance problem due to having a zero size cache since I don't re-read messages that frequently.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1215897 describes how to move the cache directory for Firefox by editing browser.cache.disk.parent_directory using the config editor. You might be able to do the same for Thunderbird. If that settings isn't visible (because it never changed from the default value) you'll need to add it as a new setting.

HEGOM

Post Posted January 13th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Many thanks ! i didnt think to reduce to 0, anyway i followed your link and moved it on another disk.

mgagnonlv

Post Posted January 13th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Thunderbird (or Firefox) might actually be slower if you move the cache to another mechanical disk rather than turn it off to zero.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

HEGOM

Post Posted January 14th, 2021, 2:23 am

you are right. better to zero cache than to be slow or write on ssd continuosly. iam going to zeroes options.

Return to Thunderbird Support