MozillaZine

Problem with Hotmail account password...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
softfoot

Post Posted January 14th, 2021, 11:02 am

Aaah ! I just configured a new TB profile to access the failing account using IMAP and it worked!
It seems that it is a POP3 issue somewhere.

What made me think that TB didnt support IMAP was that looking at the server settings it doesnt give the option of switching from POP3 to IMAP.

Is there a way to convert an existing POP3 profile to IMAP so I dont loose my filters etc ???

UPDATE - I think that I really need POP3 because I travel a lot and rely on many filters to sort the wheat from the chaf to peruse at a later time offline.

Dave

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 14th, 2021, 4:33 pm

There is no built-in support for converting an account from POP to IMAP.

I recommend you keep the IMAP account, copy the "msgFilterRules.dat" file from the POP accounts "local directory" (its specified in the bottom of the accounts server settings next to a Browse button) to the IMAP accounts "local directory" and move any messages you want to keep (from the POP account) either to the IMAP account or a child folder in the "Local Folders" account.

The "msgFilterRules.dat" file does specify the account when you have an action to move a message to a folder. The following is an example of a msgFilterRules.dat file for Local Folders that moves a message to a "test" folder within that account:

version="9"
logging="yes"
name="encoding test"
enabled="yes"
type="17"
action="Move to folder"
actionValue="mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox/test"
condition="OR (subject,contains,preview)"

%20 is "percent encoding" of a space. I suggest you just copy the file from one account to another and then either use the edit button in tools -> message filters or edit it via Notepad.

softfoot

Post Posted January 15th, 2021, 5:44 pm

IMAP seems to have fixed my problem, but it is not ideal.
Has anyone seen evidence that the POP3 access problem is fixed (I really dont want to keep using IMAP if it is avoidable).
Best regards,
Dave

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm

I have no problem accessing Hotmail as a POP type account using both Thunderbird 68.12.1 and 78.n.

Server Name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993
User Name: full email address
Connection: SSL/TLS
Authentication: Normal Password

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 15th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Are people using the Microsoft Exchange Server (outlook.office365.com) or the hotmail specific servers (pop3.live.com (ancient) or pop-mail.outlook.com) with a hotmail POP account?

softfoot

Post Posted January 15th, 2021, 7:34 pm

I tried both Pop3.live.com and outlook.office365.com --- neither worked on the failing account.
Did not know about pop-mail....
The webmail settings advise using outlook.office365.com for both IMAP and POP3, just different ports.
Dave

KilliK

Post Posted January 16th, 2021, 1:35 pm

MS must have fixed the problem, it is working now.

softfoot

Post Posted January 16th, 2021, 5:01 pm

Cool - thanks,
Dave

Return to Thunderbird Support