MozillaZine

Access emails which are unable to view due 2 login prompt

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bugzilla123

Post Posted January 10th, 2021, 8:24 am

Hi all, I'd be really grateful if someone is able to help me. I recently transferred all my TB emails from an old computer to a new one.

I have an account from when I was a student last year. All the emails and the headers seem to be there but I can't access them or view them because of the login prompt on TB. The problem is after you have stopped being a student the account on their server is taken away so you can't log in. There are some extremely important emails which I have on that account and which I now really need for an important personal matter. Is there any way of accessing these emails? Because all the files of the emails seem to be on my computer it's just that I'm met with the login prompt whenever I try to look at anything within that account.

Would it be possible to maybe turn off the login prompt somehow and see the emails? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

morat

Post Posted January 10th, 2021, 8:52 am

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?

Try this:

* File > Offline > [check] Work Offline
* click Later button in Download Messages dialog
* select a folder in folder pane
* select a message in thread pane

bugzilla123

Post Posted January 10th, 2021, 9:36 am

It is IMAP. Thank you, I'll try that now.

Edit: Just tried that and it doesn't seem to work unfortunately. The message pane is just plane white.

morat

Post Posted January 10th, 2021, 11:24 am

Maybe you can import the messages into local folders.

http://support.mozilla.org/questions/1303313

Someone else may have a better suggestion so you may want to wait a bit.

bugzilla123

Post Posted January 10th, 2021, 11:51 am

OK thank you. I'll wait a little and see if anyone else chips in. I really hope I can get access to the emails.

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 10th, 2021, 1:48 pm

If you don't want to copy the mbox files (files named after the mail folder, with no file extension, that contain the mail for that folder) into a child folder in "Local Folders" you could use the ImportExportTools NG add-on to import them.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders has a link to a obsolete version of that add-on but the basic steps haven't changed.

"Edit: Just tried that and it doesn't seem to work unfortunately. The message pane is just plane white." doesn't sound good. If you had offline folders it should have displayed their contents. Are you sure you still have the mbox files? I'm wondering if the failed attempt to login might have erased them as a side effect of trying to synch the remote and local versions of the folders. It shouldn't have tried to synch them unless it managed to log in but .......

You could open one using Notepad and see the raw contents of the messages to verify the file still has the messages. You'll see dozens of headers you don't normally see and if its a HTML message you'll see the raw HTML tags rather than the interpreted HTML but you should be able to recognize whether they are messages or not.

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 10th, 2021, 1:52 pm

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_Utilities#MboxViewer has links to some standalone programs that can be used to view the contents of a mbox file and display the messages. You could use that to verify "inbox." or "sent." for example are valid mbox files. Don't use them against *.msf files, those are basically just caches of the folder listing. They don't have any messages and will be automatically re-created if you import a mbox file.

bugzilla123

Post Posted January 11th, 2021, 2:48 pm

Thank you so much! That Mbox Viewer tool is/was extremely useful to inspect the many mbox files I was able to find. I am very glad I am now aware of this tool for the future.

I was sure that the emails would have been downloaded somewhere into an mbox file. I managed to find the relevant mbox files on a hard drive. I had loads of mbox files and wasn't sure what was what so the MBox Viewer tool was very helpful to inspect.

I think you may be right that the mbox file must have been lost when trying to sync with the server.

I have now transferred the mbox files into local folders using ImportExport tools which seems to have worked fine, I can view the emails and everything seems to be there but it's difficult to tell. One thing which is a little concerning though is that after importing there were a number of strange looking emails with random words in the correspondent field and nothing in the subject field. On opening some of these emails, some of the were blank and some of them had email contents in them but in weird formats etc. Do you have any idea what this might be? It makes me a little concerned that ImportExport has imported properly and has missed some emails or something

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 11th, 2021, 4:19 pm

My first thought is that the mbox file had some corruption which you did not notice before.

Thunderbird finds messages in a mbox file by scanning it from top to bottom, recognizing certain strings as separators between messages. If the contents get corrupted Thunderbird can get very confused trying to determine where messages start and end, and might show corrupted message bodies, resurrect deleted messages, or lose the Date: header causing it to display the oldest possible value (1969) as the date/time stamp.

You could try looking at the original version of that mbox file using the MboxViewer to see if it has the same symptoms. You could also try using the fc utility to compare the old and new mbox files.

https://www.howtogeek.com/206123/how-to ... nd-prompt/

bugzilla123

Post Posted January 12th, 2021, 8:07 am

Thanks a lot for your help and the information again. I may use the FC utility to check for differences then. It seems like most of the most important messages are available though but I may just do it anyway for peace of mind. Thanks again.

Return to Thunderbird Support