MozillaZine

Need help with message filters with two IMAP accounts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Nisko555

Post Posted November 24th, 2020, 12:07 pm

I have the latest version of TB (78.5.0) & using Windows 10.
I have two accounts - both IMAP. This is a brand new TB setup.
Unified Folders.
I want to set up identical filters for both accounts (without repeatedly typing them).
My filters will all be to match an address and Tag it - then stop the execution.
I have my Tags set up the way I want.
I would like my filters to take effect as soon as I receive mail (or send it out).
If an email is sent by someone that matches one of my filters/accounts, I would like to tag it - but don't know how to do this.
With Unified Folders, I assume that means that all my incoming/outgoing mail will show up in my Inbox. True?
When I send an email, does a copy show up in my Inbox? If so, I don't want that. I would only want it to show in my Sent Folder.

I've tried to include enough questions that would help me understand what I want to do. If I'm missing anything, please let me know. Thanks in advance........

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 24th, 2020, 4:38 pm

I want to set up identical filters for both accounts (without repeatedly typing them).

You can create the filters in one account and then copy the file msgFilterRules.dat from the sub-directory of that account to the sub-directory of the second accounts.

My filters will all be to match an address and Tag it - then stop the execution.

I don't understand that. Is there a question there? What would the filter do after executing the actions you define in the filter definition? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29

If an email is sent by someone that matches one of my filters/accounts, I would like to tag it - but don't know how to do this.

Set the condition you are filter for (for instance, Subject+contains+"Topic" and then set the action to "Tag message"+select the tag to be associated with the message

With Unified Folders, I assume that means that all my incoming/outgoing mail will show up in my Inbox. True?

False. Unified Folders does not combine the contents of Inbox and Sent folders or any other folders. It's simply a display of the same type of folder from each account: Inbox of account 1, above the Inbox of Account 2, above the Inbox of Account 3, then all of the Drafts folders, then all of the Template folders, etc.

When I send an email, does a copy show up in my Inbox? If so, I don't want that. I would only want it to show in my Sent Folder.

No, a copy of outgoing messages will be found in the Sent folder of the account. Look under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders to see has been set as the target for storing Sent messages. There is an option in that dialogue to place replies to received messages in the folder of the message being replies to but that is a user choice option, not a default or requirement.

Nisko555

Post Posted November 24th, 2020, 4:50 pm

DanRaisch wrote:

You can create the filters in one account and then copy the file msgFilterRules.dat from the sub-directory of that account to the sub-directory of the second accounts.

Where do I find these sub-directories?

I don't understand that. Is there a question there? What would the filter do after executing the actions you define in the filter definition? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29

This is just for information. I like my Inbox to show certain messages in colors (such as Family, Friends, Medical, Banks, etc. Once the message is tagged (colored), I just skip any other parameters.

Set the condition you are filter for (for instance, Subject+contains+"Topic" and then set the action to "Tag message"+select the tag to be associated with the message

Do the filters get implemented on Incoming mail immediately (automatically)?

False. Unified Folders does not combine the contents of Inbox and Sent folders or any other folders. It's simply a display of the same type of folder from each account: Inbox of account 1, above the Inbox of Account 2, above the Inbox of Account 3, then all of the Drafts folders, then all of the Template folders, etc.

I'm not clear on that. What is a Unified Folder? I'd like all my incoming messages to be in one Inbox. Is that doable?

No, a copy of outgoing messages will be found in the Sent folder of the account. Look under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders to see has been set as the target for storing Sent messages.

Got it.

There is an option in that dialogue to place replies to received messages in the folder of the message being replied to but that is a user choice option, not a default or requirement.

Got it.

Thank you.

Return to Thunderbird Support