MozillaZine

Is the old version of TB for Windows 10 still available?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Nisko555

Post Posted November 23rd, 2020, 12:58 pm

This new version may be better - but I'm having a lot of trouble setting it up. I had to perform a clean install and lost all my settings and contacts. The old version never gave me trouble and I wish I had it back again - unless someone can convince me that it isn't a good idea.......

Thank you.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 23rd, 2020, 1:18 pm

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird for links to where you can get older setup programs. It needs updating but the basics are still correct.

If you're using version 78.* don't forget to export your address books as .csv or .ldif files since earlier versions will not support the sqlite database it moved to. Alternatively look for backups of the *.mab files that use a .bak file extension and rename them. You might also want to add a --allow-downgrade command lien argument to the shortcut as precaution.

viewtopic.php?p=14878388#p14878388

If you're just going back to an older version of 78.* uninstall the current version (without deleting the profile) and install the older version in the exact same location. This avoids the version check in the profiles.ini file.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 23rd, 2020, 1:22 pm

"I had to perform a clean install and lost all my settings and contacts."

Try clicking on about:profiles in help -> troubleshooting information. If your profile is listed press the appropriate set as default profile button.

If you have a backup of your profile you could use about:profiles to create a new profile (no need to configure the accounts etc.), press the open folder button to open windows explorer at the profile directory, exit Thunderbird, and copy the contents of the backed up profile into the new profile (overwriting all of its files).

Nisko555

Post Posted November 23rd, 2020, 5:31 pm

I'm going crazy with this new version - so much so that I considered going back to an older version. However, after thinking about it, I might as well get used to this new version. But I need help!!! I now have two accounts - both POP. But many of my emails have not downloaded - even though they're in the online version of Gmail. In order for you to help me, I suggest sending you screenshots of what I have now. If you agree, how do I add screenshots to my next post - and which screenshots would you want to see? BTW, I can't follow anything in your last post. I'm very sorry to say that because I know you've been trying hard. Thank you.......

BTW, I've decided to go back to IMAP and stay there. I hope this helps.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 23rd, 2020, 6:12 pm

You can have POP and IMAP accounts for the same email address at the same time as long as they use different mail servers. Gmail uses different mail servers for POP and IMAP. You can transparently upload mail from a POP account to a IMAP account by copying/moving it.

You can import mail from mbox files (what POP accounts use to store mail - for example "inbox." for the inbox folder and "sent items." for the sent items folder) using the ImportExportTools NG add-on. So while it would be easiest to reuse your old profile if you have problems doing that you could create/use a new one, add the desired IMAP accounts, import the mail from the other profiles POP accounts into Local Folders using the add-on, and then copy the imported messages into the appropriate IMAP account.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders documents how to use the older version of the ImportExportTools add-on (no NG in the name) but the basics haven't changed. Your contacts were moved from *.mab files into a abook.sqlite file in version 78 which you should be able to copy and reuse.

I suggest you experiment with some of the ideas above and then let me know exactly what you want help on.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

Return to Thunderbird Support