MozillaZine

URGENT!! Need to REINSTALL an Older Version of Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
a.k.a. Djeau

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Old Joe is in trouble!!! I (stupidly! accepted the offer to update T-bird to version 70-something. And I have found the verizon.net (through AOL.com) email LOCKS UP the entire screen of my desktop.
The entire screen hawks AOL and - I believe(?) - "Roku" without letting me exit.

I located a download of "68.10.01" (again I am guessing...) I get a message warning that I will lose my entire profile, and I assume, files that I have set up and important, saved messages.

REALLY DESPERATE for ANY assistance I can get!

THANK YOU!!! signed Old Joe
Joe/Joseph/Dad/Pop/Poppop/”Djeau”

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird for links to where you can download older versions of setup if you don't want to use 68.10.01

I recommend you uninstall version 78 (that won't delete your profile unless you explicitly check a checkbox to delete your data) and install version 68.10.01 in the exact same location. The reason to do that is there is a hash value in profiles.ini based on the location where Thunderbird is installed that is used to test whether you are using a different version. So if you install Thunderbird in the exact same location it shouldn't care whether you are using 68 or 78.

The other thing you can do is click on the about:profiles link in help -> troubleshooting information , select the desired profile, and then press the "select as default profile" button.

Don't forget to uncheck the checkbox to check for new versions in tools -> options and don't ever use help -> about Thunderbird (that forces a check for updates regardless of the settings).

I think the deadline was October 20 to switch to using OAuth2 authentication for yahoo/aol/verizon for both POP/IMAP accounts and in the associated SMTP server entry. Did you successfully make that change before your Verizon account starting locking things up?

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Version 78 moved the contacts/address books from *.mab files to a sqlite database. Ideally you would export your contacts as a .csv file before switching to version 68 so that you could import them in version 68.*. If you can't/didn't, while the migration to sqlite deleted the entries in the abook.mab file etc. they should have made backups of those files that you could copy and rename.

Some of your add-ons might also be incompatible with version 68.

a.k.a. Djeau

Post Posted October 30th, 2020, 2:05 pm

tanstaafl wrote:See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird for links to where you can download older versions of setup if you don't want to use 68.10.01

I recommend you uninstall version 78 (that won't delete your profile unless you explicitly check a checkbox to delete your data) and install version 68.10.01 in the exact same location. The reason to do that is there is a hash value in profiles.ini based on the location where Thunderbird is installed that is used to test whether you are using a different version. So if you install Thunderbird in the exact same location it shouldn't care whether you are using 68 or 78.

The other thing you can do is click on the about:profiles link in help -> troubleshooting information , select the desired profile, and then press the "select as default profile" button.

Don't forget to uncheck the checkbox to check for new versions in tools -> options and don't ever use help -> about Thunderbird (that forces a check for updates regardless of the settings).

I think the deadline was October 20 to switch to using OAuth2 authentication for yahoo/aol/verizon for both POP/IMAP accounts and in the associated SMTP server entry. Did you successfully make that change before your Verizon account starting locking things up?

tanstaafl: I sincerely hope this will work. But at the age of 82, it takes me longer to understand the process.

For instance, when I tried loading Thunderbird from my Windows 10 taskbar, I got an immediate message to which I do not know the response. I have taken (2)Screenclips that I could have sent you, but I cannot find the "how".. So here is what the Screenclip says:

"YOU HAVE LAUNCHED AN OLDER VERSION OF THUNDERBIRD.

A NEWER VERSION MAY HAVE MADE CHANGES TO YOUR PROFILE WHICH ARE NO LONGER COMPATIBLE WITH THIS OLDER VERSION. USE THIS PROFILE ONLY WITH THE NEWER VERSION, OR CREATE A NEW PROFILE FOR THIS INSTALLATION OF THUNDERBIRD. CREATING A NEW PROFILE REQUIRES SETTING UP YOUR ACCOUNTS, CALENDARS AND ADD-ONS AGAIN."

Follow this message are two(2) buttons, labelled... [EXIT] and [CREATE NEW PROFILE]

Also: My list of Programs and Features shows "Mozilla Thunderbird 68.10.0 (x64 en-US)"

I fear that I have blown away my version original 68.10.0 profile - when I tried to install version 78 on top of it. Losing my saved files/folders will be catastrophic, so you are my last hope.

I look forward to your reply - good and bad. And THANK YOU for patience and thoroughness.
~ old Joe

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 30th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to the properties of your Thunderbird shortcut. Right click on the shortcut, right click on "mozilla thunderbird", select properties using the left mouse button and in the Target: field (in the "Shortcut" tab) add a space followed by --allow-downgrade . For example:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade

If that doesn't work you could press the button to create a new profile, use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to open the windows 10 version of windows explorer (aka file explorer) at the current profile, exit Thunderbird and then copy the prefs.js file and *.mab files (address books - you'll need to rename the backups) from the old profile over the corresponding files in the new profile. Then start Thunderbird again.

If you had POP accounts install the ImportExportTools NG add-on and use it to import the old mail files. Each is named after the mail folder and has no file extension. i.e "inbox." is the mbox file that contains the messages for the inbox folder. Ignore "inbox.msf" - its just a cache of the folder listing. "inbox.sbd" is just a renamed directory used to help organize the files into a mail folder hierarchy. It may contain multiple child directories each with their own mbox file.

If you are using IMAP accounts you don't need to do anything since the mail is still stored on the IMAP server.

If you run into problems don't give up, just tell me how far you got before you ran into problems and what the problem was. What you're trying to do is very doable, its just a pain.

a.k.a. Djeau

Post Posted October 31st, 2020, 3:52 pm

tanstaafl wrote: If you run into problems don't give up, just tell me how far you got before you ran into problems and what the problem was. What you're trying to do is very doable, its just a pain.

My friend, you said a "mouthful!" And when you get to my age, the brain does not work like it used to!

For the immediate time, I will try a old trick that worked for me - many years ago.

When you get really stumped by any problem. Take a break. Have a cup of coffee. Calm the old, brain cells. The start over... Thanks again! ~Joe

ep2012

Location: Trying to get out of where I am. I won't say. I'm a prisoner in here now

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 11:41 am

Phew, that worked for me.

VERY VERY stressful.

I don't know, did they even tell us this was a major update on the upgrade popup??? I don't remember seeing that.

They should also state to check your add-on developers to see if they have upgraded.

Not happy, that scared me to no end.

And why did they change the default theme???

Everything is ALL blue :( I can't figure out where anything is. sigh

Thanks for all your help.

ep2012

Location: Trying to get out of where I am. I won't say. I'm a prisoner in here now

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 11:43 am

a.k.a. Djeau wrote:
tanstaafl wrote: If you run into problems don't give up, just tell me how far you got before you ran into problems and what the problem was. What you're trying to do is very doable, its just a pain.

My friend, you said a "mouthful!" And when you get to my age, the brain does not work like it used to!

For the immediate time, I will try a old trick that worked for me - many years ago.

When you get really stumped by any problem. Take a break. Have a cup of coffee. Calm the old, brain cells. The start over... Thanks again! ~Joe

Did you get it fixed/working?

I hope so.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 5:08 pm

ep2012 wrote:I don't know, did they even tell us this was a major update on the upgrade popup??? I don't remember seeing that.

They never provide that information.

a.k.a. Djeau

Post Posted November 6th, 2020, 7:12 am

ep2012 wrote:
a.k.a. Djeau wrote:
tanstaafl wrote: Did you get it fixed/working?
I hope so.

Long story... but YES I did! Here's the "short-as-I-can make-it" one:

At first, adding the " --allow-downgrade " to the t-bird.exe line, and voila! I got back my version 68.x.x. Only I made the mistake of NOT unchecking the auto-updating box. So the next time I load the program, the update to version 78 started. I was devastated... figuring I would have to stay with that newer version- like it of not!

I hated the my Compactheader addon was incompatible - but TODAY found and newer version that worked with 78.

So I am satisfied with what is working for me now. THANK YOU SINCERELY FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

:D :lol: =D>

ep2012

Post Posted November 22nd, 2020, 6:10 am

a.k.a. Djeau wrote:
Long story... but YES I did! Here's the "short-as-I-can make-it" one:

At first, adding the " --allow-downgrade " to the t-bird.exe line, and voila! I got back my version 68.x.x. Only I made the mistake of NOT unchecking the auto-updating box. So the next time I load the program, the update to version 78 started. I was devastated... figuring I would have to stay with that newer version- like it of not!

I hated the my Compactheader addon was incompatible - but TODAY found and newer version that worked with 78.

So I am satisfied with what is working for me now. THANK YOU SINCERELY FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

:D :lol: =D>

Glad you got it working.

Even with me unchecking it I'm still told there's a new update every few days & I have to click "not now" over & over again.

Frustrating.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 22nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

Don't click on help -> about Thunderbird. That triggers a check for updates regardless of what your update settings are. See viewtopic.php?p=14873056#p14873056 for how to create a policy via registry edits to block automated updates.

Things can get confusing due to policies on the servers that roll out updates based on what version you are running and/or what geographic area you are in.

Return to Thunderbird Support