MozillaZine

TB 78: Change contact address format in compose window

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hornakapopolis

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 11:42 am

I've tried searching, but I'm thinking I have some terminology wrong.

In TB 78, when I reply to an email, the recipient's email address used to be text. Now it's a 'block.' My company gets emails from individuals that all must be returned to a single client email. I used to highlight the email address and start typing the new one. Now, we must click on the address field and hit backspace twice (but apparently, not too fast, for some reason, as it won't register and you have to hit backspace again.)

Is there a way to make the address text again?

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm

The way you enter email addresses in edit fields when composing or replying to a message changed in version 78. You can't configure it to use the old method again that had one email address per To: line.

But you should still be able to use reply or reply to all. I don't fully understand the problem. Are you using backspaces because you are trying to delete some of the recipients when you reply? Please give me a simple example to explain what your problem is.

WaltS48

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 3:25 pm

You can select an address, right-click and select "Edit Address" or "Delete".

You can select an address and press the Delete key on the keyboard, or use a middle mouse click to delete an address.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

hornakapopolis

Post Posted October 30th, 2020, 3:23 am

I think the middle-click is going to work best. Thanks WaltS48!

tanstaafl, we get orders via email from joe@company.com; mary@company.com; frank@company.com... all three of those people place orders individually, so the order only comes from them. When we complete the work, it doesn't go back to them, though. Everything goes back to completedorders@company.com. So, when we reply to joe's (or anyone's) order, we have to change the recipient address.

Out of curiosity, what's the advantage to no longer having the address simply be text as opposed to this uneditable block?

WaltS48

Post Posted October 30th, 2020, 6:27 am

They are editable as I pointed out in my other reply.

You can select an address, right-click and select "Edit Address" or "Delete".

Apologies for leaving out "from the context menu". :oops:
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

hornakapopolis

Post Posted October 30th, 2020, 10:19 am

You're right, 'un-editable' isn't the best term. ...whatever the term is for 'something you can edit, but for some reason, you must take an extra step to do so.' That 'some reason' just piqued my curiosity.

Return to Thunderbird Support