MozillaZine

TB adds a lot more MBs to a video file

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012

Location: Trying to get out of where I am. I won't say. I'm a prisoner in here now

Post Posted October 28th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Hi all,

So I just tried to send a video file to someone because SK was being as pain (as usual) & it changed it from 44.4 MB to 60.9 MB & of course wouldn't let me e-mail it.

Then after the person finally got it DLed from MEGA he confirmed it is 44.4 MB.

Why is TB doing that?

Thanks

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 28th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Its because it has to base64 encode the attachment in order to treat it as 7-bit ASCII characters. That adds about 1/3 to the size.

This problem occurs because mail was originally limited to 7-bit ASCII. The solution was to add MIME support to let it deal with exceptions (such as 8-bit data and other character sets) rather than to change the default way everything is stored. This isn't Thunderbird specific, its just following the Internet rfc's for mail.

Another encoding scheme is quote-printable, which Microsoft email clients default to. Its more efficient if most of the data is 7-bit ASCII. Base-64 is more efficient if there is lots of 8-bit data (like a video). Most email clients support both encoding schemes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

ep2012

Location: Trying to get out of where I am. I won't say. I'm a prisoner in here now

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 5:07 pm

Thank you

Return to Thunderbird Support