MozillaZine

Refresh and new mail download slow

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DocRocks

Post Posted October 26th, 2020, 10:09 am

Running TB 78.4.0 and have several major problems that have appeared in the last week.
- mail downloads are 10x slower than in the past week
- TB mail window freezes on monitor for 10-20 seconds - can't move or close TB window -- other programs on screen are not affected
- Typing text in an email frequently lags for 3-10 seconds
I haven't been able to correlate these issues with any other background or foreground processes. I found an article online on settings to change in Options>General tab but that didn't solve the issue. Could I revert to an earlier version (where/how) and see if that helps without losing my email?

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 26th, 2020, 10:54 am

If the issue showed up after some use of the program it’s not likely a problem with the program itself.
What security software are you using on that system?
Do you run Ccleaner or a similar clean up utility?
Is that aPOP or IMAP type account?

DocRocks

Post Posted October 27th, 2020, 9:54 am

Running MalwareBytes Premium; Windows Security is also on - do I need both? How do I turn off WS ? I don't use Ccleaner or similar - what would be the benefit? The email account is linked by TB to an imap account running on the host as Offfice365. I had this lag issue a few years ago and it "magically" went away after a week without any changes on my end.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 27th, 2020, 11:55 am

I'm running Windows 10 with MalwareBytes Premium and Windows Defender and neither seems to have an effect on Thunderbird 78.4. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 01afe13b26 if you want to tell Windows Defender to exclude (ignore) your profile directory.

You get best performance with a IMAP account with both offline folders (synchronization & storage) and global search disabled because that eliminates two background processes that load mail in the background and Thunderbird will only fetch as message as needed when you open it.

Use the config editor to check whether mail.imap.mime_parts_on_demand is still true. That feature optimizes what Thunderbird fetches so that if you have a large attachment it doesn't fetch it when you open the message unless you explicitly open the attachment. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Entire_messag ... AP_message

As an experiment I suggest you sign up for a free Gmail IMAP account and see if it has the same performance problem. A bit of a hassle doing that but it helps to determine if you are running into a account specific or profile specific problem.

If you had a similar problem that disappeared on its own after a week before perhaps it was due to a temporary glitch with your ISP.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 27th, 2020, 12:03 pm

I just re-read your post and noticed the delay while typing. That implies it might not be a network related problem unless the delay is due to saving the draft in a remote folder. Configure the account (Copies & Folders) to use a Drafts folder in Local Folders instead to see if that is a factor. I suggest you also try running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) for a while to rule out it being a side effect of an add-on that doesn't work well with 78.4.

See if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird helps. I'd focus on the unusual problems section.

"A few users have run into a problem where every operation takes about a minute. This is due to a bug creating places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal directories in the profile. There should be files with those names, not directories. The workaround is to exit Thunderbird and delete those two directories. "

Did you upgrade to 78.4 from 78.*? I'm asking to rule out any chance of your performance problem being due to Direct2D hardware acceleration being re-enabled on a system with poor graphics support. 78.* enables it by default.

DocRocks

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the detail in your responses. I'm going step by step and simply turned off virus and threat detectionvin Windows Security. Lag is gone for the moment. I'll let you know if that was the simple answer and if it is I'll tackle the Exclusion you recommended. I didn't do that first because I don't understand which file to exclude - the TB executable or ??

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 3:51 pm

You'd want to exclude the profile directory (where your data is), not the installation directory. help -> troubleshooting information has a open folder button next to "profile folder" that will open windows explorer at your current profile.

Return to Thunderbird Support