MozillaZine

inbox emails went to trash

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
shortytaco

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 11:19 am

For some reason about 9 months of emails in my inbox went to trash folder! Why would this happen? And how do I keep it from happening again?

thanks

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Sometimes new mail goes to the trash folder when the inbox folder is corrupt. Do you have message fragments or messages that have a 1969 date in the inbox?

However, I wouldn't expect that to move old, already read mail.

Is this a POP or IMAP account?
What version of Thunderbird (please don't say latest as that's ambiguous) are you using?
Anything happen just before this problem occurred like a automated update, some accident with the mouse ....?

shortytaco

Post Posted October 13th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Hi tanstaafl,

Thanks for your reply.

It's an IMAP account, TB v 68.12.1 (32-bit version). I can't recall any event that happened before this like an update.

I haven't seen new mail go to the trash folder, but I have an inbox with mail dating back to February of this year. I haven't seen any message fragments, but emails that I've archived from 2016, 2018, and 2019 did show up in the inbox.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 24th, 2020, 12:56 pm

"emails that I've archived from 2016, 2018, and 2019 did show up in the inbox."

Archiving means a copy of the message was copied to a archive folder and the original marked deleted (that's just setting a flag) and hidden from view. Deleted messages being resurrected is a sign of a corrupt folder. However, you have a IMAP account and no sign of any message fragments or messages that have a 1969 date (meaning the Date: header was lost). So it seems unlikely your problems are due to a corrupt folder.

I don't know what caused your problem. Its unusual. I suspect it would have to occur several times in order to get enough data to figure out whats causing it. In the interim I suggest you try to keep the number of messages in your inbox to under a thousand (move the rest that you want to keep to other folders/child folders) and set mail.imap.expunge_option to 2 using the config editor. That means that whenever you have a total of 20 deleted messages it will automatically physically remove the deleted messages. Not the same thing as compacting a folder or checking "clean up (expunge) inbox on exit" in the server settings, but related. Hopefully that will reduce the risk of future problems.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts

shortytaco

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 5:06 am

To be honest, I'm having 2 major issues with TB. One is that I am missing months of emails from this year. The other is when I try to archive, the emails seem to vanish.
Does anyone offer online help to sort this out? I'm not a programmer and need help.

thanks,

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 5:28 am

1. One is that I am missing months of emails from this year.

You said they went into the trash folder. I assumed you had moved them back to the inbox and your only concern was why it occurred and how to prevent it from happening again. Did you try moving them back or did you empty the trash folder instead? i.e. why are they gone?

2. The other is when I try to archive, the emails seem to vanish.

Do they vanish or do they never get copied to the destination? There is a difference. You might want to temporarily set "when I delete a message" in the server settings to "just mark it as deleted" so that you can recover the original message if archiving seems to make the message disappear. The deleted message will still be visible, it just has a line drawn through it in the folder listing. It can be undeleted by deleting it again.

The archive command is just a convenience. You can do everything it does manually. Do you have the same problem if you archive the messages manually (create the destination folder, copy the messages to the archive, and then delete the originals)?

You could also experiment (on some messages you don't care about) with archiving them to folders in "Local Folders" instead and see if that works as expected. You don't have to configure copies & folders to archive messages in the accounts folders.

Return to Thunderbird Support