MozillaZine

Anyone else got this from Yahoo?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ginahoy

Post Posted October 17th, 2020, 10:59 pm

CJ2020 wrote:There is no 0oath2 so that avenue is out, and I'm afraid to just delete one of my yahoo accounts for fear that I will loose my saved emails.

Even the latest Thunderbird doesn't have OAuth2, which is why AOL & Yahoo accounts must be deleted and reinstalled. The authentication options are populated when you set up your account, so any account that was set up before they added OAuth2 won't show that option.

You will NOT lose your emails. However, you'll lose customized settings, if any (see my previous reply). POP vs IMAP is not an issue. You choose which you prefer during the auto-install process.

One word of caution: Since your version of T'bird is so old, it's possible (but unlikely) that it won't complete the autoinstall process with Yahoo's mail server. So you'll want to do a backup before you delete your account, just to be safe. Of course, it's always advisable to do a backup before making any changes to software you rely on! If it turns out that your version of TB isn't compatible with the autoinstall process, you'll have no choice but to follow Option 3, or give up using TB.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 1:50 am

ginahoy:

OAuth2 support for Yahoo and AOL IMAP accounts was added in version 60. I've read in several places including https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1278588 that Thunderbird version 68.5 or later supports using OAuth2 with Yahoo POP.

Since CJ2020 can't run version 60.0 that rules out option 2.

CJ2020:

Have you considered upgrading to the current version of OSX and running your legacy software using a VM that runs Snow Leopard? See https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... s-3679956/ and https://ihow.info/how-to-install-old-mac-os-x-versions/ for example.

That's way too much work just to stick with your current email client but it might be worthwhile if that lets you run recent versions of a lot of software. If you're interested I suggest you ask for advice on some apple support forums.

If you don't want to use a VM you could install the older version of OSX on a external drive and hold Option/Alt down when you start up your Mac so that you can choose which drive to boot from. That might work okay if you only occasionally need to use the legacy software.

ginahoy

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 10:20 am

tanstaafl wrote:I've read in several places including https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1278588 that Thunderbird version 68.5 or later supports using OAuth2 with Yahoo POP.

Thanks, good to know. I'm holding with v60 until I can find suitable replacements for several legacy (XUL) extensions I rely on.

@CJ2020, I still maintain my WinXP machine for the same reason... in order to run legacy software. But I found it almost impossible to browse on that machine so I built a modern Linux machine for browsing and email only. Fortunately my work space is large enough to accommodate two machines, but my plan is to install XP onto a virtual machine as tanstaafl recommends. However, I've been procrastinating for two years, because I must restore my live XP OS onto the VM instead of starting with a fresh install. This is not at all straightforward for a number of reasons (and is generally not supported by VM software).

CJ2020

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 10:49 am

[quote] "One word of caution: Since your version of T'bird is so old, it's possible (but unlikely) that it won't complete the autoinstall process with Yahoo's mail server. So you'll want to do a backup before you delete your account, just to be safe. Of course, it's always advisable to do a backup before making any changes to software you rely on! If it turns out that your version of TB isn't compatible with the autoinstall process, you'll have no choice but to follow Option 3, or give up using TB."

Thanks for your help. When you say backup my files do you mean backup the Thunderbird Profiles file in the MacBook Pro's Library folder or to move my existing email files in Thunderbird (Inbox, Sent, Etc.) to the "Local Folders".

CJ2020

ginahoy

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 11:15 am

CJ2020 wrote:When you say backup my files do you mean backup the Thunderbird Profiles file in the MacBook Pro's Library folder or to move my existing email files in Thunderbird (Inbox, Sent, Etc.) to the "Local Folders".

As tanstaafl noted after my reply, your version of TB is not compatible with OAuth2 so you can't do Option 2, and thus my point about backing up TB is moot. If you want to continue to use TB v45, you'll need to generate a new token as your password each time you open TB (Option 3). I'll leave it to others to comment on whether that will work with TB v45. In any case, Option 3 doesn't modify your TB setup so there's no urgency to back up your files first. But you should be doing routine backups for every other reason, especially given that you rely on legacy software.

bex1210

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 3:48 pm

It is a good thing that I backed up everything, because this is turning into a disaster! I have Tbird 60.9. Using IMAP. Windows7 Pro (64 bit) SP1. I have Tbird on two computers, but so far I have only tested this on my desktop. Based on what has been said, I chose Option 2.

I deleted my aol account (my Email address is XXX@compuserve.com).
Then I selected 'Add Mail Account" (which comes up as 'Set up an Existing Email account'). Is this the correct choice?

Assuming that it is, I filled out the form, selecting my current name, Email address, and CURRENT password. Is this all correct?

Then I checked IMAP, entered my current incoming server (imap.aol.com, my current Port (993), my current connection (SSL/TLS), my Email address and my displayed name. Is this all correct?

When I click continue, it changes my incoming to imap.mail.yahoo.com (with OAuth2 authentication), and my outgoing to smtp.mail.yahoo.com, also with OAuth2 authentication. Yet at the bottom of the page, it still shows IMAP, my incoming server as imap.aol.com, etc. All of what is at the bottom of the page is correct.

I tried to change (back in the middle of the page) the incoming and outgoing addresses back to aol, but then the OAuth2 authentication notes went away. I proceeded anyway by checking 'Done'. Thunderbird froze. When I rebooted and reopened it, my compuserve account was gone. So I reinstalled my old Profile, and reopened Tbird.

This time I followed the same steps as before, except when I got to the page where the OAuth2 authentications appear, I left those entries at mail.yahoo.com, but put in at the bottom of the page my current IMAP information. When I clicked 'Done' I got a message saying my password was not valid!

I again reinstalled my old Profile and now Tbird correctly displays my compuserve account and all 6764 of it's messages. (I routinely compact this account)

So what am I doing wrong here? These instructions are specifically for accessing AOL email on Thunderbird. I have not seen any other posts that have mentioned this kind of problem.

I do have a very old Yahoo account, which is still active. But that does not have a compuserve Email address, nor does it use aol servers.

Harry

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 4:24 pm

I suspect the Mozilla ISP database (the instructions Thunderbird uses to configure a new account, which are typically submitted by email providers) has not been updated recently for all of the domains used by your email provider. This shouldn't be too surprising given AOL officially shut down CompuServe in 2009.

I suggest you just edit the authentication method to use OAuth2 for the existing POP/IMAP account and its SMTP server instead of deleting and adding your account.

bex1210

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 5:53 pm

tanstaafl wrote:I suggest you just edit the authentication method to use OAuth2 for the existing POP/IMAP account and its SMTP server instead of deleting and adding your account.

I just did that. Both places. I then closed Tbird, waited about 30 seconds, and opened it again. First I got an AOL login page to enter my password. I entered the old one.

Then I got an AOL screen asking that I agreed to AOL Read & write, plus OpenID and OAuth terms. I clicked on Agree.

Then for some reason Tbird closed. I reopened it, and got an AOL message saying that my compuserve.com account was just used to sign on Thunderbird AOL.

I then went to the Password Manager and there is one new entry: oauth://login.aol.com (mail-w). It has my correct XXX@compuserve.com user name, and a 20+ digit random number for the Password, with today's date.

I have opened and closed Tbird several times since, and it seems to be working fine. I checked all my Account settings, and except for the OAuth changes, nothing else did. I did NOT lose any emails.

This was all on my desktop. I assume when I go to my laptop, I should just repeat this procedure?

Thanks so much for your help and patience. If this is all that is required, why don't the AOL instructions just say this?

Harry

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 18th, 2020, 6:36 pm

I suggest you do the same for your laptop.

"why don't the AOL instructions just say this?"
I suspect somebody decided telling their users to delete & then add the account reduced their support costs the most.

bex1210

Post Posted October 19th, 2020, 11:17 am

tanstaafl wrote:I suggest you do the same for your laptop.

I just did that. I followed the same procedure as I noted in my earlier post about my desktop.

This time, after I agreed to the AOL Read/write etc., Tbird stayed open (unlike on my desktop when it closed by itself). I checked my Password Manager, and the new oauth entry was there along with the 20+digit random number for the Password. None of my Account settings had changed, except the two I made for the Authentication method.

Earlier this morning I got a 'last call' notice from AOL reminding me that as of tomorrow, they will no longer support 3rd party applications. So for those of you who have Tbird 60 and up, this suggestion by tanstaaft is by far the easiest way to meet the AOL requirements.

You previously noted my old Compuserve Email address. I have multiple addresses, but that is the one I use 99% of the time. That dates back to my first computer, an Apple II. I bought a dial-up modem. I knew of Compuserve because I live in northern Ohio, and it was based in Columbus, OH. I was attracted to it because it had lots of support groups, and I needed (and still do!) support. Unfortunately they stuck to that model for too long, and the AOL's of this world correctly saw that Email was a much larger market than computer enthusiasts.

Thanks again for all your great help on this issue.

Harry

Mudder

Post Posted October 19th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Its after midnight, the 20th here, Thunderbird seems to be running normally so far.

smislt

Post Posted October 20th, 2020, 8:49 am

Not for me.

BuddhaNature

Post Posted October 20th, 2020, 8:55 am

Seems to have worked for me, but I'm in Scotland and I don't know if world time-zones come into this. Personally, I decided I can't be sure until 21st or 22nd of October.

smislt

Post Posted October 20th, 2020, 10:11 am

Well, this is weird. Late last night, it didn't work. I just checked again and it IS working!!

smislt

Post Posted October 20th, 2020, 12:10 pm

I'm glad I procrastinated and didn't do anything at all as it seems to be working fine without having to jump through Yahoo hoops!!

Return to Thunderbird Support