MozillaZine

Anyone else got this from Yahoo?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mudder

Post Posted October 9th, 2020, 9:12 am

More confused than ever, after your post. I only use my yahoo.ca email for non-serious stuff, 'fun' stuff. Along with gmail.

For business stuff, I use my ISP's servers, POP and SMTP via Thunderbird.

The 20th is only ten days away, if the notification is legit, I'll do what the majority here has done.

I don't want to delete the account and then try to resurrect it, despite having its' p/w and login on paper, in my desk notebook.

Something is bound to go wrong, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

bex1210

Post Posted October 9th, 2020, 12:49 pm

I'm still confused, guys. I have Thunderbird 60.9, IMAP, Windows 7 Pro computer. I have AOL as my primary mail system. AOL is just rebranded Yahoo.

Several have tried Option 3, and said it works. But the Yahoo wording seemed to indicated that one would have to re-enter that password every time they either close/open Thunderbird, or reboot the computer. Do you have to reenter the password under these conditions?

Has anyone used Option 2? If so, did you lose all your previously posted messages, etc?

Also, I thought I had saved the Email I got from Yahoo, but I can't find it. Does anyone have the link to the Yahoo instructions for the various Thunderbird options?

Harry

smislt

Post Posted October 10th, 2020, 1:20 pm

bex1210 wrote:I'm still confused, guys. I have Thunderbird 60.9, IMAP, Windows 7 Pro computer. I have AOL as my primary mail system. AOL is just rebranded Yahoo.

Several have tried Option 3, and said it works. But the Yahoo wording seemed to indicated that one would have to re-enter that password every time they either close/open Thunderbird, or reboot the computer. Do you have to reenter the password under these conditions?

Has anyone used Option 2? If so, did you lose all your previously posted messages, etc?

Also, I thought I had saved the Email I got from Yahoo, but I can't find it. Does anyone have the link to the Yahoo instructions for the various Thunderbird options?

Harry

Harry, the complete email is in the first post in this thread. I have not tried option 2 so I hope someone comments on that too.

smislt

Post Posted October 10th, 2020, 1:47 pm

BuddhaNature

Post Posted October 11th, 2020, 5:03 am

I tired Option 3 a few weeks back. It seemed to work fine. However, a couple of days ago I got an email from Yahoo (identical to the first email I received from them on this) which, I took it, was implying that I need to do this again. This time I did Option 2 and, as far as I can tell, it seems to have worked fine. The only niggly bit was after it was all done I had to shutdown and restart Thunderbird again, once I did that all the folders for my Yahoo account showed up again. And, no, I didn't lose any emails though I am using IMAP and not POP.

After all this was done I looked at the settings for my Yahoo account and the only difference I could see, in Server Settings, is the [b]Authentication method[/b] is now set at OAuth2 (which it wasn't before).

I suppose come 20 October 2020 I'll get to know if the Option 2 thing worked for good. If I was doing it again I would go with Option 2, in some ways it is simpler and easier than Option 3. Just whatever Option you try remember to shutdown Thunderbird, make a backup of your Profile folder, then restart Thunderbird, before trying the (whatever) Option -- that way if anything goes wrong you're at least in with a chance of getting your emails back again.

smislt

Post Posted October 11th, 2020, 2:28 pm

If you make a backup of your Profile folder, will that retain all Yahoo Mail in my Thunderbird inbox? If so, can you explain how to do that. I'm not a computer wiz.

Thunderbyrde

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 2:53 am

I tried option 2 in Thunderbird, but after filling in the email and clicking on NEXT, I get the error message: "Please reload the page and try again, or use another browser."

https://imgur.com/a/GDoHqOb

I can neither reload the page via F5 or use another browser (how?).
Can anyone help with this problem?

BuddhaNature

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 2:54 am

smislt wrote:If you make a backup of your Profile folder, will that retain all Yahoo Mail in my Thunderbird inbox?

Yes, your email is stored (along with a lot of other things) in your profile folder.

Making a backup of the profile folder is easy:

1. In TB go (menu) Help > Troubleshooting information

2. In the tab that opens up look at the Application Basics table. In the blue column look for the entry titled Profile Folder. To the right of that entry you will see a button titled Open Folder -- click on that button -- an Explorer window will open up showing you the content of your currently active profile.

3. Shutdown TB but keep the Explorer window open. Give TB 30 seconds or so to exit gracefully, (When you shutdown TB it spends some time writing new information into the profile folder and deleting some files it only needs when TB is open, so you have to allow TB time to do that. This is one of the reasons why you should always shutdown/exit TB manually, never let the system do it 'automatically' for you. If you do allow the system to do it then you risk data corruption for TB.)

4. In the Explorer window go up one folder level -- so that you can see the name of your profile folder.

5. Now copy the profile folder to somewhere else on your hard-drive.

6. That's it. You have now made a copy of your profile folder.

7. Restart TB and do whatever 'Option' you want to do with your Yahoo account. (Having tried two Options I found Option 2 the easiest to deal with.)

8. Having dealt with Yahoo, shutdown TB again and give it 30 seconds or so to write/delete its data.

9. Restart TB and, hopefully, you should see your Yahoo account all in good order.

10. Now check your Yahoo account settings to make sure all the settings you have are how you like them. However, do not adjust Server Settings > Security Settings leave them as they are for this new method of accessing your Yahoo account. (When I did this I didn't have to alter any settings as my old settings were retained -- the only difference I could see was for the Security Settings.)

If you run into problems then post up here and ask for advice on how to recover your old emails (that bit is beyond my pay-grade I'm afraid).

Mudder

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 9:01 am

Holy Crap!!!!
v78.3.2
The bloody change in U.I. really threw me, am about to try that OAuth2 setting you guys were talking about.
OK;
The change generated some web-based prompts, to which I just repeated my regular p/w into the POP account, then received this auto-email from
Yahoo:
Yahoo

Hi BRUCE,

Your Yahoo account *************************** was just used to sign in on thunderbird.

If you did this, you’re all set.

If not, please use this link to stop sharing, and then create a new password.

Thanks

Thanks,

Yahoo

Replies sent to this email cannot be answered.

Exit and restart of T-bird was normal.
Yahoo must have then generated that crazy AN9************************************************************
password that is quite different than the one I was using, as seen in the Password Manager dialogue.
I use the portable version of Thunderbird, which will "travel" with me on it's own drive to the next
workstation I build.
Do you recommend changing from SMTP to IMAP in the settings? What is the operational difference?
Last edited by Mudder on October 12th, 2020, 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

bex1210

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 9:16 am

BuddhaNature wrote:
3. Shutdown TB but keep the Explorer window open. Give TB 30 seconds or so to exit gracefully, (When you shutdown TB it spends some time writing new information into the profile folder and deleting some files it only needs when TB is open, so you have to allow TB time to do that. This is one of the reasons why you should always shutdown/exit TB manually, never let the system do it 'automatically' for you. If you do allow the system to do it then you risk data corruption for TB.)

I never knew about the 30 seconds needed. Thanks for that tip. I usually just go into Windows Explorer and make a copy from there. For this, I am also going to make a complete backup of my computer just before I try this.

I have a different question. I run Thunderbird 60.9 using Windows 7 Pro. I use IMAP. I have Thunderbird on TWO computers. I assume I have to do this upgrade on each of them?

Harry

BuddhaNature

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 9:53 am

bex1210 wrote:I have a different question. I run Thunderbird 60.9 using Windows 7 Pro. I use IMAP. I have Thunderbird on TWO computers. I assume I have to do this upgrade on each of them?

I don't know the answer to that. If it was me I would assume that it should be done in each separate instance of TB and so would just do that anyway. My reasoning for that is that it seems that what Yahoo are doing is in some way verifying that a particular app instance has permission to access Yahoo mail in which case each separate instance of TB would have to have adopted the 'mechanism' for accessing Yahoo mail. Maybe someone else would want to chip in on that.

Now I'm kind of wondering if the fact that you are using TB 60.9 is going to be an issue for you? I don't know but it might be a potential stumbling-block.

P.S. When I say 30 seconds I am being very conservative/protective. TB probably manages the writing and deleting of profile data within a few seconds, but I just give it plenty of time, just in case. (Firefox is the same, always shutdown/exit manually, never let the system do it 'automatically'.)

Mudder

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 10:06 am

BuddhaNature wrote: (Firefox is the same, always shutdown/exit manually, never let the system do it 'automatically'.)

OT;
I find Firefox performs admirably in that regard, especially when the local Hydro unexpectedly goes out.

BuddhaNature

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 10:13 am

Mudder wrote:I find Firefox performs admirably in that regard, especially when the local Hydro unexpectedly goes out.

Ha, ha, ha! :lol: Water-powered Russian roulette -- good luck!

BuddhaNature

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 10:19 am

Thunderbyrde wrote:I tried option 2 in Thunderbird, but after filling in the email and clicking on NEXT, I get the error message: "Please reload the page and try again, or use another browser."

https://imgur.com/a/GDoHqOb

I can neither reload the page via F5 or use another browser (how?).
Can anyone help with this problem?

I can't follow what it is you're trying to do. Are you trying to access Yahoo directly through your browser? (Your screenshot seems to suggest that is what you are trying to do.) If that is what you are trying to do then why are you trying to do that?

For what it is worth the change that you need to make to allow your Thunderbird to access Yahoo mail has nothing at all to with your browser or entering Yahoo mail directly on the webmail interface via your browser.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 10:56 am

https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-f ... rue#others says to remove the yahoo account and then add it again in order to use the new sign-in method but as far as I can tell that is just a very crude way to get you to switch to using OAuth2 for authentication. I recommend just changing the authentication method for the POP/IMAP account and the SMTP server to OAuth2.

If you delete the account and add it again you will need to edit the local directory setting at the bottom of the account server settings to the old value to get it to reuse the old local directory (where the account stores its files). If you're using IMAP accounts you could skip that and just lose your message filters but you'd have to do that if you use a POP account to avoid losing downloaded mail.

Return to Thunderbird Support