MozillaZine

2 problems: drafts and sent emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
phaolo

Post Posted March 27th, 2020, 6:10 am

Hello, I have 2 different problems with Thunderbird, can you please help me?

1- Since a while, on my POP profile, drafts get written on multiple entries (instead of being overwitten on the same one) and then they aren't deleted after I eventually send the email.

2- the following issue, instead, has happened on every different PCs and profiles on which I tried TB: if I use an IMAP email account with 2 different devices, the sent email is only saved locally and not on the server.
And the options seem correct: IMAP selected, "Sent" syncronized, "place copy" points to the online folder.

Do you know how to fix these?

EDIT: wait, is this forum closing down? :(

LIMPET235

Post Posted March 27th, 2020, 7:55 am

Moving this to Thunderbird Support & no, it's not closing down....(Hopefully not.)
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

makaiguy

Post Posted March 27th, 2020, 9:39 am

phaolo wrote:2- the following issue, instead, has happened on every different PCs and profiles on which I tried TB: if I use an IMAP email account with 2 different devices, the sent email is only saved locally and not on the server.
And the options seem correct: IMAP selected, "Sent" syncronized, "place copy" points to the online folder.

Make sure the "Sent" folder identified on the IMAP server actually exists. For instance, if you tell TBird to use "Sent" but the actual folder name on the server is "Sent messages", the message won't be saved.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 75.0 (64bit), TB 68.8.0 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 68.7.0, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

phaolo

Post Posted March 27th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Ah, let's hope so.

In the meantime I posted on TB's support forum too.

1-
Code: Select all
"I'm using the drafts normally: I write an email, TB autosaves, then I send it or close it to save\delete it (kinda rare).
In the past this created 1 temporary copy, but now it's multiple non-temp ones.

Repair and Compact didn't solve the problem.
Btw I tend to keep the Drafts folder empty.

Info:
- Win7 Pro x64 (no Win10 pls)
- TB v68.6.0 x64 (last version)
- Folders>All yes
- I'm using the Global Inbox"

2-
Code: Select all
Sorry, I made a mistake.

The main account is POP.
It stores an offline copy of the emails, but it also leaves them on the server unless they're deleted.

The secondary ones, instead, are IMAP.

What I never managed to do is send emails from the IMAP ones and make them appear in the other ones too. It's like they're all separated somehow..

--
Umm.. I checked the webmail online and I noticed that the default localized "Posta Inviata" (Send) isn't there!

There's just a custom "Send" folder, containing only the test email created by one of the IMAP accounts.

If I try sending one directly from the webmail, it doesn't appear anywhere.
Maybe the mail provider messed up! O_o
I'll contact them, thanks.

(So makaiguy had a good hunch.)

phaolo

Post Posted March 28th, 2020, 10:25 am

Ok, problem 1 is solved.
I had to delete the "Drafts" files inside \Thunderbird\Profiles\[profile]\Mail\Local Folders\
(I had no draft saved btw)

pete of ebor

Post Posted March 29th, 2020, 3:38 am

I noticed both of these issues too. The sent mail issue can be fixed by making sure you select the correct 'sent' folder, eg on Gmail, when TB set my gmail IMAP account up, there were two 'sent' folders called 'sent' and 'sent mail'. Go to account settings > copies and folders, and make sure you select 'sent mail on gmail' as your sent folder, otherwise you end up with a 'local' sent folder. Gmail however should not lose any sent mail even if it goes to a local folder, as all your mail (both sent and received) should be in the folder 'All Mail' - gmail is unique in this (AFAIK !)
I noticed the drafts issue too, but I have not yet found a proper workaround - other than to just manually select and delete each draft once the mail has been sent. I'm sure TB used to make only one draft then delete it automatically once the mail was sent.. but it seems to have stopped doing that. It's not ideal, but I can live with it..

Return to Thunderbird Support