MozillaZine

68.5.0 unsatisfctory, reverted

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
toadisland

Post Posted February 23rd, 2020, 1:16 pm

I updated to TB 68.5.0 and lost control of my email accounts, lost control of my smtp servers, setups, and passwords. This version tries to do too much, assuming too much about how things are done. Please give us back control over ALL server parameters. Otherwise, the changes seem OK. I have now reverted to 60.4.0 and will try to turn off auto updates.

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 23rd, 2020, 3:46 pm

Something must have gone wrong with that update as 68.5.0 doesn’t change the way the user can control server setting or passwords. Can you be more specific as to what was different under the newer version?

toadisland

Post Posted February 23rd, 2020, 6:20 pm

when I try to set up second smtp service, I'm not asked for a password and I can't find a place to enter it. I tried setting up a new account, same pop but new smtp, and it tells me error, pop already set up - but i know that already - i just want a choice of smtp servers. ps: all my incoming mail is funneled to one pop server. PS: what's the latest release without all the big changes?

Later: I should add: that I created a whole new profile because I was having problems in my inbox connecting to the 'summary' subject lines. I saw on this 'forum' that it was likely due to a corrupted profile, so decided to uninstall, install a new version, create a new profile. I suppose I should just have gone to -p but I didn't think to do it.
Last edited by toadisland on February 23rd, 2020, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 23rd, 2020, 6:50 pm

You don’t need to add a new account to add an additional SMTP definition. Menu path Tools->Account Settings->at the bottom of the left hand pane click on Outgoing Server (SMTP), then atthe upper right of the dialogue click on “Add”. And enter the settings.
You’re not clear in your post. Do you have more than one account in that Thunderbird profile?
Not sure what “big changes” you’re referring to.

toadisland

Post Posted February 23rd, 2020, 6:57 pm

The GUI and layout all seem different - Yes, I was trying to set up different accounts to get different smtp connections because I was unsuccessful implementing a variety of smtp connections in my primary account.

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 24th, 2020, 4:41 am

I'm afraid that's still not clear. By "more than one account" I mean do you have different email addresses from different providers set up in Thunderbird or more than one address from the same provider.
You went beyond what would have been recommended here in trying to resolve the "problems in my inbox connecting to the 'summary' subject lines" and may have introduced some of the problems you're having now. When you uninstalled the old version did you delete the old profile? If not, you may now have multiple profiles which could cause it to appear that there are big differences in the GUI.

What specific error messages and/or problems are you seeing now when trying to get and send messages?

Daifne

Post Posted February 24th, 2020, 7:57 am

Moving to Thunderbird Support

toadisland

Post Posted February 26th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Thank You !! This is getting complicated and I've decided to back up, start anew, delete old profiles, and divest myself of some legacy IDs.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 26th, 2020, 7:38 pm

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird explains where the setup programs for each version can be downloaded from.

If you want to start fresh with an older version I suggest you choose 60.9.1. If nothing else it will be easier to get help with that version than 60.4.0. Don't forget to set extensions.strictCompatibility false if you want to use add-ons that will work with that version but don't explicitly state that they do so. https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thund ... s-support/

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3041270 has links to unofficial fixed versions of add-ons or documentation on what to edit to fix some broken add-ons.

toadisland

Post Posted February 26th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Thanks, no hurry, need free time

toadisland

Post Posted February 27th, 2020, 2:20 pm

I am now in TB 60.9.1 and trying to set up a 2nd smtp. Ihave just gone thru the "add" new smtp server but I am not asked for a password for that server and I can find no place to set that server's password. It is not the same as the password for server one.

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 27th, 2020, 3:16 pm

You will be able to enter a password when trying to send a message using the new SMTP definition. The server will ask Thunderbird for the password and Thunderbird will display a dialogue for you to provide the appropriate value and offering a check box to tell Thunderbird to remember the password for later automatic entry.

JYLD

Post Posted February 27th, 2020, 3:59 pm

You can't go to Tools > Account Settings > Outgoing Server and then edit the settings for the smtp server to add password and security? Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do.

toadisland

Post Posted February 27th, 2020, 4:33 pm

JYLD wrote:You can't go to Tools > Account Settings > Outgoing Server and then edit the settings for the smtp server to add password and security? Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do.

There is no place originally or in 'edit' later to enter a password ..

btw, guys, that's why I was trying to set up multiple accounts earlier - just to enable multiple smtp servers.

toadisland

Post Posted February 27th, 2020, 5:39 pm

DanRaisch wrote:You will be able to enter a password when trying to send a message using the new SMTP definition. The server will ask Thunderbird for the password and Thunderbird will display a dialogue for you to provide the appropriate value and offering a check box to tell Thunderbird to remember the password for later automatic entry.

The servers are not asking for the password. I get the message "server timeout"

Return to Thunderbird Support