MozillaZine

debugging phantom folder in IMAP.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bjlockie

Post Posted November 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm

I deleted a folder on my server before unsubscribing in Thunderbird.
Does this log mean the server still thinks the folder exists?

2019-11-17 23:57:04.702590 UTC - [(null) 7456: Unnamed thread 0x7f7e961dc940]: I/IMAP 0x7f7e98e33800:imapmail.com:A:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * LIST (\Subscribed \NonExistent) "." INBOX.folder

bjlockie

Post Posted November 17th, 2019, 5:23 pm

I'm pretty sure it was the server because I edited the 'subscriptions' file on the server to remove references to the INBOX.folder and Thunderbird works.

Thunderbird should let the user unsubscribe from deleted folders.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 17th, 2019, 10:55 pm

I ran into a related issue 7 year ago that I reported in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=885162

One of the developer's comments was: "With IMAP it is perfectly normal and allowed to be subscribed to a non-existent folder. You could argue that for normal usage a folder should be automatically unsubscribed when you delete it, but given a scenario where you deleted a folder without unsubscribing, showing it in the Subscribe window is actually correct behavior."

Another comment was: "> Tomorrow I'll try to (snip) delete a subscribed folder without unsubscribing it, (snip)

If using Tb, it's almost impossible, because Tb always issues unsubscribe upon delete or rename folder, unless Tb's bug fortunately happens (for example, bug when special char in Mbox name). And, if "delete a subscribed folder without unsubscribing it" is done by someone, the Mbox should be returned to both "LSUB" command and "LIST (subscribed)" command always.
"

bjlockie

Post Posted November 19th, 2019, 10:39 am

Great link, I fixed my problem.
Thundertbird should at least let the user unsubscribe from a ghost folder. :-)
I fixed my problem by manually editing the 'subscribed' file on the server to removed the non-existent folders.

Return to Thunderbird Support