MozillaZine

Attachment filename nsmail.tmp

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bplayer

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 4:41 pm

I have 2 PC's running Firefox 60.9.1, both with standard installs/upgrade. On one PC when a draft message has been saved and then reopened, the thumbname file extension shown when hovering the cursor over the attachment has a .tmp rather than .xlxs or .docx extension. The result is when the attachment is double clicked it is not opened with the appropriate app It works normally on the other PC.

This only happens if the extension is .xls or .doc and not for .pdf or .txt file extensions. Anyone know what is going on?

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 6:32 pm

"running Firefox 60.9.1"

I think you meant Thunderbird 60.9.1.

nsmail.tmp is the name of a temporary file created when composing a message. It would be nsmail.html if you were composing a HTML message. The mimetypes.rdf file in your profile used to be used to manage what utility was used for what file extension. Thunderbird seems to use handlers.json now. The mimetypes.rdf file used to get periodically corrupted. If you delete it Thunderbird creates a replacement with default values, and then you customize what gets used for attachments again. I suggest you compare the handlers.json file with the corresponding file on the other PC.

I suggest you use Control-U or view -> message source and look at the headers for the attachment in the message. What filename does it specify?

Bplayer

Post Posted November 17th, 2019, 6:35 am

Yes, I meant TB.

From Control-U the filenames are correct. I tried deleting the mimetypes.rdf but no change. Also replaced the handlers.json from the good PC but no difference.

Other discoveries:
- Save the draft email to an external file (from save as, or saving the Control-U message window as a .eml). When opening that file it appear as a regular message and the attachment shows up correctly and is opened normally.
- TB 60.9.1 was reinstalled over the existing install, but that did not fix it.

There must be some other service that was corrupted. Would deleting all the files, not subfolders, in the Thunderbird folder and then reinstalling TB be a practical option instead of blowing away TB completely and starting from scratch (after saving the data files of course)?

Bplayer

Post Posted November 17th, 2019, 9:18 am

It gets even stranger. I have a 3rd PC, a laptop, that is used when traveling. The desktop PC is sync'ed to the laptop, and this includes all the files and folders for Thunderbird. This had been done a few days ago, and I just sync'ed the imap and Mail folders only. Opened TB and the draft file attachment works normally.

I then sync'ed all the files and folder for Thunderbird from the laptop to the desktop PC. Opened TB and the draft file attachment still shows as .tmp. This suggest something wrong with the TB install. Maybe the next step would be to uninstall TB program, retaining the Thunderbird folders, and reinstall TB.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 17th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Sometimes re-installing helps but none of your symptoms suggest a faulty installation is the cause of your problems. It doesn't hurt to re-install as it doesn't delete your profile. If you're worried, back it up first. However, I think you'd have more luck copying the profile from the PC that is working correctly to the other PC. You will have to experiment.

Return to Thunderbird Support