MozillaZine

Can't designate default account

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
i_am_jim

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 10:57 am

I've used a certain account as default since I began using TB. Suddenly another account has become the default and the original is grayed out so I can't select it.

Anybody know how to select the original again?

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 11:35 am

I only see "set as default" grayed out when the default account is the account selected. mail.accountmanager.defaultaccount seems to specify the default account. In my case its set to account1 so if I look in server1 at mail.server.server1.name I can identify the account. The same id is used for a server and its corresponding account.

You could also sort the accounts using the manually sort folders. It lets you change the order of the accounts in the folder pane.

i_am_jim

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Thank you. Now you are going to have to explain to me how reach mail.accountmanager.defaultaccount

i_am_jim

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 12:30 pm

OK, I found it but changing the account in mail.accountmanager.defaultaccount does not change the default account. Instead it seems to move the selected account to the top of the sort

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 12:57 pm

AFAIK that is all that a default account is nowadays. In very early versions if you didn't define a SMTP server for an account it defaulted to using the SMTP server of the default account. But nobody seems to use that feature anymore after the new account wizard was added.

There is a separate setting that governs whether you resume at the last selected message when you restart. That message doesn't have to be in the default account.

What is your definition of a default account?

i_am_jim

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 1:10 pm

The account selected when I choose Write from the bar with Get Messages.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Clicking on the Write button doesn't change your account. It uses whatever account is already selected in the folder pane to specify what From: address to use, what SMTP server to use etc. unless you've overrode that behavior with an add-on such as Folder Account that lets you independently associate user accounts and identities with specific folders.

i_am_jim

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 2:58 pm

I don't know what to tell you. It has worked the way I said for many years and just stopped a couple of weeks ago.

But. I found an old backup, copied the file and now it's working like always. I have 17 accounts, the cursor can be in any of them but it always uses what I call the default address.

Before this wonderful forum closes, I'd like to know -- how do I determine the number assigned to an account?

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Its looking a lot less likely that the forum will close, but its future is still unclear.

"I have 17 accounts, the cursor can be in any of them but it always uses what I call the default address."
Perhaps you're using some setting I don't know about. I assume you didn't do something like configure every account to use the Gmail SMTP server, which would cause that account to send mail using your Gmail From: address (as that SMTP server ignores any unregistered From: email addresses).

https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/996194
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1118385

The mail and news section in help -> troubleshooting information will identify the account id of each account if you also check "include account names" near the top of the window.

i_am_jim

Post Posted November 16th, 2019, 5:36 pm

No. I use three different servers

Return to Thunderbird Support