MozillaZine

TB 68.2.2 Add-ons Manager Issue - Extension load time

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Roxie2401

Post Posted November 10th, 2019, 9:16 am

If I am in the Message Pane and select Add-Ons - the Add-ons Manager page opens but momentarily will flash messages about specific extensions ("Legacy" in yellow; "Allowed in Private Window" in purple, etc.) but then those messages disappear the the traditional listing of extensions show.

I have also noticed the extensions load very slowly in this version as compared to version 60.x --- TB opens in the Message Pane and I can actually see extensions (like Lightning, Quick Folders, toolbars, Account Colors-Message Pane starts as Black & White and at the end of the extension load, changes to the desired account colors) load one at a time.

I don't think this is related to the actual extensions - they have been updated to work with v68, but more of a TB code issue, especially since I can see the extensions load and the momentary flash of messages in the Add-ons Manager page.

If I disable the extensions and select each one, one at a time, the load time is faster but this never was an issue with the prior versions of TB ---- and this is the same extension list.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 10th, 2019, 7:00 pm

I read all of my messages using the message pane too and haven't noticed anything unusual when I select tools -> add-ons. Do you have a slow PC?

I know that the contents of the optional start pane can flash other images before displaying what its supposed to. That is a old bug that they explicitly and formally decided not to fix.

Are you using version 68.2.2 ?

I am using the Lightning, ImportExportToolsNG, CompactHeader, FolderFlags, Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV, and TBSync extensions. I've also had about 6 more extensions loaded at the same time (that I haven't kept) without noticing anything like your problem.

Roxie2401

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 5:43 am

This did not happen with version 60, only after upgrading to 68.2.2 (32) ------Also, communication with one Extension developer who had to make a change to that add-on due to "heavy load time." I am using the following extensions: Account Colors, Lightning, Quick Folders, Quick Text, Remove Duplicate Messages (Alternate). Here is his update notes:

Version 12.1 Released Nov. 9, 2019 50.3 KiB Works with Thunderbird 68.0 - *
New features, changes and fixes in Version 12.1:

• Fix: Under heavy load on startup attempted to color folder/thread trees before Thunderbird finished parsing CSS style sheets. Fixed.
• Fix: Under heavy load on startup attempted to color folder/thread trees before Thunderbird finished initializing tree views. Fixed.
• Fix: Sometimes on startup folder/thread trees were not colored until a folder was selected. Fixed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is happening on both my Desktop and Laptop - both running Windows 10 Pro.

What I notice on both machines is when I select Add-Ons, the tab is initially showing more detail about each addon (Legacy, View in Private Window, etc.) and then that info goes away.

It definitely looks like an initialization issue with TB 68 ---- same addons as before, never a problem. I've even cleared the TB cache, etc. --- same issue.

All the Addons work, just takes a while for TB to "settle down."

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 6:45 am

I think you are quoting the update notes for the account colors add-on. Try disabling that add-on, restarting Thunderbird and see if that helps. I suspect you are blaming Thunderbird for a problem with a specific add-on that had to be rewritten to support version 68.*. The add-on author had to convert a legacy add-on that used XPCOM/XUL to a add-on that used the WebExtensions API. There is a big learning curve using the new API.

If its due to that add-on you can either live with the problem, disable the add-on or drop back to 60.* for a while (will need to use older version of the add-ons) and try again in a couple of months. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird

wsmwk

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 9:12 am

Based on my technical understanding of what has changed in addons, the notes you cite by the author of Account Colors indicates (to me) that the issues he fixed were issues inherent in the addon, and existed PRIOR to version 68, although clearly they were not evident to users prior to 68.

Thunderbird startup has always been a "heavy load" scenario. But I don't think it has gotten worse because of addons, if anything it should have gotten better. Especially because you say you can "see" things loading, I suspect this is antivirus related. We've had a number of reports that Defender antivirus on Windows 10 is especially bad. Try starting Windows 10 in safe mode. Does the startup performance improve?

Roxie2401

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm

1. I disabled Account Colors --- same issue ---- I can see each addon build a toolbar (Quick Folders, for example) one at a time. This was not an issue prior to v68 -----

2. I added the AddOn Icon to the Mail Toolbar (Customize - drag and drop). Each time I click on that Icon and the Addon Manager starts I see additional information (" X Addon has not been Verified with Thunderbird. Proceed with caution") or legacy (in bright yellow) or "View in Private Window" (in purple). These messages just flash past (I had to repeatedly go from the Message Pane to Addons Manager to see them). The system is trying to tell me something relative to all the addons but the messages don't stay on the screen.

None of this happened prior to v68.2.2, including seeing the various toolbars build, one at a time. Which I why I don't think this is just a problem with Account Colors --- it appear to be happening will all the addon loads on two system. And, it happens on two systems with two different profiles.

Thanks for your understanding and suggestions.

I have not had a chance to try disabling the antivirus --- note: I do not use Windows Defender antivirus, only the firewall. And neither the antivirus or firewall were an issue with version 60.x

Roxie2401

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 12:53 pm

tanstaafl wrote:I think you are quoting the update notes for the account colors add-on. Try disabling that add-on, restarting Thunderbird and see if that helps. I suspect you are blaming Thunderbird for a problem with a specific add-on that had to be rewritten to support version 68.*. The add-on author had to convert a legacy add-on that used XPCOM/XUL to a add-on that used the WebExtensions API. There is a big learning curve using the new API.

If its due to that add-on you can either live with the problem, disable the add-on or drop back to 60.* for a while (will need to use older version of the add-ons) and try again in a couple of months. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird

I think the author had to convert the addon to WebExtension API for version 60 as well. So this is really more than just that one extension. I never saw extensions build toolbars, load calendar and change account colors in version 60 - it was fast. 68 seems to perhaps be doing extension compatibility checks or something else during the loading. Maybe that explains the momentary messages I see when I click on the Addons Manger?

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to specify the load sequence of extensions? This wouldn't be quite so obvious if Account Colors loaded first ----- right now the message pane opens with everything in the default color (black and white) and after all the other extensions seems to load (lightning, Quick folders builds its toolbar, etc.) then the Folder Tree and Messages "pop" into the correct colors.

You are correct, I can live with it. Its annoying and never happened prior to v68.2.2 --- everything just loaded, what seemed, at the same time. Hence my question about specifying load sequence - that would help.

And, I'll ask one other question, that perhaps you can help with ---- is there a way to remove old extension data from the user profile? When an extension is removed, should all references automatically be deleted from the profile?

Thanks so much

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 1:12 pm

I just installed quick folders version 4.7.1 on 68.2.2 and dragged several folders to the toolbar it created. I didn't see any warning messages. If I try to customize the mail toolbar it has no buttons for quick folders (as far as I can see). I did add the add-ons button. No problem left or right clicking on it.

I searched the source code for any mention of "Addon has not been Verified with Thunderbird. Proceed with caution" and didn't find any. I then searched for "proceed with caution". I did find a "notification.unsigned=%1$S could not be verified for use in %2$S. Proceed with caution." where a note mentioned that %1$S is the add-on name, %2$S is brand name. Close enough. However, I didn't find anything for View in private window

https://dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/se ... irect=true

I used tools -> add-ons to find and install the quick folders add-on rather than downloading it from a web site using a browser. I had never installed that add-on before. How did you get/install it? I'm wondering if you're using a unreleased build due to getting it somewhere else, or due to the add-ons updates not being signed.

It looks like Thunderbird doesn't require an add-on to be digitally signed (that is consistent with statements I've seen in the tb-planning mailing list) but now warns you if it isn't. If you're using a un-released build it might not be digitally signed.

I suggest you uninstall all of your add-ons, restart Thunderbird, and use tools -> add-ons to get and install a new copy of from thunderbird.net. Probably won't change anything but at least it eliminates one variable.

I'm using the built-in windows firewall, windows defender and the paid version of malwarebytes antimalware with a 64-bit windows 10 Home version 1903 (build 18362.418)

"is there a way to specify the load sequence of extensions?"
Not that I'm aware of. I don't know of any setting to do that and didn't find any mention of a load order or priority in
https://developer.thunderbird.net/. Its quite possible I don't know enough to find it though.

"is there a way to remove old extension data from the user profile? When an extension is removed, should all references automatically be deleted from the profile?"
My experience is that it isn't removed from prefs.js and it frequently doesn't delete any files it created in the profile. You could use the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general to find and reset (resetting deletes settings) any settings it added but that can be error prone. Its usually safer to leave it be, it doesn't cause much bloat. Especially when you think of the enormous amount of resources used by Lightning.

Roxie2401

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Same list of addons as in version 60. Just different in loading --- I can see each one build its toolbar (Quick Folders, Lightning open the Today Pane and finally the Account Colors change from black and white to the appropriate colors).

I have always gotten the Extensions from using the "Find More Extensions" search on the Addons Manager tab --- and my belief has been that those extensions have been verified since they are from thunderbird.net.

I was even wondering if it could be related to the size of the Lightning Calendar or the size of the Folder Tree --- but neither of those have changed since upgrading to version 68.2.2.

Why I am seeing that momentary warning text on every addon when I first click on the Addons Icon is strange and never happened before.

Maybe this whole thing will clear up with 68.2.3.......one can hope.

Just noticed something else --- when I go to Options/Options I get a momentary colored (light blue) blank page and then a black and white page with the new options format. That has all got to be new code in v68 since the entire Options menu has changed.

Been a long day and I certainly appreciate your interest and assistance. In one of your original posts you mentioned that you thought I was blaming Thunderbird for something that was related to one Addon. Not my intent --- just seemed very strange that the addons are all the same but the performance was totally different since upgrading/installing version 68. I never before saw the account colors change - the message pane always opened with the correct colors and toolbars already in place - just not any more.

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding.

wsmwk

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Personally I don't think it's caused by something add-ons. Before you go to tons more effort, you might take 2 minutes to try Windows safe mode.

Roxie2401

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 6:41 pm

wsmwk wrote:Personally I don't think it's caused by something add-ons. Before you go to tons more effort, you might take 2 minutes to try Windows safe mode.

Sorry - forgot to mention this......I did try Windows 10 in Safe Mode.....and got the same results.

It does appear that Lightning seems to load slow and causes all the others to delay.....once Lightning settles and the Today Pane populates, everything else (like Account Colors) shows up in the Message Pane.

As to the Windows 10 in Safe Mode......in my distorted view...... "why?" I never had this issue on either the desktop or lap in Version 60.....didn't need to test in Safe Mode, so "been there, done that."

Could this be related to the size of my calendar data? But again its the same calendar as on v60. Could be something in my Profile that is now causing an issue that was non-affecting before. Who knows. Maybe v68.2.3 will make a difference.

At this point I agree it's not caused by add-ons but rather more code change in v68....like maybe TB is trying to validate the addons, like the Strict Compatibility check used to do...when the Addons Manager page opens with all of them marked "....could not be verified for use in Thunderbird 68.2.2." Then the message goes away. Why is it trying to do that each time?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: If I disable all addons and test one at a time, Lightning seems to take so much longer than was seen before, .......makes me think loading the calendar and populating Today Pane is taking more resources than before. Frustrating in that its the same calendar as in v60 two days ago----same size and entries.

Thanks for any additional help you may come up with.....much appreciated.

Thanks for any additional suggestions
Last edited by Roxie2401 on November 11th, 2019, 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wsmwk

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Roxie2401 wrote:
wsmwk wrote:It does appear that Lightning seems to load slow and causes all the others to delay.....once Lightning settles and the Today Pane populates, everything else (like Account Colors) shows up in the Message Pane.
Could this be related to the size of my calendar data?

Not the size, but the contents. Try disabling one calendar at a time. If that isn't possible or doesn't lead to a cause, check all long running or never ending appointments

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 7:06 pm

""....could not be verified for use in Thunderbird 68.2.2." Then the message goes away. Why is it trying to do that each time?"
I had never even heard of that warning before your post. I can't duplicate your problem after adding the add-ons you mentioned. I'm wondering if the addons.json file (used by the add-ons manager) might be corrupt. Are you using a profile that was created before you upgraded to 68.*?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?tit ... ntable=yes

Roxie2401

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 7:16 pm

tanstaafl wrote:""....could not be verified for use in Thunderbird 68.2.2." Then the message goes away. Why is it trying to do that each time?"
I had never even heard of that warning before your post. I can't duplicate your problem after adding the add-ons you mentioned. I'm wondering if the addons.json file (used by the add-ons manager) might be corrupt. Are you using a profile that was created before you upgraded to 68.*?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?tit ... ntable=yes

Yes, same profile as was used in 60.....all I did was install v68.2.2 from the download site.....and then did the "Check for updates" for the addons list.

Is it possible to rebuild the json file?

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 7:29 pm

"Is it possible to rebuild the json file?"

I exited Thunderbird, moved the addons.json file to a directory outside of the profile, and restarted. It created a new version of the file with the current time/date. My add-ons are listed and appear to work. I exited Thunderbird and restarted it a couple of minutes later. The time/date of the file hasn't changed, unlike prefs.js which gets periodically updated even when you change nothing.

What bothers me though is I removed one add-on, restarted and the time/date didn't change. I don't have a add-ons.sqlite (its obsolete predecessor) but I just noticed a extensions.json with the same time/date stamp. That is a file not listed in the KB article.

Update: I deleted both add-ons.json and extensions.json and restarted. It rebuilt them. Things look okay. I added another add-on and restarted. Both files were updated to the same date/time. So it looks like Thunderbird is now using extensions.json but maintaining addons.json for backwards compatibility. So I suggest you delete both.

Return to Thunderbird Support