MozillaZine

Import MBOX to TB?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bkup302

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 10:38 am

I'm trying to view the contents of some MBOX files that were created from one of my mailboxes, and I would like to view them on my offline Linux machine for security. I have installed Thunderbird 60 and ImportExportTools, as ImportExportTools NG was not working properly for the import with Thunderbird 68. However I find that the option to import MBOXs on ImportExportTools is greyed out. From some reading around, I get the impression that this might be because the machine is not connected to the internet, but I'm unable to connect to the internet on this machine to verify. I'd be grateful if someone advise a possible method to resolve this problem.

JYLD

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Close TB. Make sure the mbox file in question has a unique name. Then copy the mbox file to the directory where local folders are stored in your TB profile. Open TB. Scroll down to local folders and then click on the mbox file in question. Wait for TB to rebuild the index for the file.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 3:03 pm

ImportExportTools is greyed out.

Before navigating that menu path, have you clicked on the name of a folder under Local Folders into which the messages will be imported?

Bkup302

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 5:25 pm

DanRaisch wrote:
ImportExportTools is greyed out.

Before navigating that menu path, have you clicked on the name of a folder under Local Folders into which the messages will be imported?

There are no folders showing in the folders pane - basically it's a completely fresh install of Thunderbird which has not been set up with any email account as yet. Do I need to do some set up work to be able to import an MBOX?

Bkup302

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Just to update, I was able to get Local Folders to show by creating a disposable Feed Account (which I deleted), and then created some local folders into which to import the MBOX files (had to restart TB to get them to show). However, a couple of issues:

1) All the emails are showing as having attachments even if they don't - until I open them, at which point the paperclip disappears for the ones that don't actually have attachments;

2) There appear to be no pictures/photos in any of the emails - e.g. when you get an email from an online shop, there's usually a lot of pictures embedded in it, but all of those are gone, as are things like logos in emails from companies, all replaced by the generic picture place holder. It's basically just text and coloured shapes now.

Can anyone help with either of these issues?

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 4:54 am

Local Folders is a standard element of every Thunderbird installation and would normally be be visible without any user action.

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
At the top left of the image above you can see the term "All folders". That's from a drop down list that lets the user choose one of several options for viewing the list of folders. Make sure that selection is "All Folders" in your installation.

Bkup302

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 9:11 pm

When Thunderbird initially started up, I closed the wizard to set up an email account, as I don't want to use Thunderbird to connect to an email server (only to view the contents of some MBOX files). Because of that, the folder pane shown in your image was completely empty (not even the Local Folders part was there), and if I went in Account Settings, the pane there was also empty (no accounts and no server settings). I read on another thread that you could gain access to Local Folders in the folder pane without adding a proper email account by adding Feed Account instead, and that did work for me. Afterwards I deleted the Feed Account and was just left with Local Folders in the folders pane.

I believe this is the thread where that solution was found: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2969303N

However I'm still left with those two issues mentioned above: every email message from the MBOX is showing as having an attachment even if it doesn't (at least until I open it), and none of the pictures have come through with the MBOX. Is there any way to rectify either of those?

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 18th, 2019, 5:00 am

I'd suggest that you use a free MBOX viewer utility but the only ones that I am aware of require a Windows OS.
It's possible that, if those messages were originally downloaded from an IMAP account, they did not include the entire contents of the messages, specifically any image content. The appearance of phantom attachments might be caused by something in the header that Thunderbird is initially interpreting as attachments.

Have you right clicked on the name of the folder containing the imported messages and selected "Properties" from the context menu and clicked on then the "Repair folder" button? That would cause Thunderbird to rebuild the "index" file for that folder which might help with the anomalies.

Return to Thunderbird Support