MozillaZine

Upgrade on Windows from 52.9 to 68, profile disappears

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fatalerrors

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 8:30 am

Hi everyone,

In my company, we were sticked to 52.9 version of Thunderbird, due to some required modules. After the successful upgrade of our mail servers, we are now required to upgrade to 60+ version of Thunderbird. Under Linux no problem with upgrade and Debian version 60.8 were successfully deployed. Only one minor problem, some mab files (address book) destroyed for some users, easily solved with our backup system.

On Windows it's a total different story. Profiles are generated by some bash and perl scripts on user creation. When the user launch Thunderbird for the first time everything have to be set up as our privacy policy is not allowing us to access users files after creation. Eventually, maintenance scripts can be executed on user login. The thing is, the new version is creating a brand new profile not using the preconfigured default one, and creating a new one.

Our existing profile.ini are all the same :
Code: Select all
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=default

Why those are not working anymore?

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 10:12 am

Help -> troubleshooting information has a about:profiles link. That's actually a link to a version of the profile manager. For comparison purposes, I copied my profiles.ini file. Profile0 is the old profile (still works with version 60.8), Profile1 is the new one created by version 68.1.0. You're using Path=default. I'd expect it be something like Path=Profiles/gibberish.default. All that IsRelative=1 does is let you omit the full path, and make it relative to wherever your ...\Thunderbird\Profiles directory is. AFAIK you can't just set the Path to the profiles name and expect it to search for it in child directories. You have to explicitly specify the location.

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/w0p7q3aa.default
Default=1

[Profile1]
Name=60.8 32 bit
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/w0p7q3aa.default

[Profile2]
Name=68.0 32bit
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/feu8hx1l.default-release

Your title says version 68 but the text says 60.8. There is a big difference as version 68 wants to create its own profile.
See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/un ... on-profile . Which one are you using? You can use a -allow-downgrade command line argument to use a older profile with version 68.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ne_Options

fatalerrors

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 3:43 am

I'm running version 60.8 on Debian Jessie. I'm speaking about the Windows version which is 68 (but now thinking about an older compatible version).

That situation is not acceptable on enterprise grade administration. I can eventually create new profile from scratch using the new format to my new users. I can temporarily use the -allow-downgrade option for administration purpose, but I can't ask my Windows users to do that. Old profiles cannot just be lost like that. Users have data on it, important ones and mail stability is critical for my organization. I have no problem if Thunderbird want to change profile format, I have a problem if that result on data not being available to my users. The vital minimum would have been an automatic conversion of old profile to the new format, creating a copy of it (not replacing it).

I hope automatic conversion exists (ideally a command line tool I can run in a mass conversion script), elsewhere, I have a very serious issue on how Thunderbird deals with such change. Such behavior is invalidating the use of Thunderbird into companies or administration. Keep going to loose always more users.

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 5:13 am

I agree with you that its a bad decision. However, we're just a user community, with no formal ties to Mozilla.

The sad thing is that Thunderbrid is not actually changing the format of the profile (or any files in it), its just changing the format of profiles.ini and using a different "Mozilla toolkit". I suggest you complain on the Thunderbird enterprise mailing list and by writing to the community manager (Ryan Sipes).

ryan @ thunderbird.net
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/tb-enterprise

You can use the old profile if you edit the Thunderbird shortcut to specify the profiles location using command line arguments (-profile "path"), and also add -allow-downgrade to it. That's easiest if you are upgrading a old version (I don't know if that has been rolled out yet) rather than explicitly installing 68.* (by downloading the setup program from thunderbird.net....).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Running_from_ ... hunderbird

wsmwk

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 9:12 pm

This sounds like another example where installing the *32bit* version of Thunderbird will resolve the issue.

Return to Thunderbird Support