MozillaZine

Thunderbird Deleted Emails From Server

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Melston

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 9:58 am

I am royally pissed!! I just setup a new account for a friend. I thought the following issue was permanently addressed many years ago when Thunderbird downloaded all of my e-mails from the server, but it appears the problem has come back.

I tried to prevent this action but to no avail. After enabling the Menu and then navigating via Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings to disable 'Check for new messages at startup and 'Check for new messages every' it DL the emails anyway. I then tested a couple of worthless emails by deleting them from Thunderbird and then checked the server to see if they were still there. They were still there so I deleted all of the emails within Thunderbird. For some reason the damn thing then deleted all of my friend's emails from the server!

Now I'll have to send all of the hundreds of emails back to my friends server that I see in the Thunderbird Trash folder. What is the best way to do that?

And the other important question is, how do I prevent Thunderbird DL emails from the server when it's being setup, and now that it appears that it could still be able to DL emails, how do I prevent it?

Mine is setup to not DL anything. I've had mine like this for many years. I use it only to Send emails from my PC or the FF browser and was attempting to do the same for my friend.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 10:23 am

Are your system and your friend's set up to use the same email protocol? How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

If your friends is set up as an IMAP account, deleting messages in Thunderbird is also going to delete them from the server as what is displayed in TB is actually what is stored on that server.

Melston

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 10:53 am

Thanks. I just checked and my friend's is set to IMAP. Mine is POP. So I guess I have to set my friend's to POP, correct?

Also, what method is best to get the emails back into the server?

Oh shoot. I don't remember how to change it to POP. I just looked up the incoming and outgoing server for my friend's email but not sure what server name to use and if the port numbers are the same as the IMAP ones.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Thanks. I just checked and my friend's is set to IMAP. Mine is POP. So I guess I have to set my friend's to POP, correct?

Not necessarily. Now that you know (and can tell them) that what you see in Thunderbird is what is actually stored on the server, it would be a matter of only deleting those messages you really wish to delete. Any messages the friend wished to retain could be copied to a sub-folder of Thunderbird's Local Folders structure where they would be disconnected from any actions take on the messages on the server.

Now I'll have to send all of the hundreds of emails back to my friends server that I see in the Thunderbird Trash folder.

If those messages are in the Trash folder they can be copied back into the Inbox folder in Thunderbird. Just select the messages and right click on the group, then select "Copy to" from the context menu, follow the location selection path and click on the name of the Inbox folder. If you have a large number of messages involved, it may take some time for the server to respond and show the messages in the Inbox folder.

I don't remember how to change it to POP. I just looked up the incoming and outgoing server for my friend's email but not sure what server name to use and if the port numbers are the same as the IMAP ones.

You can't actually CHANGE from one email account type to another. See this article if you do feel it necessary to have your friend running a POP type account -- https://itstillworks.com/change-thunder ... 21837.html Who is their email provider?

Melston

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Hi Dan, unfortunately I lost some of the correct info before my OP. When I had my friend add another account to get the correct info for the account just before reading your last post, it now shows a message that says there are too many connections, and can't retrieve the needed server info from the new one because I guess the account info is duplicated.

The trash folder for the original seems to be non-existent even though I can still see the messages. I wanted to copy and paste the folder into the new account and then delete the original.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 7:38 pm

What is the full and exact text of that "too many connections" error message? Was that added account another IMAP to the same email address? If so, remove that second account from Thunderbird.

The trash folder for the original seems to be non-existent even though I can still see the messages.

Sorry, please clarify. How can you see the messages in the Trash folder if the folder is nonexistent?

Melston

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 9:22 pm

This is the error message it shows.

'Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum number of connections to this server. If so, use the Advanced IMAP Server Settings dialog to reduce the number of cached connections. I'm also getting the following error messages when I try to access one of the accounts'.

'An account with this name already exists. Please enter a different account name. Sending of the message failed'.

'An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server XXXXXXX (I edited out the server name) is unknown. The server may be incorrectly configured. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again'.

How can I get the correct account info? At the moment, only the new one has the correct info.

DanRaisch wrote:Sorry, please clarify. How can you see the messages in the Trash folder if the folder is nonexistent?
I can see the emails in Thunderbird Trash, but I cannot find the folder on the PC. I even used the program Everything to try to find it. I used various parts of the path name it showed via Trash > Properties. I also used Everything to find the file of which I've forgotten the name of and presently can't find.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 5:08 am

I can see the emails in Thunderbird Trash, but I cannot find the folder on the PC.

With an IMAP the data is likely on the server, not on the PC.

Who is the email provider?

Melston

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 6:22 am

Spectrum. I'm having trouble finding the correct port numbers for them. I do have the TWC name and mail.com name.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 8:21 am

Have you tried the settings listed here -- https://getmailspring.com/setup/access- ... -imap-smtp

Melston

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Dan, sorry I took so long to reply. My friend left for the day so I wasn't able to work on it.

Bad news. It deleted the account that had all of the emails even though I clicked on the new account so apparently they're gone for good. Do you know if Spectrum will be able to retrieve them since it has only been a few days?

EDIT!! This is weird as heck!! The deleted account sent all of the emails back to the server in Trash, and I then sent them back to the Inbox. Not sure if it was automatic after it was deleted or it happened because I sent the emails back to the server of the new account. :D :?

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 4:16 am

I can't say why those messages reappeared but am pleased to hear that your friend has them back.

Please post back if you have any additional questions on getting the account running as a POP type account.

Melston

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 9:43 am

Ran into a problem. I found out this morning that my friend was on the line with Spectrum for quite some time. The server email is stuck. It keeps showing a circle. Only a small portion of the emails went into the Inbox from Trash.

Unfortunately from what I've garnered, Spectrum cannot accept POP. It appears this wasn't always the case since I entered port numbers I got via the net that clearly were meant for Spectrum that caused this issue in the first place. I called Spectrum while all this was going on. When I asked them about POP, they didn't know what I was talking about and sent me to their Support website which had nothing about POP, only IMAP. Spectrum recently bought Brighthouse (the company my friend had) and my friend said that more problems arose since then because they started changing things.

I had my friend setup a Yahoo account yesterday to then send the emails from Spectrum there and then I would setup a POP account with Yahoo instead. But of course, we'll have to wait until Spectrum fixes the stuck server issue.

Return to Thunderbird Support