MozillaZine

SOLVED: Anybody using Auto Correct in Tb v60.* ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Energise

Post Posted September 14th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Hi

Is anyone using AutoCorrect in Thunderbird v60.*?

I've tried for a long time now, on and off, to get the older version of AutoCorrect to work in my current version, having posted several years ago and receiving various suggestions regarding how to edit the code. Unfortunately, I've not been sucessful in doing this and so now asking if anyone could help me with the code. In addition, I don't particularly want it to stop working every time there is an update to Thunderbird, unless I can understand what I need to change in the code.

I really miss AutoCorrect. It was incredibly useful.

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me

Many thanks
Energise
Last edited by Energise on September 16th, 2019, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morat

Post Posted September 14th, 2019, 3:09 pm

I got mms Auto Correct somewhat working in Thunderbird 60, but the three buttons are permanently disabled in the options dialog, but I can add corrections directly to the autoCorrect.txt file.

More info: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3052770

I guess a normal user would have trouble manually installing the hacked extension even if I sent a link to it in a private message.

Edit:

Note to other users reading this thread...

The hacked extension doesn't work in Thunderbird 68.
Last edited by morat on September 19th, 2019, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JYLD

Post Posted September 14th, 2019, 4:00 pm

There are several windows macro programs that can do auto correct. Good news they will work with all versions of TB AND they will work with any other windows program you want it to work with.

I've used Macro Express for over 20 years with windows. I like it for its easier to use interface that doesn't require one to be a programmer to get up and going with the program.

Other programs that can do this, as far as I know, are AutoHotkey and AutoIt.

In Macro Express you would use what it calls the "shortkey" macros. You create a shortkey macro that is triggered by the misspelled word. The macro fires in the background and replaces the incorrectly spelled text with the correctly spelled text. I also use it for other things like having it replace "tsos" with "Texas Secretary Of State" for example.

Macro Express is not free but well worth the price if you use it frequently as I do. AutoHotkey is powerful and free, but has no gui interface for writing your macros. AutoIT is not free and has a gui interface I believe. I don't know if WinBatch has this kind of feature for which you are looking or not. It is also not free.

BuddhaNature

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 6:19 am

JYLD wrote:AutoIT is not free and has a gui interface I believe.

AutoIT is free. From the first sentence of the Home Page: "AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting." And, yes, it has a GUI interface.

I have used it myself on and off a bit for several years and find it really good. To easily get the most out out of AutoIT you need to also install the SciTE package that is also offered on the AutoIT download page, it helps a lot.

Above said, I agree Macro Express is easier to use and less hassle than AutoIT. Macro Express is really user friendly. AutoIT is more powerful than Macro Express but more difficult to get the hang of.

If you have actual code for Macro Express that does auto-correct in Thunderbird could you post it on up here? Or maybe put it in a DropBox or similar location for a while so that folks could download the script.

JYLD

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 10:18 am

BuddhaNature wrote: If you have actual code for Macro Express that does auto-correct in Thunderbird could you post it on up here?

That's not really how it works in Macro Express. In Macro Express you would create a single "shortkey macro" for each auto correct item. The macro itself contains a single "text type" line that contains the replacement text that replaces the typed text. The macro is then set to trigger upon seeing the text entered (in this case a misspelled word). You select certain dialog box settings for the macro like "replace the text trigger" rather than "add to the text trigger". You can also limit the macro to run only in TB or only in TB plus some other apps/windows or in ALL apps and windows. For an auto correct shortkey macro you would select to have the macro trigger after it sees the text PLUS a trailing special character. The trailing special character would be a "space" and/or a "period" and/or other punctuation characters. So for example you want "cant" to be replaced with "can't". When you type cant and hit "space" the macro will fire. But if you type "canton" the macro will NOT fire because cant wasn't followed by a "space" or other punctuation character.

The time consuming part would be creating each separate shortkey macro for each auto correct entry. Creating a list of 50 shortkey macros for 50 auto correct items might take 30 minutes tops. Once you create the first macro and have it working with proper settings, then you can create the rest by copying the first macro, changing its name, replacing the trigger string and replacing the replacement string.

All macros are contained in the macro express program that sits in your tray waiting for a macro trigger to happen. Macro triggers can be many many things other than the entry of text, but shortkey macros are triggered by a text string. Shortkey macros can also be used to replace a few characters with long strings of boiler plate text. For example "tsos" is replaced with "Texas Secretary Of State" and "ocga" is replaced with "O.C.G.A ยง " on my computer.

BuddhaNature

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 11:11 am

Thanks for the explanation, JYLD. It's been many years since I last used Macro Express.

JYLD

Post Posted September 15th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Thanks. I use macro express all the time. It runs any time my computer is on.

I've used it since Windows 98 and Windows 2000. Over 20 years. I have MANY macros I've written over the years, and yet there are many things that Macro Express can do that I haven't had a need for (yet). For example, Macro Express can do advanced string and date handling and mass emailing kind of jobs with logic and text selection based upon various criteria, etc. It has the ability to send smtp mail messages directly from Macro Express. So it can process a text file of recipients and other criteria to create mail messages and send them all in one loop through the text file. That kind of thing, and a lot more.

Energise

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 6:50 am

I apologise for delay in responding to the above posts. I wrote a reply on Saturday (2 days ago), didn't get opportunity to check back until last night and realised my post wasn't here. I must have forgotten to hit 'Submit', perhaps - easily done, especially by myself

So, I'll try to remember what I had written ...

First of all I'd like to thanl both morat and JYLD for their useful posts. I've not heard of any of the other Auto correct programs so useful to hear about them. At the moment, I'd prefer to get AutoCorrect for Tb working and then, maybe in the near future, might try one or two of the other suggestions.

So, morat, might I ask you for more help, please? I checked your links (one of which was started by myself) Thanks, and I've re-read your instructions

I've edited the files as suggested in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3044115, 8th post (morat) timed 1 Dec 2018: 02.30am (UK time settings) ie edit install.rdf and autocorrect.js

After restarting Thunderbird, I've tried out Autocorrect but it brings up window, saying "The autocorrect file could ot be loaded, check the JavaScript Console for reason(s)"

Would you, morat, or another, please help me with this? I'll be so grateful
Many thanks

morat

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 7:03 am

@Energise

I sent a link to the hacked extension in a private message.

Energise

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 7:12 am

Many thanks morat
I've just received PM
I'm now going to see if I have more luck with your file ;)
Finger crossed / say a prayer ...

Energise

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 12:55 pm

@morat

Many many thanks.
Your patience and perseverance has paid off ;)
AutoCorrect is now working in v60.9.0 =D> \:D/

You've been amazingly patient with me and for that I'm extremely grateful.

I've added a new 'autocorrect' and even that works too :lol:

It would seem the reason I had difficulty with manually installing was that I used 'Extract to ...' in 7-Zip instead of 'Extract Here' in addition to not uninstalling the old version before starting.

So, all is very good now and I'm extremely grateful for all the help I've had.

@JYLD and @BuddhaNature
I haven't discarded your suggestions. I'll look into Macro Express and any other Windows autocorrect-type options, including AutoIT and AutoHotkey, to see if they would also be useful, especially if they work in other Windows programs, so many thanks for these sugestions. If I like any of them and need help with them, I'll start a new thread, of course, and tag both of you, if I may ;)

Again, many thanks. All your help is very much appreciated :)

morat

Post Posted September 16th, 2019, 4:21 pm

You're welcome.

Return to Thunderbird Support