MozillaZine

SOLVED: Rebuilding Global Database fails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
martinr

Post Posted September 12th, 2019, 11:35 am

I ran into problems with Global Search. I couldn't get to the messages it finds following the hyperlink. When I attach an attachment found with global search to a new email then completely different content would be added under the same attachment name.

After reading up I concluded that "global-messages-db.sqlite" should be corrupt. I followed the step here, here and here to recreate global-messages-db.sqlite (deleted the index database and watch the activity windows to reindex everything).

But now I'm stuck.

After deleting "global-messages-db.sqlite" and restarting TB in off-line mode, it gets stuck on:
activity_manager_progress_hanging: Image

The new "global-messages-db.sqlite" size doesn't change (after 6 hours of rebuilding still no change) at 1.245.184 bytes and search doesn't work.

I'm running TB version 60.9.0 (32-bit) on a Win7 64bit platform.

I have 7 mail accounts 3 of them IMAP, and an extensive email archive and rely heavily on global search.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?
Last edited by martinr on September 17th, 2019, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

martinr

Post Posted September 12th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Update: after restarting and going on-line, indexing seems to carry on. So contrary to the advice given, TB needs to be on-line in order to index IMAP folders (even when downloaded for off-line use).

martinr

Post Posted September 12th, 2019, 2:34 pm

After some hours of rebuilding and steady progess in activity manager: Succes!

martinr

Post Posted September 12th, 2019, 2:35 pm

[duplicate message deleted]
Last edited by martinr on September 17th, 2019, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

wsmwk

Post Posted September 12th, 2019, 2:42 pm

IIRC "working offline" is interpreted by Gloda as a being "on battery" even if the message has been downloaded, and thus indexing quiesces.

martinr

Post Posted September 17th, 2019, 3:53 am

Gloda has been rebuild and seems to work again. I think it got scrambled in the major update that invalidated a lot of extensions.

Thanks wsmwk, that explains the behavior. It is not what I expected in offline mode. Offline mode was recommended in order not to confuse the rebuilding process of the Gloda DB with newly incoming emails.

I hope other people can find this thread helpful.

Return to Thunderbird Support