MozillaZine

Why upgrade from TB 60.8.0 to TB 68.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JYLD

Post Posted July 20th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Why upgrade when TB 60.8.0 works so well and with all my add-ons and extensions?

I don't plan on upgrading past my Windows 7 in January, 2020 either. Why do I need to upgrade TB beyond 60.8.0?

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 20th, 2019, 7:17 pm

The party line is that you are supposed to always upgrade Thunderbird in order to get security fixes. However, in practice those security fixes are for potential bugs that are easily avoidable if you are careful on what attachments you open and don't try to use Thunderbird as a browser. Even the security advisories state: "In general, these flaws cannot be exploited through email in the Thunderbird product because scripting is disabled when reading mail, but are potentially risks in browser or browser-like contexts."

However, the add-on API is drastically changing. Starting with version 68 many legacy add-ons won't work and you will need to use webextension API based add-ons. Its going to be very awkward for a while but eventually it will get better because they will have paid off a lot of technical debt. Its really a question of are you interested in any of the improvements planned (for both Thunderbird and successors to whatever add-ons you are using) and bug fixes. Its taken them a while to ramp up their development staff and fill positions such as a UX lead but it will eventually show results.

Would you have been happy sticking with version 2.0.0.24 (last minor release before the major architectural changes with version 3)? Its the same issue, just a different timeframe. I think a better strategy is to delay upgrading until things have settled down and some of the benefits start appearing. Then upgrade.

If you want to discuss the merits of not upgrading past windows 7 please create a new thread in the MozillaZine Tech forum.

JYLD

Post Posted July 20th, 2019, 7:56 pm

tanstaafl wrote:I think a better strategy is to delay upgrading until things have settled down and some of the benefits start appearing. Then upgrade.

I agree. I'll wait to see if I really need the TB upgrade and also wait to see when and if my must have add-ons work or have a working replacement add-on available.

tanstaafl wrote:If you want to discuss the merits of not upgrading past windows 7 please create a new thread in the MozillaZine Tech forum.

No I don't need that. I'm too old (really old) and stuck in my ways to worry about learning another new Microsoft Operating System.

Thanks!

WaltS48

Post Posted July 21st, 2019, 7:09 am

JYLD wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:I think a better strategy is to delay upgrading until things have settled down and some of the benefits start appearing. Then upgrade.

I agree. I'll wait to see if I really need the TB upgrade and also wait to see when and if my must have add-ons work or have a working replacement add-on available.

Thanks!

Here is a preview.

68 Beta Release Notes
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Return to Thunderbird Support