MozillaZine

How to save IMAP emails locally?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
burris

Post Posted July 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm

If I'm able to copy all my imap email into a local folder, how do I export them to my new pop3 folder after I have deleted the imap, or do I do this before deleting the imap.
This is a new process for me.

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 18th, 2019, 4:09 am

Better to add the IMAP account before doing anything to the POP account. Then copy messages from the POP folders to the new IMAP folders. Only after all old messages are available in the new IMAP account should you remove the POP account from Thunderbird.

burris

Post Posted July 18th, 2019, 5:31 am

I was saying that originally I allowed Thunderbird to install the gmail imap version. I really wanted pop3.
So since I am still on imap, should I copy all the folders and messages somewhere before deleting the imap account and reinstalling a pop3 account so I can have all my previous mail?

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 18th, 2019, 6:58 am

Whoa! Slow down. What do you mean by "have all my previous mail?" Where would look for that to be coming from? Did you previously have a POP account before the Gmail IMAP? Did you remove that POP account before adding the IMAP?

burris

Post Posted July 18th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Right now I have an imap account with all my emails. The problems posted exist on that account, including smtp not working and won't accept my password.
I probably messed up and switched my working gmail pop to imap. Don't remember how.
I mentioned that on my android and pc web site, it all works well.
I always leave email on the server.
Is it possible for me to copy or move the existing emal and folders from the imap account and then uninstall the imap account that is screwed up and set up a new pop account
One of the problems I am having is that I cannot get the smtp to work. I have tried every iteration but no luck.
Each time I try to send mail to my gmail account from my bellsouth account, it asks me to verify...sends a message to my cell and then I say OK and another window pops up saying not authorized.

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 19th, 2019, 4:36 am

Whether IMAP or POP has little or nothing to do with being able to send message via SMTP. You would most likely have that same authentication problem if you switched to IMAP access.
You would add to this current problem the issue that with a POP account, Thunderbird can access only the server's inbox folder. Messages currently in other IMAP folders could be moved to sub-folders of Local Folders (a structure appearing in Thunderbird below the active accounts in the left hand pane of the main window) to make them accessible with a POP account. However, any messages moved to those IMAP folders with a phone or web mail after switching to POP would not become accessible to Thunderbird.
Check the settings of that BellSouth account via browser and switch OFF two part authentication -- https://about.att.com/pages/cyberaware/ni/blog/2fa

burris

Post Posted July 19th, 2019, 5:38 am

Thanks for your help..and patience

I am so confused, I may have not summarized my problem correctly.

On both my android and PC...the gmail service works well both in and out. I can also add gmail to my 3rd party email program on my phone No problems.
Only on Thunderbird am I experiencing these problems.
If I were to uninstall the gmail account on Thunderbird, what would happen. Could I then reinstall gmail as a pop account and would any previous mail or folders be available?

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Could I then reinstall gmail as a pop account[/quote[
Yes.

...would any previous mail or folders be available?

No.

You can't compare the functionality of that account through the web mail interface and through Thunderbird. For one thing, the web mail access doesn't involve the use of an SMTP server.

Return to Thunderbird Support