MozillaZine

Need help with accessing my POP Gmail with TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fdm2000

Post Posted July 13th, 2019, 8:35 am

I am running Windows 7 Pro with the latest version of Thunderbird accessing my primary email via Comcast's mail.com server. Last year I set up access to my Gmail via POP using Thunderbird. Recently a security issue with Google required changing my Google accounts password. Now when I try to access my Gmail inbox a pop up asks for my password. When I enter the last created password for Gmail (found in Security_Passwords) it fails. Does the changed Google account password somehow affect the Gmail account? Tried entering the current Google password and it too is rejected.
Could some member suggest a way to resolve this problem.
Mary

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 13th, 2019, 9:46 am

Unless you are using two step verification (which requires you to create a app password for Thunderbird since it doesn't support that feature) your google and gmail password should be the same. Verify that by logging into gmail webmail using a browser.

Try deleting all gmail passwords in Thunderbrid (tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords), exiting Thunderbird (since the deleted passwords are still in memory), and restarting Thunderbird . See if that helps.

fdm2000

Post Posted July 13th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions tanstaafl - I do not have two step verification and the password I use to successfully open my Google account for some odd reason is not accepted when I try to access my Gmail inbox in TB. Will try deleting the Gmail password and exiting TB and restarting as you suggested. Will let you know result.

Mary

fdm2000

Post Posted July 14th, 2019, 9:44 am

I deleted the one Gmail password that was found in tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords which was created in January 2019 - it differs from the password currently used to access my Google accounts. I restarted TB. Tried to open Gmail inbox and got the password not accepted - tried entering both my Google account password and the one listed for the Gmail password created back in Jan 2019 and neither worked. I went back to tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords and there is no entry for a Gmail login password - even the old one listed before the deletion.

I am however still able to access my Gmail messages by logging into Gmail web mail using my FireFox browser. Wondering if/how I can create/link the current functional Google password to my Gmail account in TB?

garyccurtin

Post Posted July 14th, 2019, 11:53 am

Did you perhaps turn off less secure apps in your Google settings? As far as I know, GMail needs that enabled to access the account by POP3.

fdm2000

Post Posted July 15th, 2019, 9:30 am

Don't know how it was configured - will check. Thanks again.

fdm2000

Post Posted July 18th, 2019, 9:36 am

Thanks to all the responders for their assistance. The problem was with Google - seems they require that Gmail be enabled to use TB. Once I did my Google password finally worked and I can now open Gmail in TB.

Return to Thunderbird Support