MozillaZine

Security problems

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
walkerpbus

Post Posted January 23rd, 2019, 7:56 pm

New installation on a new computer: I have to reestablish passwords with the aid of my cellphone if I have left the scene in my home. How can I make permanent changes in Options?
Win 10 Pro on my new Dell Optiplex System 10 desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on all machines. Would like soon to buy a new laptop if my finances permit.

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 24th, 2019, 5:22 am

You don't need to make any changes through Tools->Options. The check box to save the entered passwords for automatic entry is included in the dialogue box in which the user enters the password when requested.

walkerpbus

Post Posted January 24th, 2019, 1:44 pm

DanRaisch wrote:You don't need to make any changes through Tools->Options. The check box to save the entered passwords for automatic entry is included in the dialogue box in which the user enters the password when requested.

No, didn't happen that way, I have no assurance, There was no check box.
I closed Thunderbird &reopened it and had to start a new password & I saw no check box> Furthermore the new password was not in the options box.It was Google/gmail doing this
Win 10 Pro on my new Dell Optiplex System 10 desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on all machines. Would like soon to buy a new laptop if my finances permit.

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 24th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Furthermore the new password was not in the options box.It was Google/gmail doing this

I don't understand what "options box" that refers to. Do you mean the display of stored passwords under menu path Tools->Options->Security->Saved Passwords?
What do you have selected for that account under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)-Connection Security?

walkerpbus

Post Posted January 24th, 2019, 3:13 pm

DanRaisch wrote:
Furthermore the new password was not in the options box.It was Google/gmail doing this

I don't understand what "options box" that refers to. Do you mean the display of stored passwords under menu path Tools->Options->Security->Saved Passwords?
What do you have selected for that account under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)-Connection Security?

Right on, sir. & I'm having a terrible time with Thunderbird & no permanence of passwords. I haven;t seen the check box you described.

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 24th, 2019, 4:04 pm

The check box I'm referring to is in the password entry dialogue box, displayed when an account requests that you provide a password to access that account. See the red arrow in the image below.

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 24th, 2019, 5:37 pm

See "No checkbox to remember passwords" in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_not_ ... hunderbird if the prompt for a password doesn't have a checkbox.

"Furthermore the new password was not in the options box.It was Google/gmail doing this"

Is the authentication method in the gmail server settings set to "normal password" or OAuth2? If the latter you'll see a string of gibberish instead due to it storing a token.

walkerpbus

Post Posted January 26th, 2019, 1:38 pm

tanstaafl wrote:See "No checkbox to remember passwords" in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_not_ ... hunderbird if the prompt for a password doesn't have a checkbox.

"Furthermore the new password was not in the options box.It was Google/gmail doing this"

Is the authentication method in the Gmail server settings set to "normal password" or OAuth2? If the latter you'll see a string of gibberish instead due to it storing a token.

!. where do I set the Gmail setting? 2. I printed out al long instruction to change the prefs.js but I can't find it

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 26th, 2019, 1:56 pm

The easiest way to change signon.rememberSignons to true is to use tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> config editor. Enter signon in the search field and scroll down until you see signon.rememberSignons . If it is set to false (it should be bolded) right click on it and select reset from the context menu. That will reset it to the default value of true. If it is already set to true no need to do anything, something else is causing the problem.

If signon.rememberSignons is already true its not clear that changing the authentication method will help. However, there are usually less problems using OAuth2.

tools -> account settings -> gmail -> server settings -> authentication method lets you switch between normal password and OAuth2.

walkerpbus

Post Posted January 31st, 2019, 12:26 pm

tanstaafl wrote:The easiest way to change signon.rememberSignons to true is to use tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> config editor. Enter signon in the search field and scroll down until you see signon.rememberSignons . If it is set to false (it should be bolded) right click on it and select reset from the context menu. That will reset it to the default value of true. If it is already set to true no need to do anything, something else is causing the problem.

If signon.rememberSignons is already true its not clear that changing the authentication method will help. However, there are usually less problems using OAuth2.

tools -> account settings -> gmail -> server settings -> authentication method lets you switch between normal password and OAuth2.

Thanks but it just asked me for a new password & that failed. I've been several days trying to fix this

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 31st, 2019, 12:36 pm

So you're now prompted for the password, and see the checkbox, but the password is rejected. What is the error message you get?

Are you configured for normal password or OAuth2 as the authentication method?

Did you enable two step verification for Gmail? If you do that you need to use a app specific password with Thunderbird.

Is Thunderbird still working on your old computer?

walkerpbus

Post Posted January 31st, 2019, 1:52 pm

tanstaafl wrote:So you're now prompted for the password, and see the checkbox, but the password is rejected. What is the error message you get?

Are you configured for normal password or OAuth2 as the authentication method?

Did you enable two step verification for Gmail? If you do that you need to use a app specific password with Thunderbird.

Is Thunderbird still working on your old computer?
The hard disk for the old computer is available.

I wish I could copy the options for you. There are 2 oauth lines, not oauth2 the value is unintelligible. 1 is for my wife's 1 is for me
There's 2 for my wife's account: smtp and imap passwords are readable.
1 line for me:L chrome/gcontactsync
Do you know of any skilled in the Dallas/Ft Worth area who are skilled?

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 31st, 2019, 3:19 pm

I suggest you copy & paste JUST the "Mail and News Accounts: section from help -> troubleshooting information . The rest of the sections aren't needed. You could paste the contents of the clipboard into Notepad, edit it to remove the unwanted portions, select the remaining text and then paste that into a post.

For comparison, here is the same information from my PC (I limited it to just the first three accounts to make it easier for you to spot the gmail account)

Mail and News Accounts
account1:
INCOMING: account1, , (imap) mail.messagingengine.com:993, SSL, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , mail.messagingengine.com:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true

account2:
INCOMING: account2, , (none) Local Folders, plain, passwordCleartext

account3:
INCOMING: account3, , (imap) imap.gmail.com:993, SSL, OAuth2
OUTGOING: , smtp.gmail.com:465, SSL, OAuth2, true

SSL is actually "SSL/TLS" connection security. passwordCleartext is actually "normal password" authentication. The number after the mail server name is the port number.

walkerpbus

Post Posted January 31st, 2019, 6:30 pm

Thanks, sir: How do I get to mail and news accounts as you have shown?. I've been working in options saved passwords. is your incoming & other tags still in the stuff I copy AND WHERE DO i COPY IT. Mind you I'm not getting the latest email in Thunderbird: it keeps asking me for passwords

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 31st, 2019, 7:24 pm

Its available in "help -> troubleshooting information". Press the "copy text to clipboard" button. Then paste whats in the clipboard to an editor such as Notepad .....

Return to Thunderbird Support