MozillaZine

Get new msg when computer is inactive

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Tely

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 2:56 pm

I have a two part question, and would appreciate all input. I currently have:

TB version 52.7.0 (32-bit)
Gmail POP (Auto download new msg checked, Check for new msg every 5 min.)
Windows 10
Power options
Sleep, hydrib sleep, hibernate all off/never
Turn off hard disk after 9999999 minutes (just to be safe)
Wired internet connection

Q1: Is it possible to set TB to grab new message as soon as it arrives Gmail?
Q2: What other settings should I have to make sure TB continues to get new messages when computer is inactive? I leave the computer on 24/7 and rarely use it other than let TB get emails.

My (weird) situation makes it necessary that TB gets every email before it "disappears" in Gmail. It's a long story, and I shouldn't bore you with the details...

tanstaafl

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 3:19 pm

A1. Yes, but that requires using a IMAP account. A POP account is limited to checking for new mail every X minutes. A IMAP account can use the "allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive" feature. That uses the IMAP IDLE command to have the server tell the email client when a new message is available, rather than waiting for the email client to poll for new mail. Its not literally immediate, but its usually only about a one or two second delay.

A2. If you are worried about messages disappearing I suggest you use a message filter to automatically copy new mail to the inbox folder in "Local Folders".

If by inactive you mean the PC is asleep or hibernating Thunderbird (or any email client that I'm aware of) won't fetch or check for new mail then as its process is suspended. You could use the windows task scheduler to automatically launch Thunderbird when the PC is sleeping . One caveat is that normally won't work if Thunderbird is already running. A simpler solution would be to change the windows power management settings to let it turn off the display and stop the hard disk after X minutes of inactivity, but never to let the PC go to sleep or disable power to the network interface card.

tanstaafl

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Tely wrote:My (weird) situation makes it necessary that TB gets every email before it "disappears" in Gmail. It's a long story, and I shouldn't bore you with the details...

I don't mind. Tell me the long boring story and perhaps we can find a way to prevent your messages from disappearing.

Tely

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Thank you so very much for your help!!

tanstaafl wrote:...change the windows power management settings to let it turn off the display and stop the hard disk after X minutes of inactivity, but never to let the PC go to sleep or disable power to the network interface card.

I've turned off everything I know: sleep, hybrid sleep, and hibernate.
For stop the hard disk after X mininutes, the best I could do is set to 9999999 minutes. Haven't found an option to disable it completely.
Does turn off display need to be disabled? Can I disable it and just turn off the monitor? When TB is running can I go back and stay in the lock screen?

tanstaafl wrote:I don't mind. Tell me the long boring story and perhaps we can find a way to prevent your messages from disappearing.

Long story (as short as possible):
Everyone in the office has access to this email account. Someone seems to be deleting both old and new emails occasionally (intentionally or not, I don't know and probably don't want to know). It's important that we keep all emails for at least a year because we often have to go back to them for various reasons. It's impossible to prevent people in the office from doing what they do. So, I'm hoping to learn how to utilize TB to minimize the problem. While I'm not very computer savvy, I'm even worse at confrontations.

Again, thank you! I really appreciate your help. I will look into setting up IMAP instead of POP.

Return to Thunderbird Support