MozillaZine

inbox messages - newer now unreadable TB 3.1.20

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
eager to learn

Post Posted May 17th, 2015, 10:02 am

Hi there,

I've had no problems opening and readin my new messages in my inbox - until today.

Every e-mail from yesterday and today when I open each there's nothing but blank space.

I've tried e-mails from trusted friends as well as digests of messages but there's noting in any of them.

I didn't knowingly change any setting but could some view setting have been changed inadvertently?

Thank you so much.

eager to learn

Post Posted May 17th, 2015, 10:44 am

Hi,

I'm not sure how one adds to their prior message but I wanted to add that I can open messages form a week ago and read them and even one which just arrived 5 minutes ago but when I try to read any message from yesterday or earlier today and I click it to open it just shows the subject of the last e-mail I was able to open, not the subject or message o body of the message I'm trying to open.

It's as if it gets stuck on the last message I could open.

My apologies I just noticed the Edit button.

Also, when I have hit the Get Mail button there would appear on screen a message stating "Getting Mail...downloading 4 messages." Now it does not do that.

I also notice that when I right click on the Inbox and in the drop down menu I used to choose Compact and then there would appear a progress bar along the bottom on the scrren showing that it was compacting the e-mails in the Inbox. It does not do that today. I can't seem to compact my Inbox.

Thank you for troubleshooting with me.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 17th, 2015, 12:10 pm

First backup your profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile Folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder ). Find the files with the extension msf, such as Inbox.msf. Note that there will be sets of two files with the name but only one of these will have the MSF extension. Delete the files with the MSF extension. Restart Thunderbird, compact all folders, and see if things are back to normal. Note that the MSF files do NOT contain your messages. They are, for lack of a better term, an index file and will be recreated by Thunderbird as required.

If this procedure provides no improvement, see this link -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recover_messa ... upt_folder

Also see this URL - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29

eager to learn

Post Posted May 17th, 2015, 4:12 pm

I copied my Profile folder over to a flash drive and then deleted every file with an .msf ending but now all my Inbox messages from 2014 and 2015, including ones I have not read yet for the past 2 weeks, are now all gone.

It saved the FF message from today but that's about it for 2014 and 2015.

Do I drag my Profile folder from my flash drive back to the PC hard drive (XP Pro) to reclaim those missing Inbox messages?

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 17th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Copy them back from the flash drive but be prepared to find that you still have some sort of problem. If removing the .msf files from the profile results in loss of messages it means that the actual message files, those with no file name extension at all, probably have some level of file corruption.

eager to learn

Post Posted May 18th, 2015, 9:04 am

TB is not cooperating.

First, I have a check mark next to Notify me when a reply is posted on the TB forum but it never did send me a notice or TB did not accept the notice if it did send.

I then copied the following .msf files from the flash drive:
Archives
Drafts2
Drafts
Inbox
Sent
Templates
Trash

I then reopened TB but my Inbox messages before Sunday 5/17 are all still missing.

I then re0booted the PC and reopened TB and those Inbox messages are still missing.

How can I retrieve those messages?

Also, I was told when I first started using TB to compact my Inbox *every* night before I shut the PC down. That action truly deletes the messages I have hit Delete or Shift/Delete on.

It was further advised it would free up hard drive space as well and keep TB running better.

Someone recently mentioned that compacting your Inbox can be dangerous and you should *not* compact it daily.

Should my Inbox be compacted daily before I turn the PC off for the night?

What corrupted these e-mails that I can't read now? How did that happen? How can I prevent this from reoccurring?

Thank you so much.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 18th, 2015, 9:56 am

Don't just copy back the .msf files. Copy back the message files from the backup as well.
Compacting is NOT dangerous and should help prevent data loss. Just be sure that you don't shut off the computer or close Thunderbird before compacting is completed.
How often compacting should be done depends on the volume of messages being received and then deleted or moved out of the inbox. If 2 messages are received per day, it might be reasonable to compact once every week or so. If 100 messages are received per day, particularly if many of those messages have attachments, compacting every day would probably be wise.

As to what specifically causes message files to become corrupted it's hard to say. Shutting off the computer with Thunderbird running can cause that. Hardware problems can cause that. Storing too many messages in the inbox folder and not compacting after deleting or moving many messages, may cause that.

eager to learn

Post Posted May 18th, 2015, 10:44 am

So, are you suggesting I copy back Inbox, Sent, etc as well as Inbox.msf, Sent.msf?

I just want to be clear in my mind about that.

Also, so I don't lose my Inbox and Sent messages for the past 2 days should I first rename either my current Inbox and Sent box on the hard rive to, say, Inbox 1 or Inbox 51802015 or would I rename the old Inbox migrating from the flash drive and change that file name to Inbox 1 or Inbox 51802015?

Thank you!
Last edited by eager to learn on May 18th, 2015, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 18th, 2015, 11:00 am

Yes, the files Inbox, Sent, Trash, etc are message files while the files Inbox.msf, Sent.msf, Trash.msf, etc are only index files.

eager to learn

Post Posted May 18th, 2015, 11:30 am

so I don't lose my Inbox and Sent messages for the past 2 days should I first rename either my current Inbox and Sent box on the hard rive to, say, Inbox 1 or Inbox 51802015 or would I rename the old Inbox migrating from the flash drive and change that file name to Inbox 1 or Inbox 51802015?

Thank you!

eager to learn

Post Posted May 18th, 2015, 12:31 pm

I was just thinking that maybe to avoid a large Inbox file from becoming corrupted I could break my Inbox messages up by month?

How would I do that exactly so the TB gods don't get upset?

Ex. Say I wanted to save all my Inbox messages for May 2015? Can I just create and name a new folder under my Inbox folder (as a sub-folder) and name it Inbox-May2015? Do I also need to drag over the file Inbox.msf to that new folder, now named Inbox-May2015, so those messages can be found and read in TB? Would I have to re-name that file as Inbox-May2015.msf?

Thank you so much.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 19th, 2015, 4:58 am

You can rename either file with whatever name suits your purposes. Alternatively, you can try importing data from the backup files using the information in this article. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

Don't worry about archiving .msf files. Remember their just index files and Thunderbird will recreate them as necessary if it doesn't find them when you access an associated folder. An archive folder doesn't have to be under the folder in which the messages originated. You could put all archive folders under the Inbox, or under Local Folders, or just under an Archive folder at the same level in the hierarchy as the Inbox. See this article in regard to archiving -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail

eager to learn

Post Posted May 19th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Actually, I'm concerned with having 2 folders named Inbox in my TB.

I have an Inbox currently with my messages for the past 3+ days - they only have messages for the past 3+ days + from 2012.

On my flash drive there will be an inbox with messages from 2012, 2013, 2014 and for all of 2015. I won't want to lose the messages for the past 3-5 months in that inbox folder (on the flash drive) but if I just drag them over to the hard drive won't the conflict with the current Inbox?

I don't want to lose my current Inbox messages either.

So, how do I ensure I don't lose my Inbox messages from my Inbox folder on the flash drive but also don't lose any messages in my Inbox currently on the hard drive?

Thank you.

eager to learn

Post Posted May 19th, 2015, 6:50 pm

There's also the issue that if someone posts a response on this forums to my post it no longer sends me an e-mail that there is a new post like it used to.

I have the check-mark next to Send Me an E-Mail if someone on posts but it doesn't.

Also, when I would hit Get Mail it would show how many messages neede to be downloaded and then would count them off as they downloaded.

That hasn't happened in days.

How do I get TB back to the normal functions it used to do?

Thanks.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 19th, 2015, 7:36 pm

If you import data as I suggested above it will not require you to rename any files. If you want to try copying in any of the backup copies of the message files, change their name before copying them over. Rename the file Inbox in the backup to InboxOld or something like that.

Resolving the problems with your message files will probably resolve the lack of new message notice in Thunderbird.

The problem with the forum not issuing emails when replies are posted has been noted and we hope it will be addressed by the administrator soon.

Return to Thunderbird Support