MozillaZine

no email - Time Warner Roadrunner

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
10SinNC

Post Posted October 1st, 2009, 11:37 am

I too am having the same problem!! nc.rr.com
I called Road Runner and they told me the problem was with Mozilla (yeah, right!!)
I can send email through webmail but not through Mozilla

It is now up and working; ISP's like to play hot potato!
I wish they would own up so I don't pull my hair waiting for "it" to work again!

Are you all working again?

Daledoc1

Post Posted October 1st, 2009, 1:48 pm

Update: after changing user name in SMTP server field to the entire email address (username@tx.rr.com) it DOES seem to be working now for both the TWC/RR and gmail accounts.

Clearly this WAS a system issue for TWC/RR (the tech did 'fess up to this indirectly). <Scowl!>

It was a "first" for me that TWC/RR tech support went the extra mile to investigate, troubleshoot, isolate the issue, recreate the issue, and propose what seems to be a legitimate "fix". He even posted here to the forum with the solution although I confess his instructions could have been a bit clearer for the less savvy users...
However, he also both called me back when he had the "fix" and emailed me to check to see if it worked.
(Yes, I had called directly to Tier 3 when this happened, as I already knew that Tier 1 would be worse than useless.)

It did help that I was able to send him both screen shots of the error messages, AND links to both this forum and the SMTP-ERROR page.
I'm sure we'd all be tearing out our hair even now, had I not been able to provide credible evidence of the cause of the problem.

SO, A BIG THANKS to MozillaZine, esp Dan! <applause>

See ya,

Daledoc in TX
DT x 2: Win7 Ult/64 SP1; Fx 38.0.1 TB 31.6.0; KIS; MBAM; MBAE; SAS; MailwasherPro; CCleaner; Cable HSI w/router.
LT: Win7 Pro/64 SP1; Fx 38.0.1; TB 31.6.0; Sophos; MBAM; MBAE; SAS; MailwasherPro; CCleaner; Juniper VPN; WLAN.

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 1st, 2009, 2:16 pm

I think Daifne contributed a lot more to this thread than I did, but you're welcome just the same. :)

lbr

Post Posted October 1st, 2009, 8:46 pm

Hi,

I started having this problem last night and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Time Warner support. I tried searching the Internet and checked this site, but didn't find anything until this evening when I found this thread.

I called once and got disconnected after 15 minutes of working with someone. I called back and got nowhere with the next person, who of course said something was wrong with the software on my computer, after having me reboot, disable my virus checker and firewall, yada yada yada. I'm a network software engineer so it makes me crazy when they do this, when I already know they've got an issue, but in order to get anywhere I know I have to humor them.

The first person actually called me back later to tell me they had received updated information from Mozilla and that Mozilla had a problem and that the workaround was to disable the Security and Authentication for my Outgoing Server settings in Thunderbird. I did this and it worked. I had already tried putting in my full e-mail address including domain name and that didn't work. It does work now, and so does my original setting. They must have been buried in calls today and undid whatever they implemented yesterday. I hadn't changed my Thunderbird configuration in over a year and last updated to the latest version over a month ago. Clearly Roadrunner made a change to their SMTP server and their support people knew nothing about it. It would be nice to know what really happened, but I doubt we ever will.

Lisa

Post Posted October 6th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Have not been able to access emails at all today. rr.com still shows "server maintenance". Seriously... an ENTIRE DAY?!?! I have been unable to apply for any jobs today because of this. Completely unacceptable and they should start paying ME for all of the problems I have to deal with.

Daifne

Post Posted October 6th, 2009, 7:57 pm

That has nothing to do with what's being discussed in this topic or in this forum. You seem to be accessing RR with your browser, not an email program. Any problems you have with RR and their maintenance schedule needs to be discussed with them.
“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.” ― Harlan Ellison
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Post Posted October 17th, 2009, 4:21 pm

my outbound email stopped working as of 10/10. we just fixed it by changing the SMTP port from 25 to 587. roadrunner has also changed the name of the POP3 and SMTP server.go to your loca TW web and look for Mail server names.

Bobowen

Post Posted October 27th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:my outbound email stopped working as of 10/10. we just fixed it by changing the SMTP port from 25 to 587. roadrunner has also changed the name of the POP3 and SMTP server.go to your loca TW web and look for Mail server names.
I have checked with roadrunner, and all setting seem to be OK. The server names have not been changed. This problem just started today. I tried changeing the SMTP port frp, 25 to 587, but still didn't work

ES2

Post Posted October 27th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Looks like lots of people with the same problem. I'm going to try sending from another machine w/ Outlook. This is getting really old.

ES2

Post Posted October 27th, 2009, 7:11 pm

From TB, today I am also frequently seeing the error message "The mail server sent an incorrect message. Service not available." Hm....so a server problem?

ES2

Post Posted October 27th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Sorry...that should have said, "The mail server sent an incorrect greeting. Service not available.

ES2

Post Posted October 27th, 2009, 7:37 pm

OK. Just tried from Outlook, and the first message zipped right out instantaneously. 2nd gave me an error message saying it couldn't connect. Closed Outlook, fired it back up, and sent out another note. Zipped right out. Sent another...error message. I gave up after that, so I don't know if that pattern would keep repeating, or not.

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 27th, 2009, 8:09 pm

That sounds like RR is having intermittent server problems.

ES2

Post Posted October 28th, 2009, 6:05 am

This morning, outgoing mail zipped right out with TB, so yes - I think it was a server problem. Thanks Dan.

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 28th, 2009, 10:45 am

You're welcome.

Return to Thunderbird Support