MozillaZine

New Install of Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
croths

Post Posted February 17th, 2019, 11:48 am

I have a new laptop and I've been installing Thunderbird and Firefox on it.
The transfer of mail went ok but now, as I go to add a theme, I notice I do not have the 'three horizontal lines' icon in the top right corner to reach the menu to do this. Any ideas please? Thank you.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 17th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Normally you would use the gear like icon in tools -> add-ons -> Extensions (or Themes) to "install an add-on from a file" which you can reach either via the menu bar or via Add-ons in the hamburger like button at the extreme right of the main window. The gear like icon has moved from the right side to the left side of the tool -> add-ons window.

I don't know why the hamburger button (three horizontal lines) would disappear, but you can press the ALT key to temporarily enable the menu bar, and then use view -> toolbars to permanently enable it. Any possibility you are using a theme that hides it? I'm using a persona/light weight theme that makes the hamburger button almost invisible, you really have to know where to find it.

croths

Post Posted February 17th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Thank you so much for pointing out the 'tools' alternative, I had looked through the menu but missed that. I don't mind where I go as long as I can get to the themes. It is weird though, I tried installing Thunderbird twice, both times no icon. I did not have a theme installed then, thank you once again.

Return to Thunderbird Support