MozillaZine

Receiving blank emails from only 1 customer

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
moe19

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 7:59 am

I have a customer in China and all of a sudden every email he sends me is blank. No text. No attachment. All I can read is the Subject line. I have the same problem on 2 separate computers both running Thunderbird. The 2 computers are in 2 separate locations. One at my home. One at my office. Same ISP. If I try viewing the email via my ISP's website, I can read the emails. I have made no changes to my Thunderbird software in either computer. He has no problem reading my emails that I send to him using Thunderbird. I do not have this problem with any other customer and he says he does not have any problems sending his emails to anyone else. Any ideas?

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 9:28 am

Have you tried menu path View->Message Body as->Plain text?
If you press Ctrl+U while viewing those blank messages, is there message content visible in the message source display?

moe19

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 10:02 am

DanRaisch wrote:Have you tried menu path View->Message Body as->Plain text?
If you press Ctrl+U while viewing those blank messages, is there message content visible in the message source display?

That didn't work. Ctrl+U brings up a lot of jibberish. I don't think there is any message content there. Any more thoughts?

makaiguy

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 11:02 am

If you click in the blank message area, then press Ctrl+a to highlight all the text, do you see anything?
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 52.9.0 ESR (64bit), TB 60.3.1 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 63.0.2 No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

moe19

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 12:22 pm

makaiguy wrote:If you click in the blank message area, then press Ctrl+a to highlight all the text, do you see anything?

Nope. Nothing

makaiguy

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 2:31 pm

moe19 wrote:
makaiguy wrote:If you click in the blank message area, then press Ctrl+a to highlight all the text, do you see anything?

Nope. Nothing

That eliminates the possibility that they were sent specifying a white color for the font, which would not show on a white background.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 52.9.0 ESR (64bit), TB 60.3.1 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 63.0.2 No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 3:24 pm

makaiguy wrote:If you click in the blank message area, then press Ctrl+a to highlight all the text...

...and then press Ctrl+C to copy and then paste that into a text editor, does anything appear?

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 12th, 2018, 5:26 am

You could install the show all body parts add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ts/?src=ss and then set view -> message body as -> all body parts. That might help if the reason why the message is blank is the author's email client made some minor error in the layout of the MIME body parts (the different pieces of the message body). Many email clients (and webmail) can ignore most of those types of errors, Thunderbird can't.

moe19

Post Posted October 12th, 2018, 10:54 am

DanRaisch wrote:
makaiguy wrote:If you click in the blank message area, then press Ctrl+a to highlight all the text...

...and then press Ctrl+C to copy and then paste that into a text editor, does anything appear?

Once again, nothing appears.

Return to Thunderbird Support