MozillaZine

Wrong password retries

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
aik_au

Post Posted August 14th, 2018, 6:11 pm

TB60, fedora27.

There is an old bug when TB cannot authenticate and asks for an updated password, however while this modal dialog is open, TB keeps trying the wrong password over and over again (updating IMAP folders?) which makes some IMAP servers block my account, indefinitely (go talk to the admin) or temporarily.

Is there a way to tell TB to stop trying a knowingly wrong password?

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 14th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Delete it in the Fedora equivalent of tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords, exit (since the deleted password is still in memory) and restart. Usually that bug occurs only if there was a hard connection failure.

aik_au

Post Posted August 14th, 2018, 6:39 pm

I do this when I remember but since my company forces changing password every 3 months, twice a year I forget to delete password and close TB and get blocked out. Sounds like a bug really...

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 14th, 2018, 7:05 pm

The blocking out sounds like your admin has too restrictive a policy for the number of failed login attempts to the mail server. What exactly do you think Thunderbird should do different? I looked in a old IMAP log file where it tried to log in with the wrong password and it tried three times before reporting an error. That seems reasonable. Keep in mind that it has to login before it can select a folder, and it normally selects the inbox first.

If you use Lightning (or another calendar add-on such as ReminderFox) why not just create a re-occurring event that reminds you to delete/change the passwords every 3 months?

aik_au

Post Posted August 14th, 2018, 7:17 pm

tanstaafl wrote:The blocking out sounds like your admin has too restrictive a policy for the number of failed login attempts to the mail server.

It is indeed but this is out of my reach :(

tanstaafl wrote:What exactly do you think Thunderbird should do different? I looked in a old IMAP log file where it tried to log in with the wrong password and it tried three times before reporting an error. That seems reasonable. Keep in mind that it has to login before it can select a folder, and it normally selects the inbox first.

3 tries before reporting error is wrong, it should report an error after the first try imho. What is the point in trying if the server clearly says "no"? Can I tweak somehow this counter from 3 to 1?

For example, the Claws mail stops after the first failure.

tanstaafl wrote:If you use Lightning (or another calendar add-on such as ReminderFox) why not just create a re-occurring event that reminds you to delete/change the passwords every 3 months?

This is just an ugly workaround imho.

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 14th, 2018, 7:53 pm

"What is the point in trying if the server clearly says "no"? Can I tweak somehow this counter from 3 to 1?"

I'm guessing, but probably because sometimes there are transmission problems. Keep in mind that there are DSL, WiFi, cellular, satellite and even the occasional dialup user. I've also known of overloaded IMAP servers that deliberately failed on the first login attempt to buy more time though I haven't seen that for many years.

I'm not aware of a setting to change the retry count but its possible I just can't figure out the right keyword to search for.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=607935
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182362
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1223689

Return to Thunderbird Support