MozillaZine

Junk filter and Address Book

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Windmill

Post Posted April 16th, 2018, 10:58 pm

tanstaafl, thank you. I found the tab Preferences -> Security -> Junk tab. The settings are such that messages marked as junk are moved to the account's Junk folder. And I have enabled adaptive junk filter logging.
I have both address books (Personal Address Book and Collected Addresses) checkmarked to be whitelisted.

The advice which I received yesterday, to remove the msf files and have them re-created, did not help. After doing this did still email from whitelisted addresses get moved to the Junk folder.

wsmwk

Post Posted April 16th, 2018, 11:12 pm

You'll want to see what the junk log indicates. If there is not an entry in the filter log for the message you don't want moved..
- Do you have a filter (tools > filters) set to move the messages?
- The message in the junk folder has a flame in the junk status column, or no?

Windmill

Post Posted April 16th, 2018, 11:41 pm

Filters: no, I have no filters set.

I notice that the following sequence takes place: a new message gets downloaded from the mail server (Yahoo, in my case). If this message is considered by Thunderbird to be junk is it moved directly to the Junk folder. This message gets a flame in the junk status column. Upon clicking this flame is the message moved to the Inbox folder. But then it will get a flame again. It will not be moved to the Junk folder but remains in the Inbox folder, albeit "flamed" and considered junk.

Windmill

Post Posted April 19th, 2018, 1:34 am

One more update from me: I notice that messages which are considered spam by Thunderbird are not placed in the folder called Junk, but in the folder called Bulk Mail.

And I can confirm that the issue has not yet gone away: I still receive some YouTube notifications in my Inbox (these are not marked as spam), and some notifications in the Bulk Mail folder (these are marked as spam). The address where these notifications are sent from is in my address book and this address book is whitelisted.

Return to Thunderbird Support