MozillaZine

Bookmarklet to capture a webpage with scrolling

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
user2018

Post Posted May 7th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I would like to do the following with a bookmarklet:
-Capture the current Firefox screen on view (e.g., by using "Take a screenshot" + "Save visible").
-Click the vertical scrollbar to advance one page.
-Capture again the current Firefox screen on view (e.g., by using "Take a screenshot" + "Save visible").
and repeat the process until the end is reached (it is not more possible to continue scrolling down).

I do this manually many times, so a bookmarklet would be a great productivity hack. I tried to find some inspiring bookmarklet or an existing one, without luck. Any ideas about how this could be done would be great.

jscher2000

Post Posted May 7th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Hmm, is there a reason that a full page screenshot doesn't meet your needs? For example, are you capturing a fixed height page with an interior scrolling region? (The yellow button in this document illustrates how that messes up taking a full page screenshot: https://www.userchrome.org/screenshot-tester.html.)

I don't think a bookmarklet can operate the Page Actions menu or click the Save Visible button (which is in a frame inserted when you click Take a Screenshot). You might instead look for an add-on which saves images the way you want.

user2018

Post Posted May 8th, 2020, 12:07 am

Thank you very much for the tips! The thing is that, with some webpages, a full page screenshot will generate a very large image, that I would prefer to have in pieces. I tried to find some add-on to do this, but I did not find any doing exactly this. I will try to look again.

Return to Firefox Support