MozillaZine

New Computer Profile Question (Solved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 9:49 am

I used Laplink's PCMover to transfer as mucg information as possible to the new machine. The Firefox and Thunderbird profiles were copied, but not the *.ini files I cana easily copy those; is there anything else that needs to be done?
Last edited by John Liebson on May 2nd, 2020, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 123665
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 10:10 am

Any particular reason that the .ini files were not transferred?
Is the Windows user name the same on both machines?

Grumpus

User avatar
 
Posts: 12564
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 4:23 am
Location: ... Da' Swamp

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 10:11 am

This link is old but might help Profile Backup has links for migrating.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 10:31 am

DanRaisch wrote:Any particular reason that the .ini files were not transferred?
Is the Windows user name the same on both machines?


Since when is a reason needed for anything...

Your question may well provide the reason, as the user names are different. Is that going to make the *.ini files invalid? If so, other than panicking, what do I need to do?

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 10:33 am

Grumpus wrote:This link is old but might help Profile Backup has links for migrating.


I don't know that that would help; as far as I can tell, everything other than the *.ini files was transferred.

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 9908
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 10:37 am

With Fx closed copy Profile to a Flash Drive, paste contents into empty new profile folder..done.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ba ... x-profiles
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 10:54 am

mightyglydd wrote:With Fx closed copy Profile to a Flash Drive, paste contents into empty new profile folder..done.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ba ... x-profiles


Why would I do that, given that the profiles are already on the new computer?I believe that the only things missing are the *.ini files, subject to my being corrected.

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 9908
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 11:05 am

Because that's a way to safely transfer Firefox profiles, not with some dodgy software...done it three times in the last few months, five minutes no problems....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 12:06 pm

mightyglydd wrote:Because that's a way to safely transfer Firefox profiles, not with some dodgy software...done it three times in the last few months, five minutes no problems....


What makes you think that I would use "dodgy software"? Laplink is an industry standard; the company was founded 1 January 1983. Does not work for everyone; in fact, did not work at first for me this time, unlike four years ago when i used it to transfer from what is now my wife's computer to this one which I have used for over four years and will replace her present machine once I have been convinced that I have everything that I need installed on the new machine.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 123665
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 3:12 pm

John Liebson wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Any particular reason that the .ini files were not transferred?
Is the Windows user name the same on both machines?


Since when is a reason needed for anything...


No reason to be so defensive, John. I asked about the .ini files because you specifically noted that they had not been transferred, which made me wonder if you felt there was some reason not to move them. Hard to offer help/guidance when we don't know what assumptions the user is making or why they have done what they have done before asking for help.

John Liebson wrote:Your question may well provide the reason, as the user names are different. Is that going to make the *.ini files invalid? If so, other than panicking, what do I need to do?

Firefox uses the .ini files to locate the profile to be used by default, and the location in which it looks for that profile is, in part, defined by the Windows user name. For instance: C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder> Different Win user names, or same user name but a different profile name can mean a possible failure to locate the profile.
Knowledge Base wrote:Up one directory from your profile is the Profiles directory which contains one or more profiles, and one directory above that is the Firefox directory which contains Crash Reports directory, Profiles directory, and profiles.ini file. The profiles.ini is a map of profiles used by the Profile Manager.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 2nd, 2020, 4:42 am

DanRaisch wrote:
John Liebson wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Any particular reason that the .ini files were not transferred?
Is the Windows user name the same on both machines?


Since when is a reason needed for anything...


No reason to be so defensive, John. I asked about the .ini files because you specifically noted that they had not been transferred, which made me wonder if you felt there was some reason not to move them. Hard to offer help/guidance when we don't know what assumptions the user is making or why they have done what they have done before asking for help.


John Liebson wrote:Your question may well provide the reason, as the user names are different. Is that going to make the *.ini files invalid? If so, other than panicking, what do I need to do?

Firefox uses the .ini files to locate the profile to be used by default, and the location in which it looks for that profile is, in part, defined by the Windows user name. For instance: C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder> Different Win user names, or same user name but a different profile name can mean a possible failure to locate the profile.
Knowledge Base wrote:Up one directory from your profile is the Profiles directory which contains one or more profiles, and one directory above that is the Firefox directory which contains Crash Reports directory, Profiles directory, and profiles.ini file. The profiles.ini is a map of profiles used by the Profile Manager.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file


Sorry that you read it as defensive, it was, rather, a comment on the ironies of life.

It is rather early in the day to deal with this. I have bookmarked the linked article. Without having read it, but having read your reply, am I correct that you are saying that the existing *.ini files won't work due to the name change? As to why they were not moved, I can only assume that PCmover did not recognize them. I will take a look at its user guide later to see if there is any mention of such files.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 123665
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted May 2nd, 2020, 4:55 am

am I correct that you are saying that the existing *.ini files won't work due to the name change?

That would be the usual expectation.

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 2nd, 2020, 7:29 am

DanRaisch wrote:
am I correct that you are saying that the existing *.ini files won't work due to the name change?

That would be the usual expectation.


Then is is likely a good thing that the Fx and Tb .ini files were not transferred, as well as my having learned here not to start either one.

I took a look at the PCmover user guide, which does not speak about such files, but does mention others. I would have to restart the process to see if .ini files are even listed in one of the modules where you can select/reject items, plus a list of files that are not going to be transferred.

Given that, I am going to continue to impose on you for instructions, advice, call it what you wish. I have looked at the profile.ini document you provided the link to, which is rather confusing, as it refers you to a second document, which refers you to a third. I have checked both computers, which have the same profiles in the correct AppData\Roaming locations. What I got from looking at the documents in question is that what I should do is start, for example, Firefox. exe -p, which will bring up the profile manager with the two profiles, and that will create a new .ini file.

Is that correct, or is it completely wrong? It must be obvious that I don't want to damage the profiles that PCMover copied from the older to the newer computer by doing something deleterious. Whatever you tell me to do properly will also be done later. Once I get Fx and Tb working, I should be about ready to start using the new computer regularly, with the old one available if I find something missing from the transfer process. Once that is done, I will do a Windows Reset on the old computer, then use my second-use PCmover license to transfer from my wife's computer (a six-year-old Dell Inspiron) to the Dell XPS 8900; that should improve her work as she continues to grade/comment her students work.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 123665
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted May 2nd, 2020, 1:39 pm

Try just copying the profiles.ini file for Firefox from the old system to the new, pasting it into the equivalent location in the profile on the new machine. Then launch Firefox and see if there is any error.

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 2nd, 2020, 2:29 pm

DanRaisch wrote:Try just copying the profiles.ini file for Firefox from the old system to the new, pasting it into the equivalent location in the profile on the new machine. Then launch Firefox and see if there is any error.


Wow! That is English for `that was entirely too easy. I certainly than you. I wonder why my mozillaZine password, saved in Keypass, was suddenly rejected, and then, after I sent the reset request, I had to try three or four times to log on here. (Once, again, `reason' once again appears.)

Given how successful this was with Fx, should I do the same thing for Tb?

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], greenknight and 6 guests