MozillaZine

read pdf from firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
zivshosh

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 2:28 am

Greetings
I changed in firefox options -> applications -> to preview in firefox but it keeps changing back to save file.
Is there a place where I should save so preview will be a permanent option?
and another question:
when I search an html page with ctrl-F it opens a lower bar. Is there a way to set this bar to be upper bar?
(add search bar in options is for Google search, I mean search text on current page with ctrl-F)
thank you

DanRaisch

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 4:16 am

I changed in firefox options -> applications -> to preview in firefox but it keeps changing back to save file.
Is there a place where I should save so preview will be a permanent option?

Are you using any cleanup utility like Ccleaner on that computer?
Also, make sure that the file prefs.js in the Firefox profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox ) is not set to read-only status.

zivshosh

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 5:27 am

Thank you
I don't trust ccleaner hence I don't use it
I have 2 profiles one is probably older (2019)
I set the two prefs.js to read only

DanRaisch

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 5:31 am

No, you don't want to have prefs.js set to read only. That will prevent Firefox saving changes to settings when you wish to make them.

jscher2000

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 12:40 pm

That particular choice should be saved in the handlers.json file in your profile folder.

If your computer is in a managed environment (settings are pushed to it by an IT department) then it could be the company preference to download PDFs rather than preview them. But in that case, you usually don't have the ability to switch it, so that's probably not the problem.

therube

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 1:03 pm

If server mime-type is wrong (or similar, purposely or not) you may be forced to download rather then being able to open embedded in FF itself.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

zivshosh

Post Posted April 29th, 2020, 3:20 am

indeed setting prefs.js to read-only didn't help
what I'm trying to do is read a pdf a a web page.
viewing pdf via firefox doesn't help
uploading the pdf to google drive and using the link doesn't help either (so it rules out any cloud)
the point is that when reading a web page I can use a dictionary. The pdf i'm trying to read is an article and a dictionary would be helpful.
recently I saw pdfs from the web beginning with moz-extensions://
how can I view my pdf with moz-extensions://?
thank you

DanRaisch

Post Posted April 29th, 2020, 4:32 am

You are not following what we're recommending. I said:
No, you don't want to have prefs.js set to read only. That will prevent Firefox saving changes to settings when you wish to make them.

jscher2000

Post Posted April 29th, 2020, 12:29 pm

zivshosh wrote:what I'm trying to do is read a pdf a a web page. ... the point is that when reading a web page I can use a dictionary.

Okay, yes, the built-in PDF Viewer is off-limits to extension content scripts, so your dictionaries, translators, highlighters, etc., cannot work in PDFs displayed in the built-in viewer.

There is a web app version of the viewer which is not subject to those restrictions. If you have a PDF on your system, you can load it into the web app viewer and inject content scripts to your heart's content. Mozilla has a demo of it here -- anything you load is loaded locally in the tab and not sent to the server. Look for the Open File button (folder icon) between the Presentation Mode and Print buttons on the viewer's black toolbar to get started.

https://mozilla.github.io/pdf.js/web/viewer.html

P.S. I think you'll like its search bar, too.

You might wonder: is there a way to automatically load PDFs from the web into that viewer, or a personal copy of it? I haven't heard of one, but since there are add-ons that can intercept RSS feeds, maybe there's a way to intercept PDFs, too.

zivshosh

Post Posted April 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm

thanks jscher2000
I did not understand which web app viewer you talk about
the link is indeed an html representing what looks like a pdf
the toolbar is familiar from firefox options general-> applications -> preview file and needless to say the dictionary I work with is not there
or else I didn't understand you completely
thanks again

jscher2000

Post Posted April 30th, 2020, 8:43 am

zivshosh wrote:I did not understand which web app viewer you talk about

https://mozilla.github.io/pdf.js/web/viewer.html
the link is indeed an html representing what looks like a pdf
the toolbar is familiar from firefox options general-> applications -> preview file and needless to say the dictionary I work with is not there

The PDF viewer has its own toolbar immediately above the document. It has a black background and usually says Automatic Zoom in the center. Look on the right side of that bar for the icons I was referring to.

Return to Firefox Support