MozillaZine

change location of firefox profile data

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dpa

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 1:09 pm

I want to change the location of my Firefox profile data to My Documents folder labeled Mozilla Firefox Profile Data so that I can back it all up in case of a problem. I'm using Firefox 75 and Windows 10. So far all the articles I've found are not current and describe using the Profile Manager. I hope someone can help me. I am not a tech so I need easy instructions please. Thank you.

jscher2000

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 2:23 pm

I don't know whether you can move the profiles.ini and installs.ini files from their normal location of

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox

However, the paths in those files can point to other parts of your main drive or other drives to accommodate placing the actual profile folders themselves in other locations.

Moving an existing folder will break some things because certain file paths are hardcoded in profile files, especially related to extensions. I don't know the feasibility of repairing those paths manually; I recall it coming up in other threads here, on Reddit, and/or on Mozilla Support and it sounded a little tricky.

dpa

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 3:11 pm

ok maybe someone will have an idea cause the older instructions I found seemed to imply you can.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Bad bad idea maybe doable a long time ago without the possibility of disaster but the program has changed since then. Just backup your profile folder regularly
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

dpa

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 3:48 pm

ok thanks for the warning! it's just not easy since it's in such a different location as my docs.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Type about:support into the address bar and hit enter. You will see profile folder in that list and an open folder button
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

dpa

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 4:00 pm

ok

baerd

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Here's a link to create, remove, and switch Firefox profiles:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... le-manager

You can create a new profile in your My Documents folder and then delete all the files in it. Then copy all the files in your old profile into the new one. You probably won't have any problems doing this, I just copied a Firefox profile from Windows to Linux like this a few days ago and everything worked okay.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 10:00 pm

You going to be there for him when it all goes pear shaped?
"Terry Pratchett"

dpa

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 2:22 pm

well the last comment clearly makes me nervous!

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 2:55 pm

One of the reasons we don't recommend shifting profiles is its ok if you have reasonable tech skills and keep good backups but it is not trivial and can lead to data loss of more than just your Firefox profile. Of course you are going to get 10 tech nerds saying its easy but then they don't have to clean up after your masters thesis gets wiped from mydocs because of a misstep
"Terry Pratchett"

dpa

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 5:28 pm

ok thanks maliz

therube

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 1:02 pm

I rambled about Profiles, https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32734242-.

I don't know whether you can move the profiles.ini and installs.ini files from their normal location of
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox

AFAIK, that is correct.

Anyhow, you should be able to have Profiles virtually anywhere.
Not particularly familiar with FF post profilemania (after FF 66), but should still be do-able.
(Devil's in the details.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 3:49 pm

therube wrote:Not particularly familiar with FF post profilemania (after FF 66), but should still be do-able.

Don't answer if you don't know you just confuse people with all the extraneous rubbish
"Terry Pratchett"

Return to Firefox Support