MozillaZine

Firefox 74 takes over computer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tom Austin

Post Posted April 1st, 2020, 8:51 pm

Windows 8.1 reliable machine. Firefox 74 has started hanging up loading certain sites. I've disabled all my extensions and it still hangs on, for example, the following site:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in ... e-by-state

At the bottom it says "loading data from theguardian..." or something like that. The hard drive light is solid and the mouse is barely responsive. When it is it's slow and jerky.

When I start FF in safe mode, it runs ok. But when I start FF normally, even with all extensions disabled, I can barely move my mouse. The X to stop the loading doesn't work. The X to close the tab doesn't work. I can't even get the red X at the top right to close the program.

Sometimes after several minutes I get a dialog warning of an unresponsive script (chrome://browser/conten/tabbrowswer.js:1296). Stopping it takes a while.
I also got chrome://global/content/editMenuOverly.js:26.

I try ALT-CTRL-DELETE to end the FF process, and it takes forever to get first to a black screen with a slow cursor, sometimes never getting to the Task Manager. Meanwhile I can't do anything else with my computer.

I don't want to reboot because when I tried it while FF was carrying on like this, I got the dreaded blue screen. Fortunately it repaired itself.

How can I keep FF from taking over my computer like this?

bob c

Post Posted April 2nd, 2020, 2:34 am

win 7X64 FF74--5 extensions--no problem with site

LIMPET235

Post Posted April 2nd, 2020, 2:51 am

See if the suggestion by smsmith
helps out...
> viewtopic.php?p=14861089#p14861089

For reference...
When in Safe Mode...
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The JIT/Javascript compiler is disabled.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled..
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Tom Austin

Post Posted April 2nd, 2020, 7:47 am

THANKS! Disabling Hardware Acceleration fixed it. WHEW! All good now.

Now I'd like to know why this works and hasn't been needed until now.

therube

Post Posted April 4th, 2020, 7:31 am

Whew!

I'll confirm the issue. On my end, that was BAD.

(Now let me see if HA makes a difference...)

Disabling HA helps.
That page still causes FF to eat CPU, but at least things are now manageable & it doesn't affect ALL system performance.

Intel I5-3570k
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, driver: 10.18.10.4885

Perhaps related, Bug 1606162 Playing video on Videobin.co results in high CPU - in ntoskrnl.exe, Windows 7.
(Like with that Bug, with HA enabled, that theguardian.com page also caused high CPU usage in ntoskrnl.exe. And I'll note that that high CPU usage persisted [for a fairly long time] even after FF was closed [completely], & all during that time all system operations were severely hampered.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

bob c

Post Posted April 4th, 2020, 8:51 am

Interesting.. I have HA enabled, and the site works perfectly. Content process limit is set to 8. 32 M's of memory and running absolutely no V Memory. win7X64

therube

Post Posted April 4th, 2020, 10:34 am

(Different computer setups can see different effects.)

I filed, Bug 1627453 Layers hardware acceleration causing high memory consumption on theguardian.com.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

smsmith

Post Posted April 4th, 2020, 1:44 pm

therube wrote:(Different computer setups can see different effects.)

Exactly. And sometimes a driver update causes an issue, or Firefox is updated for the newest driver, but maybe you have an older driver, or probably 100 other scenarios. Given that the OP and others in this thread are using older visions of Windows (7, 8.1) this probably will never get "fixed" for you, but after the next driver update or Firefox update you should turn it back on and see if performance improves.

Also note that hardware acceleration may affect some sites but not others.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Return to Firefox Support