MozillaZine

Problems Moving from Old Firefox to Current. [Linux.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kenmorgan

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 1:31 pm

For some time now I used Firefox ESR 52.8.0. But for several reasons, I am now forced to get the new one.

:(

And, of course, I have run into a number of problems. Here are a couple questions--maybe more are coming.

:shock:

(1) This first one is not really a question, but a "bitter complaint." :lol: I can hardly get the mouse into that skinny, vertical "line" on the far right to go up or down on a Web page. It was roughly twice as wide on the old Firefox. Also, that line is missing the two squares, one at its top and own at its bottom, which allowed one to move the Web page up or down by holding the mouse down on the square.

(2) In the third line down (the one that starts with the two arrows pointing left and right), the new Firefox includes "https://" on some Web sites and on others it doesn't. For example, why does "AmericanThinker" have a "https://" in front while your mozillaZine Web site has only "forums.mozillazine.org"? Note even an "http://"! I'd like to see the "https://" or "http://" on every Web site I visit so I can tell whether or not it has the security "s". Is there a way to make the new Firefox to do that?

(3) "Edit" ---> "Preferences," as always, brings up the controls we have over Firefox. I must say that the page that comes up is not as nice-looking as my old Firefox ESR 52.8.0. But be that as it may, let's go down to "Cookies and Site Data." There are three items one can click: "Clear Data," "Manage Data," and Manage Permissions." When I first installed the new Firefox, I clicked "Manage Data." I was absolutely outraged! What are all those Web sites doing on my Firefox????? There must have been close to 200. I wanted to "Remove All," but fortunately I looked at "Manage Permissions" first. I had cookies turned off when I switched from the old Firefox to this new Firefox, but I had put on about 20 or so that I needed to access certain Web sites. They are now listed under "Manage Permissions." I want to eliminate that outrageous list "Manage Data," but my question is this: can I do a "Remove All" on "Manage Data" WITHOUT losing my few cookies on "Manage Permissions"?

(4) On the same subject, how do I keep the new Firefox from putting ANY cookies on "Manage Data" that I don't personally put in myself?

Well, that all for now. Thanks so much for helping me.

Ken
Last edited by LIMPET235 on March 31st, 2020, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Linux] to the title.
CentOS 6 Linux

jscher2000

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 7:25 pm

For #1, that might be a system setting. At least on Windows, Firefox has a pretty boring scrollbar.

For #2, toggle this setting in about:config from true to false: browser.urlbar.trimURLs

For #3, clearing cookies in Manage Data does not affect permissions.

If you want to accidentally clear your permission settings, you can do that in the History section, with custom settings, with "Clear history when Firefox closes" turned on, and "Site Preferences" checked in the settings. That will clear your permissions.

For #4, you'll probably break a lot of sites if you block cookies by default. If you want to try it anyway, that is now in the Enhanced Tracking Protection section (called Content Blocking in Firefox 68), Custom settings.

kenmorgan

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 8:31 am

Thanks so much, jscher! Here's what I did:

#2: This worked. (I was going to put a smiley here, but they are all missing! Could my changes have done this?)

#3: I cleared all cookies in Manage Data, and as you said, the few I had in Manage Permissions stayed there!

#4 I think I did what you suggested here. However, when I opened two Web sites for testing, closed Firefox, and then opened Firefox, there were already 13 Wed sites in Manage Data. What I did in "Content Blocking" must not have done the trick! How exactly do I keep ANYTHING and EVERYTHING from being put in Manage Data?
CentOS 6 Linux

jscher2000

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 10:43 am

What setting did you choose for cookies in Content Blocking / Custom? The most extreme is to block All Cookies.

kenmorgan

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 11:25 am

Yes, I selected "Custom" and then put a check mark on all four items to block. In addition for "Cookies," I selected "All cookies." I also removed all cookies from "Manage Data." Then I closed Firefox and reopened it. Next I pulled up three Web sites for a test and again closed Firefox, and reopened it. The result: another bunch of cookies were in "Manage Data."
CentOS 6 Linux

jscher2000

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Hmm, that seems very wrong. Could you check this preference:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste cook and pause while the list is filtered

Has the value of network.cookie.cookieBehavior preference been modified to 2 ?

kenmorgan

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Sorry for the delay. Yes, "network.cookie.cookieBehavior" is modified to "2".
CentOS 6 Linux

jscher2000

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 3:43 pm

What websites are setting cookies that do not have permission (in Manage Permissions) to do so?

kenmorgan

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 4:13 pm

I'll be back shortly and will run the test again to be sure.
CentOS 6 Linux

kenmorgan

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 5:18 pm

I'm tempted to say that "Manage Data" is inconsistent. But that shouldn't happen with computer programs.

(1) When I clear everything, close and restart Firefox, Manage Data is empty. When I then run this forum, "addons.mozilla.org" appears. This forum is NOT in Manage Permissions.

(2) Start over again. I run dictionary.com, which IS in Manage Permissions. That appears in Manage Data, both "dictionary.com" and "www.dictionary.com." Sometimes there are ALSO 5 additional Web site and sometimes 8. I'm familiar with none of these.

(3) Start over again. I left Manage Data empty, but after restarting, "dictionary.com" is back in Manage Data and is all alone! This only happened once, as I recall.

(4) Start over again. I run americanthinker.com, which is NOT in Manage Permissions. Nothing appears in Manage Data.

(5) Start over again. I run snb-t.com, which IS in Manage Permissions. Nothing appears in Manage Data.

If I remember accurately these experiments, there certainly seems to be inconsistencies.
CentOS 6 Linux

jscher2000

Post Posted March 25th, 2020, 11:39 am

For #1, there could be special handling for Mozilla sites used by built-in pages or checking for updates. In these cases, the cookies may be only for internal purposes and not when you visit the site. That's how the Google Safe Browsing PREF cookie is supposed to work.

For #2, for dictionary.com, that makes sense: permission on the root domain can extend to the subdomains. Not sure about the others, that sounds sketchy unless it was something Firefox needs to access for internal purposes. More info on those: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections

For #3, perhaps the addons.mozilla.org cookie was a session cookie -- those expire and are removed when you close Firefox.

For #4, meets expectations.

For #5, maybe the site didn't set a cookie?

kenmorgan

Post Posted March 26th, 2020, 10:35 am

Thanks again!

I guess this is just confusing to me. But what I was hoping to find was a way to keep Manage Data empty whether I go on a Web site that is on Manage Permissions or whether I go on a Web site that is not on Manage Permissions. Is there a way to do that?
CentOS 6 Linux

jscher2000

Post Posted March 26th, 2020, 1:28 pm

No, if there are cookies or storage for a site, it is listed in Manage Data. Like the old "View Cookies" dialog.

kenmorgan

Post Posted March 26th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Okay, I'll "grin and bear it." :(

(1) But from what you just said, why do many sites I go to put up a statement telling me I have to put their cookie on Firefox in order for there Web site to work? Of course, that was with Firefox ESR 52.8.0, not the current 68.6.0esr. Will these Web sites no longer tell me to do that now that I have 68.6.0esr and "Manage Data"?

(2) Also, is there any reason why I can't remove all the Web site cookies that will (unfortunately) appeared on "Manage Data" on a regular basis--like everyday? :roll:
CentOS 6 Linux

jscher2000

Post Posted March 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm

kenmorgan wrote:(1) But from what you just said, why do many sites I go to put up a statement telling me I have to put their cookie on Firefox in order for there Web site to work? Of course, that was with Firefox ESR 52.8.0, not the current 68.6.0esr. Will these Web sites no longer tell me to do that now that I have 68.6.0esr and "Manage Data"?

You are blocking cookies. If a site is designed to require cookies, and you are blocking their cookies, they will tell you. If you create an exception for a site, the objection should cease.

"Manage Data" just shows you the cookies that have been set. It is not relevant to whether sites complain.

(2) Also, is there any reason why I can't remove all the Web site cookies that will (unfortunately) appeared on "Manage Data" on a regular basis--like everyday? :roll:

If you don't want those cookies to carry over to your next session, you can set Firefox to delete them when it closes. That's the checkbox in the Cookies and Site Data section. That checkbox honors exceptions, so if you set "Allow" exceptions for Site 1, and Site 1 set persistent cookies with a future expiration date, then those won't be cleared.

Return to Firefox Support