MozillaZine

sending email calls up all users profile box

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bob c

Post Posted September 29th, 2019, 12:11 pm

before the forums close (hopefully not), thought I might as well ask this?

FF69 Thunderbird 60.8 Win 7X64

I have 1 install of FF on machine, with 2 profiles, mine and wife. If I send an email by clicking on email symbol on FF toolbar, it calls up thunderbird's user profile box, where I have to choose my profile in thunderbird, so it opens for me to send the email. Same thing if she is in her FF profile, and wants to send an email, (say the addy for a page she is looking at), she clicks the email symbol on the toolbar in FF, in her profile, and the thunderbird user profile box comes up where she has to choose her thunderbird profile so it opens to send the email.

Is there any way (by a userChrome or perfs.js entry), to make it so when your in your FF profile, and click the toolbar email symbol, it automatically opens the correct thunderbird profile, takes you to it, without having to choose.

kerft

Post Posted September 29th, 2019, 12:44 pm

You could consider each having a windows user account, and then in her windows user have one each her firefox and thunderbird profile, and in the other have yours.

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm

One solution would be to specify the profiles location using a -profile "path" command line argument when it spawns Thunderbird. That ignores what the default profile is in Thunderbird's profiles.ini and uses the specified profile instead. Since you each have your own Firefox profile you could have separate customizations. In my case I'd use

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\Thunderbird.exe" -profile C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\feu8hx1l.default-release

The double quotes are needed due to the embedded space.

However, Firefox appears to be too locked down to do that. What looks like an edit field for the email client command line when you click on the applications details in option -> applications -> mailto isn't one. One potential workaround would have been to create a one line batch file that spawns Thunderbird using the desired command line arguments, and select it as the helper app in "use Other". However, that list box only supports browsing for .exe/.com files.

I tried adding another email client (I used "eM Client") and then searching about:config to see where "C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe" was stored. Couldn't find it (or MailClient.exe). If I did, I would have edited that string to call Thunderbird with the desired command line argument instead.

A quick search didn't find an add-on that would help. The mailto add-on for example supports a template for the message but no customization of the command line. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_the_ ... in_Firefox and https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... mail-links are useless.

You said you currently have Thunderbird's profiles.ini configured to always ask what profile you want to use. I assume that popup doesn't get displayed when Firefox calls Thunderbird for a mailto link. If it did, then you could use that for mailto's and add two Thunderbird shortcuts to the taskbar that specified the profiles location using -profile "path" in the "shortcut" tab's target edit field in the Thunderbird shortcuts properties, to avoid getting asked what profile to use when you use the shortcut.

Perhaps the problem is that you have a default profile configured in profiles.ini. Try using the Thunderbird profile manager to specify that none of the profiles is the default. Hopefully, that will launch the profile manager when you click on a mailto link (and are configured to use Thunderbird). However, its possible it will decide it can't find a profile instead and will call the new account wizard to create one. You'll have to experiment.

morat

Post Posted September 30th, 2019, 4:26 am

Try editing the handlers.json file.

"name":"MailClient.exe","path":"C:\\Program Files\\eM Client\\MailClient.exe"

I changed "C:\\Program Files\\eM Client\\MailClient.exe" to "C:\\ShowArguments.vbs" as a test to show the arguments the browser sends to the mail client.

* ShowArguments.vbs

Code: Select all
Option Explicit
Dim strPrompt
Dim intResult

ReDim arrArguments(WScript.Arguments.Count - 1)

Dim i
For i = 0 To WScript.Arguments.Count - 1
  arrArguments(i) = WScript.Arguments(i)
Next

If WScript.Arguments.Count = 0 Then
  strPrompt = ""
Else
  strPrompt = Join(arrArguments, ",")
End If
intResult = MsgBox(strPrompt, vbOKOnly, "Show Arguments")

therube

Post Posted October 3rd, 2019, 12:07 pm

(No idea if something like this can work...)

Can handlers.json obtain the Profile "name" through a variable (like it uses %s to pass the mailto: address)?
If so, say %p, then if you set up TB with the same Profile name as used in FF, then maybe you could do something like:

Code: Select all
{"name":"TB.exe -P %p","path":"C:\\TB\TB.exe"},

That way when you open FF with profile, husband, TB would (read that name &) also open with husband.
And when FF is opened in profile, wife, TB would also open with wife.

(Since FF 67, there is no telling how Profiles may or may not work, & then when you also throw TB "Quantum" into the mix... The words, glutton for punishment, comes to mind ;-).)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Return to Firefox Support