MozillaZine

Dating apps (web versions) can't get my location right

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alfred001

Post Posted September 25th, 2019, 3:06 pm

I hope you fellas take this very seriously as my love life is at stake.

I'm using both Tinder and Bumble, on my computer, not my phone, and neither get my location right. Both put me waaay off, which, obviously, is a problem. I can't go on dates with girls that live a 100 kms away. I've talked to customer support and they've been of no help at all.

I've previously successfully used a Firefox add on called Change Geolocation (location Guard). This worked on Bumble for a while and now it's stopped working for no apparent reason. It still works on some of those web pages that show you your location, but it doesn't work on Bumble nor Tinder.

On Chrome, I've been able to bamboozle Tinder through manually setting my latitude and longitude through DevTools, but, from what I understand, this only works in the tab you have open and you have to do it every time you restart your browser.

So, I need a solution that works in Firefox (I don't typically use Chrome) or works on the general level of the computer (as opposed to the browser). You guys got any ideas?

I can't use my phone because I have an ancient phone and can't even install these apps on it.

jscher2000

Post Posted September 26th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Is the site completely reliant on your IP address for location, or does it ask Firefox for your precise location?

As a test, you can use this page:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Geolocation_API#Geolocation_Live_Example

Scroll down and click the "Show my location" button. Do you get the permission request dropping down from the left end of the address bar? If not, perhaps permission to ask has been denied or geolocation has been disabled.

On the Options page, Privacy & Security panel, Permissions, section, click the "Settings" button to the right of Location. If the checkbox is set for "Block new requests asking to access your location" uncheck that, Save Changes, then try the test page again. Now do you get a prompt?

If not, here's the next thing to check:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste geo and pause while the list is filtered

(3) If the geo.enabled preference is bolded and "modified" or "user set" to false, double-click it to restore the default value of true

Then test again. Any progress?

If you can get it to work on the test page, can you get your dating site to request it?

Alfred001

Post Posted October 1st, 2019, 11:36 am

Thanks for the help, jscher2000! I managed to solve the problem in the interim by installing Location Guard (which is a different extension than the one I had earlier, even tho it has almost an identical name).

Return to Firefox Support