MozillaZine

[SOLVED] Dictionaries in versions 69.0+

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

Post Posted September 21st, 2019, 2:32 pm

Using the latest version FF US English for Windows, I noticed that the US dictionary is no longer included, and had to install it as an extension? I have no problem with that, except that the red underline of non-existent words do not always display, as opposed to previous versions where it was always reliable. Is there anything I could do about it?
Last edited by ineuw on October 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.1 64 bit with the latest FF release

dickvl

Post Posted September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 pm

The en-US Firefox version should still come with the en-US dictionary, but bundled dictionaris are stroed in an omni.ja archive Just like other builtin extensions.
chrome://browser/content/built_in_addons.json
resource://gre/dictionaries/

You should see this dictionary if you right-click in a text area and open the Languages menu (Check Spelling needs to have a tick).

ineuw

Post Posted September 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

Thanks. That is what I thought. Always use the US English version even though I am elsewhere. The problem was that both FF 69.0.0 and 69.0.1 on initial installation the context menu was empty, so I installed it. Now the extension is removed and the built in US English shows up in the context menu. The effect of two dictionaries was that the spell check didn't underline errors, but now it works.
Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.1 64 bit with the latest FF release

Return to Firefox Support