MozillaZine

How can I get my old profile to Firefox 67?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Dirki

Post Posted May 23rd, 2019, 4:14 am

I just updated Firefox to 67. How can I get back my old profile, settings to the new one, the updated Firefox?
- Windows 10 Home, 64bit
- newest stable portable Firefox (not beta)
- newest stable portable Thunderbird (not beta)

kerft

Post Posted May 23rd, 2019, 4:57 am

Normally users updating normally - ones who have only run the release version ever - would have kept the same profile and nothing would have changed. These threads discuss a case where Firefox will accidentally make a new profile: https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... w_profile/
You may be able to force Firefox to use your old profile, by going to URL about:profiles and selecting the correct one as default.

If that does not work, this tells you how to copy parts not all of your profile from an old to a new. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox Note - in the situation you are in, if you copy prefs.js or the whole folder, Firefox may refuse to use the profile. There are folders to copy to try to get some extensions and extension settings copied. However it may be easiest or best to copy only bookmarks and passwords, and to reinstall the extensions and reset their settings manually. Your prefs.js could be the biggest loss. Hopefully, changing the default profile in about:profiles will let you avoid that.

Since your signature mentions using portable firefox, there are times when using the update feature within portable Firefox does not work as well as downloading the new version from the portable firefox site and, after making a backup of your current portable firefox folders, using the new portable to replace the files in your old folder. Or, using the new installer to make a new portable folder and copying your data subfolder over to it. For additional help you may want to ask questions at the portable firefox forum.

Dirki

Post Posted May 23rd, 2019, 5:10 am

Many thanks, also for the links.

I had updated by clicking the link here:

In the new Firefox a message says Firefox has a new profile now, so it seems to be intended to lose once's profile after updating. And one shall register an account with Firefox / Mozilla and such.

Alright, I will try that about:profiles method and what is written on the pages your links leed to.

Many thanks again
- Windows 10 Home, 64bit

dickvl

Post Posted May 23rd, 2019, 12:43 pm

If you aren't able to select and use the old profile folder because of the new dedicated profile feature, try to remove compatibility.ini in the profile folder.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Dirki

Post Posted May 23rd, 2019, 12:52 pm

Alright, I will try it, thank you....yes, that works, great!
- Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 24th, 2019, 9:18 am

And one shall register an account with Firefox / Mozilla and such.

you have noticed the new button upper right to log on on sync? its an option, not more. take it or leave it.

you have mentioned before you had trouble with your problem profile, i think its time to rebuild from scratch and left the tuning behind, forget it. your problems are homemade and only special, not common. if there were common problems we will have a flood of complaints but there are not. and also my profiles were overtaken without flaw.
Last edited by Brummelchen on May 24th, 2019, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirki

Post Posted May 24th, 2019, 9:27 am

Alright, thank you!
- Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Return to Firefox Support